First time Offroading my new G550

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Since you speak so certainly, either you have alot of experience with V8 powered 463's on trail or you have none.
I have been with stock G500's in Death Valley in all conditions and stand by what I said.
:chef:

I could name hundreds upon hundreds of trails you can't drive one of these down past the first obstacle. There is no need for a pissing match and that is not what I am posting about. Rather, you guys can be the biggest fan boys you want, live in your own little world but when you interact with the rest of the world be ready for people to dispute ridiculous claims. ;)

Had you said something like 50% or similar I doubt anybody, myself included would have commented.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Agree.

Do what you want to the truck, run whatever tire + rim combo that suits you.....ect ect ect. But lets not go bending the truth.

Why is it G owners all refer to a soft top truck as a "Cabrio"!? I realize Benz calls them that but everybody else in the 4wd world calls it a soft top. Cabrio just sounds snotty or cheesy or like you are not in a 4wd. Doesn't VW call it's soft top Cabrio, along with the other European manufacturers? What is it a Euro thing!? :D

Yep, Euro nomenclature. Just like wagon = Avant(Audi), Estate(Mercedes), Touring(BMW). Strange brew.

Abeer

Here we are standing next to each other in DV buddy
:ylsmoke:

I was on the 405 freeway here in LA maybe 2 months ago and I think I saw this exact G with colorado plates. I was trying to keep up in my D90 but slight inclines means I couldnt keep up with that benz v8. Great looking rig.

edit: doesnt show the pic but its the one with the g-wagen accessories tire carrier.

jakescase

Observer
Re g offroad capability

My G550 has done every thing I have asked of it offroad(Moab,etc.) Haven't tried Rubicon yet. The only other vehicle I have owned that performed as well offroad was my Hummer (the real one) and its only advantage was the increased clearance . BTW, 0-60 in about 6 is interesting too.
If I could be enlightened about a few of the "hundreds" of trails my G couldn't do I'd like to try them. PM me if you'd like to keep them secret...

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
I was on the 405 freeway here in LA maybe 2 months ago and I think I saw this exact G with colorado plates. I was trying to keep up in my D90 but slight inclines means I couldnt keep up with that benz v8. Great looking rig.

edit: doesnt show the pic but its the one with the g-wagen accessories tire carrier.

Thank you for your kind words,

my G-500 Adventurewagen has been performing just fine and not only on the 405 Freeway. This G-wagen is outfitted by http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com

10041242hm.jpg

10041243jy.jpg

10041245xu.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
Agree.

Do what you want to the truck, run whatever tire + rim combo that suits you.....ect ect ect. But lets not go bending the truth.

Why is it G owners all refer to a soft top truck as a "Cabrio"!? I realize Benz calls them that but everybody else in the 4wd world calls it a soft top. Cabrio just sounds snotty or cheesy or like you are not in a 4wd. Doesn't VW call it's soft top Cabrio, along with the other European manufacturers? What is it a Euro thing!? :D

while i realize youre trolling the benz brainwashed, there is a "soft top" G called a wolf, its military. the cabrio top folds, its civilian. a soft top is permanent fixture and must be removed, whereas a cabrio is a convertible. its a distinction with a clear difference even outside of the G world.

example, if you own a rabbit and the top folds down but can stay on the car, you have cabrio, if you have 289 fia cobra and you have that useless rag that snaps over our head and must be removed, you have a soft top.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
while i realize youre trolling the benz brainwashed, there is a "soft top" G called a wolf, its military. the cabrio top folds, its civilian. a soft top is permanent fixture and must be removed, whereas a cabrio is a convertible. its a distinction with a clear difference even outside of the G world.

example, if you own a rabbit and the top folds down but can stay on the car, you have cabrio, if you have 289 fia cobra and you have that useless rag that snaps over our head and must be removed, you have a soft top.

Actually the Cobra would have what's called a bikini top.
Google image search is your friend on that one. :p

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
BF Goodrich 285/75 16 MT Km2 on the 7.5x16 Atik wheel.......unless you wanted to know about the Cobra, I do not do Ford:smiley_drive:

Heh i meant the ones on the Dub's ive been looking for a "lo pro" AT tire for my 18" rims on my X5... something a little more suited for logging roads than the current street tires.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Heh i meant the ones on the Dub's ive been looking for a "lo pro" AT tire for my 18" rims on my X5... something a little more suited for logging roads than the current street tires.

BFG makes the AT in a 31.5" 265/65x18 that might fit in your X5 fenders. If not, try looking at Tire rack for sizes like 265/60x18 or 285/60x18 depending on your x5 rim width. I think the x5 is smallish oem tire though, maybe 29" but if so, that's the same as a Discovery 3 oem which is 255/55x19 or 255/60x18. You might try the Nokian website to see what sizes the WRG2 suv comes in. They have some that will fit the x5 just fine and it's a great all year, even in snow, tire.

otiswesty

Regular guy

The Wolf soft top is actually officially called "Open Top" and can be rolled up with built in retainers along the upper margin. Definitely not a Cabrio, but just as cool in many ways. While there are both 460 and 463 cabrios, the open top is only made in the 461 series as 300GD, 230GE, 250GD, and 290GD. For those who want a 463 open top, maybe we'll make one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles