Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, I am amazed at how professional your prototypes are, and how well thought out they are. I memtioned your ideas in the 4x4Him Forum. I think that the more the word gets out, the more the demand will increase, maybe more marketers will come knocking on your door. I for one hope so, because I like all of your ideas.
Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words and the mentions in other places.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I ran across a new YJ frame crossmember on eBay today...

YJXmem.jpg

Here's the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-87-95-rear-frame-crossmember-NEW-/300745739819?hash=item4605d7ce2b&item=300745739819&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

If you're building your own frame this is a great piece for the rear - you get all the mounting holes for YJ bumperettes or many aftermarket YJ bumpers, hitches, etc.

I used a YJ crossmember on my yellow trailer frame, it's a great way to go.

FrameDone2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Scott's been working on a welded trailer to go along with the tub kits and he's come up with a really nice design.

It has a receiver on the front which will allow for multiple tongue options - a standard stubby one, and extra long one for carrying kayaks/canoes/etc, and heavy wall one which will accept a multi-axis coupler.

The frame can be set up with 29" 4 leaf trailer springs, Jeep YJ springs, a torsion axle or an independent air-bag suspension (for those with deeper pockets).

Here's a spy shot of the a prototype frame arriving at Scott's place, of course being transported on his trailer:

FrameSpy1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Set up as a kayak hauler...

ScottKayak.jpg

Also a good view of the new smooth tailgate set up in drop-down configuration.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader

I know there is this company making your short trailer, but do you have any plans on continuing one of those two long versions? I decided that once I'm done organizing the Southeastern Regional Overland Rally, I want to slowly start building my next trailer and I would love to get the panels for the "Commando Front Safari Overland Camper" (needs a shorter name though :elkgrin:).

Hope you continue tinkering, your stuff is awesome :clapsmile

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I know there is this company making your short trailer, but do you have any plans on continuing one of those two long versions? I decided that once I'm done organizing the Southeastern Regional Overland Rally, I want to slowly start building my next trailer and I would love to get the panels for the "Commando Front Safari Overland Camper" (needs a shorter name though :elkgrin:).

The company is selling two versions of the Jeep-tub trailer kit right now - a 4' 5" long version and a 6' 6" long version. When I was first talking with them they had expressed interest in building a longer version with the Safari Camper top, but I haven't discussed that with them in a while so I don't know what their current plans are. You'd have to check with them.

To build a longer tub you could always get the 4' 5" kit from them plus a second set of side panels, that would give you an 8' 3" version of the tub, which would be perfect for a hard camper top....

TwoSidePanels.jpg

The panels would easily join together in the center, and when you bonded the kit's inner fenders in place, you'd also bond the side panels together.

I'm sure the company would be happy to sell you the kit with two extra side panels.

Hope you continue tinkering, your stuff is awesome :clapsmile
I'm working on the design of a completely different trailer tub kit right now, I'll probably post photos and details soon.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I'm working on the design of a completely different trailer tub kit right now, I'll probably post photos and details soon.

Looking forward to your new design.

The longer tub is half of the ticket, but I really need to find a good looking upper. My next trailer should have "live-in" capability, not just "live-on" or "live-around" :elkgrin:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to your new design.

The longer tub is half of the ticket, but I really need to find a good looking upper. My next trailer should have "live-in" capability, not just "live-on" or "live-around" :elkgrin:

Molds do exist to build the 7' 5" camper top shown below. Actually two sets of molds for it exist - I've got one set and Gr8Tops has the other. Whether or not the camper top will ever come to market I don't know.

CamperShow4.jpg

As for the longer version with the sloped front, I have not done the mold work for that version yet. I don't have any plans at the moment to do the molds for the sloped front version, but the molds for the front of that top are the same molds that would be used to build the Commando version of the Safari Cab, so if I ever do that, then the slope front camper top could be molded too.

LPCommando1.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Actually just found the pic I really was looking for:

SafariCamper8-8a.jpg

I guess we need to sponsor you a JKU so you can start designing a top like this for the JKU. Would love to have a hardtop that would ad about 1 foot or so of length to the Unlimited (might not need a trailer then :elkgrin:) Don't think the rear overhang would be a problem.

Expedition1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Actually just found the pic I really was looking for:

View attachment 115965
This one uses 5 existing molds from the Safari Cab/Safari Overland Camper (roof, left and right side panels, barn door upper inner skin and outer skin), and would require 4 relatively simple new molds - left and right sloped end side panels, and the sloped hatch inner and outer skins). And all 4 of the new molds would be shared with the Commando version of the Safari Cab, so if there's demand from one of the companies selling variants of the Safari Cab, it's not out of the question that these molds may be built some day. But until then, I've got a list of new projects I want to do, none of which involve the aforementioned molds...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles