Found an MBT Willy's Trailer For my AT Build

slimtwo

Adventurer
I bought this trailer a few weeks ago from a guy in So Cal. I have been looking for something like this for a while now, and I was excited to finally find something. I am going to do this build in stages, and the first stage is to change the axle and clean it up some.

DSCN2198.jpg

DSCN2195.jpg

The first thing I am doing is changing out the axle. My son helped me flip the trailer over, this makes it some much easier to work on. This trailer came with 5 on 5.5 hubs, and my Jeep is 5 on 4.5. So here I am getting started with removing the old axle.

DSCN2246.jpg

I bought the axle from Redneck trailer parts in Mira Loma, Riverside Ca., it is 52”s long with E-brakes
DSCN2247.jpg

After getting the old axle out, I got the new one up and in place.

DSCN2249.jpg

DSCN2251.jpg

Now comes the wiring, I bought a weather proof terminal box to land all the wiring for the lights and brakes. It made for a very clean install. I also used an extra flat (4) pin connector for the brake connection, that way I can unplug the axle if I need to remove it.

DSCN2252.jpg

DSCN2254.jpg

I still have to buy new shocks, however, before I can do that, I need to weld tabs on the axle for the shocks. I removed some old wiring, and a make shift tire carrier from underneath the trailer. I also removed the hand brake handle and linkage (since I don’t need it any more). Last thing was to install the wheels and flip it back over (make no mistake, this little trailer is heavy). here it is on the new axle.

DSCN2256.jpg
[/IMG]

Well enough for the day. I'm just not as young as I used to be. I spent the better part of the day working on this, and I'm done. More later.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Today I started cutting the hangers and things that the previous owners had welded on the sides and the front. While I like the idea of carrying tools and such. I don’t want them getting caught on brush out on the trail, so I will mount them somewhere else out of the way.

DSCN2258.jpg

I shot some primer on once I ground everything smooth.

DSCN2261.jpg

DSCN2262.jpg

DSCN2263.jpg

I had a chance to really drive it today, it tows real nice, and the e-brakes work great! I am not sure I want to leave the spring over. The trailer seems too high to me. I want it to be about the same height as the Jeep. I mainly went this way so I wouldn’t have to do anything with the fenders yet. However, eventually, I am going to have to remove them and do something else. More later!

Happy trails!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Nice build so far! Kinda a shame that the old military/early civy trailers are getting so hard to find...*shrugs* Should be a nice trail dragger when your done though!
I have a question about the hard shell that came on it. Could you give me some more information about it please? Manufacturer, model number... anything? Odd that it looks almost made for it! I've been kicking around the idea of an old willys pick up with a trailer bed to replace the rotted out factory bed. A topper like this would be awesome!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Nice build so far! Kinda a shame that the old military/early civy trailers are getting so hard to find...*shrugs* Should be a nice trail dragger when your done though!
I have a question about the hard shell that came on it. Could you give me some more information about it please? Manufacturer, model number... anything? Odd that it looks almost made for it! I've been kicking around the idea of an old willys pick up with a trailer bed to replace the rotted out factory bed. A topper like this would be awesome!

I will look the shell over better, to see if there are any labels or id plates giving insight as to what application it was originally made for. What I can tell you about it is that the previous owner cut a section long ways out of the middle and then glassed it back together. Also, they had new front and back windows made after resizing the frames.

Happy trails!

Errant

Explorer
It's looking good, Slim. What are you going to do with the old wheels? Interested in selling them?

slimtwo

Adventurer
It's looking good, Slim. What are you going to do with the old wheels? Interested in selling them?

Hadn't given it much thought really, they are 5 on 5.5 just so ya know. I might consider it. Also, there is only one good tire of the three (including spare)one is shreaded, and one is fixin too.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I ordered my "Max Coupler" just now, and earlier I went down to the steel supply and bought material for the new tongue configuration. When the coupler gets here, I'll set a time to cut the old tongue off and fab the new one.

Here is what I plane to do;

Hitchtubedetail.jpg

The hitch receiver is 18 inches long, how far out can I extend this past the tube I’m welding it to? I want to end up extending the tongue by 12 inches?

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
I ordered my "Max Coupler" this last Monday, and it arrived on Wednesday. It appears to be their 2nd generation coupler, a lot heavier than I thought. I also went down to the local K & H to buy material to reconfigure my hitch. I didn’t realize how much steel was. I bought a 10 foot piece of 2 ½” receiver stock, and a 7 foot piece of 2 x 3 – .120 wall tubing and it cost over $100.00. hopefully next weekend I will get that part done. Untill next week.

Happy trails!

Errant

Explorer
Hadn't given it much thought really, they are 5 on 5.5 just so ya know. I might consider it. Also, there is only one good tire of the three (including spare)one is shreaded, and one is fixin too.

Yup, that's what I need for my M100. The wheels on it now match the previous owners Jeep and rather have more stock looking wheels.

Errant

Explorer
Yep, still have stock axle and hubs. I didn't see a way to change out to fit my Disco wheels and keep the hand brake, so I'm going to leave it alone.

slimtwo

Adventurer
Yep, still have stock axle and hubs. I didn't see a way to change out to fit my Disco wheels and keep the hand brake, so I'm going to leave it alone.

I'd probably let the wheels go if your interested, let me know what you would like to do.

JeepDork

Adventurer
metal prices

If for some reason you need more metal that is similar to what you posted earlier try Schorr Metals Inc. | 837 S. Kraemer Blvd. | Placentia, CA 92870 | 714.630.1962 | They sell rem stock that is $0.55/per pound. Funny thing is they have plenty of long like 20' pieces. Steel isn't cheap so keep it in mind if you have to come down this way. Oh it's the stuff that is blue on the end not red.

slimtwo

Adventurer
If for some reason you need more metal that is similar to what you posted earlier try Schorr Metals Inc. | 837 S. Kraemer Blvd. | Placentia, CA 92870 | 714.630.1962 | They sell rem stock that is $0.55/per pound. Funny thing is they have plenty of long like 20' pieces. Steel isn't cheap so keep it in mind if you have to come down this way. Oh it's the stuff that is blue on the end not red.

Thank you for the information!

slimtwo

Adventurer
MBT Willy's Trailer Build

Well, it has been a long time since I've done anything to the trailer. I have been using it as is, and having a great time. However, I have finally purchased my RTT, and now I have to get back to it. I had changed out the original fenders for ones that were deeper, and a little larger in diameter (still radius'd). However, I have recently purchased some 14ga. sheet metal, to fabricate new fenders that are similar to the M 416 style flat fenders.

005.jpg
007.jpg

I have also changed out the tongue that was on the trailer when I bought it adding length and a place to mount the tongue box. Plus I am using a "Max Coupler" for full axis. My next step is to start cutting steel for the slider bars which will come out even with the fenders front and rear. That will give options for additional equipment such as a 2.5lb propane tank and maybe extra fuel. Once that's done, I'll start on the upright supports for the RTT. The tent will sit approx. 26 inches above the trailer box to clear the shell I will be building. Access to the bed will be a slide out tray. More later.

Happy trails!

Bruce

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles