Conqueror Base Camp Idea

scottma

Observer
I want to get side wall for the rain fly and then cut a hole in it and install a wood burning stove. The fly is pretty heavy canvas as I recall. I am thinking of taking trailer on a late season Elk Hunt in Colorado. It can get cold and snow. What do you think ? I have never set up the fly so I don't know how much room I would have. Has anyone else here with a Conqueror used the fly. Does my idea have any merit? Only two hunters so don't need too much room. Will rain fly poles hold sidewall?

Any thoughts ideas you have would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
You should speak with Brad Garland (with the Kimberly) as he had a stove set up in his old KK.
I think you would have to have a fire proof panel sewn in.
There are some wood stoves for boats that are pretty cool:

http://www.marinestove.com/

D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I used a Buddy heater in my Conqueror Compact. That little heater kept the tent COZY in the dead of winter ----- 15 degrees, Georgia winter, that is...
Have you considered propane? The cat heaters are really safe to use and you wouldn't have to mod the walls.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Hi Scott, as Dendy mentioned I had a stove jack on my last Kimberley Kamper. It is a sweet set up for winter camping.

Here's what the stove jack looked like. You can see it has the inner silicon seal for the stove pipe and the two different heat resistant materials before it get back out to the canvas. It also has a canvas flap that rolled back out of the way but could be velcroed down to close the stove jack when the stove was not being used.

594640218_srAV5-L.jpg

594640242_Cwp3g-L.jpg

1181715963_LMtpP-L.jpg

1181700917_YME9s-L.jpg

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier