Manifold Cooking

Mrk1

Adventurer
Has anyone used engine coolant? Im thinking of building a box that circulates hot coolant around it. May not cook food but certainly warm it up.

shrub

Aside from cooking, I can't imagine it being too difficult to use a manifold to heat water a la water heater for hot showers?

Expedition Leader
Why not build a box near the catalytic converter? Would that be better than the manifold?

You don't have to crawl underneath your truck to cook on the manifold. Besides that, my expo truck does not have a catalytic converter, though I realize I am in the minority in that regard.

SoCal_80

Explorer
I am over manifold cooking ! Picked up a $25 RoadPro 12v lunchbox sized "oven" and it works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forty4fun

Observer
Inexpesive Manifold Cooker

Guys,

My solution to manifold cooking. I purchased a Coleman popcorn popper and some L-brackets. I like the size of the unit and the top snaps in place. I may get abitious and add a piece of metal over the vent holes to allow better heat control. I may also flip the brackets to lower the unit and make it easier to load.

Just have to use it a few times to keep the Spam Musubi's warm on the way to the cub scout campout and and see how it performs.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 30
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 36

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Guys,

My solution to manifold cooking. I purchased a Coleman popcorn popper and some L-brackets. I like the size of the unit and the top snaps in place. I may get abitious and add a piece of metal over the vent holes to allow better heat control. I may also flip the brackets to lower the unit and make it easier to load.

Just have to use it a few times to keep the Spam Musubi's warm on the way to the cub scout campout and and see how it performs.

Very clever application! Let us know how it turns out.

forty4fun

Observer
Temps with manifold cooker

I had some idle time so I used my digital thermometer to measure the internal temp of the manifold cooker. I hit a high of 166 degrees in an hour of stop and go commuting in 80 degree weather. Actually, it is more like a slow cooker. I have no doubt it will keep things warm. I guess Phase 2 will be to field test the burrito bake.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 14

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
.... I hit a high of 166 degrees in an hour of stop and go commuting in 80 degree weather..

I tested the 'can cooker' in my TJ last week. In the TJ, it's on the inner fender, whereas my CJ, it's bolted to a headbolt, right above the exhuast manifold.

In the TJ, it doesn't work to well when the outside temps are around 15* F :snorkel:

My can of chili was 'slightly warm' after an 80 mile drive, and another 2 hours of snow wheeling.

Works great in the summer, and in Moab in the spring!

irish_11

Explorer
Guys,

Does the lid slide on and off or is it hinged? If it slides, do you have to remove the cooker to access it? I like the idea of this. I want to see how it holds up.

ScoutII

Adventurer
I guess that would be a good gift for those that have everything, worst case it goes into the Christmas white elephant gift pile.

ManifoldDestiny.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles