Husky vs. Weather Tech: Who makes the better floor mat?

Dillon

dome light
I've had both in my '00 Xterra. I had the Weathertech for about 10 years. Their "custom" fit wasn't so custom. The Weathertechs has these removable pieces that can be cut off to fit. Some fits are better than others. The Weathertechs in my wife's Audi fit great. The Weathertechs in the Xterra fit not so well. I always had issues with melted snow running out of the drivers mat and into the carpet at the front left edge.

I bought Husky mats to replace the two front mats. The Huskys fit the Xterra much better. They required less trimming and they keep the carpet dry during the winter.

For the Xterra, the Husky mats are a better fit.

soonenough

Explorer
So what's the skinny on the Weather Tech vs. Husky Liner?

One thing that may be important to clarify - are you talking about the generic/universal WeatherTech mats or the "Digital Fit" mats? I can't speak for the universal WeatherTechs or the Huskys, but I can definitely say the Digital Fit WT mats are great. I've had them in my Tacoma for a couple years now and they still look brand new after a wipe-down with a wet cloth (and some diluted simple green if they're really nasty). And I can tell you from personal experience that they'll hold an entire gigantic cup of coffee without a drop leaking out.

I don't know about the mats for your model of vehicle, but the mats for the Tacomas can be ordered with or without the holes for the carpet-mounted retention hooks. There's a tradeoff with the retention hooks - although they hold the mats in place better, they do provide a leak path to the carpet below if something is spilled or sloshed directly onto them.

I'd highly recommend the WeatherTech Digital Fit mats. I'll probably put a set in every vehicle I own from now on.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I choose weather tech because they got good reviews and are made in the USA. I am very happy with them. Husky was the alternative I was looking at, if the husky's were made in the USA then price would have been the deciding factor.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
One thing that may be important to clarify - are you talking about the generic/universal WeatherTech mats or the "Digital Fit" mats? I can't speak for the universal WeatherTechs or the Huskys, but I can definitely say the Digital Fit WT mats are great. I've had them in my Tacoma for a couple years now and they still look brand new after a wipe-down with a wet cloth (and some diluted simple green if they're really nasty). And I can tell you from personal experience that they'll hold an entire gigantic cup of coffee without a drop leaking out.

I don't know about the mats for your model of vehicle, but the mats for the Tacomas can be ordered with or without the holes for the carpet-mounted retention hooks. There's a tradeoff with the retention hooks - although they hold the mats in place better, they do provide a leak path to the carpet below if something is spilled or sloshed directly onto them.

I'd highly recommend the WeatherTech Digital Fit mats. I'll probably put a set in every vehicle I own from now on.

Ditto - I wish they made them for the 80 Land Cruisers

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
mat vs liner?

Doing my research I guess I should have looked a little harder.

Both Husky and Weather Tech sell mats (which just sit on the floor) and also liners (which cover up the entire floor surface from the door sill to the transmission hump.)

never had floor liners before, might be a nice change. Easier to wash out, at least.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have a full set front and rear of Husky liners in my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD crewcab
Here is the catch: I have the work truck vinyl floor in my truck.
I live in Pennsylvania and after one winter with slushy boots on the mat,
I bought a set of husky liners.

I used a pair of shoe cobbler nippers and cut all of the nipples off the back of the mats.
It took a couple hours to get them all off smooth.

The liners work great for mud, snow and salty slush.
and the water run off does not travel into the pinch welds at the door edge.

Lift the liners out and tip them to remove the water "or Ice in the morning when freezing out."
They do slip a little but my wife and kids have mastered the climb in and out well.

You should see my father in law get in with them, He never remembers and goes flying when he climbs in.
My vote is for the Husky liners,

Explorer
I thought Husky Liners were good until I bought a set of weather techs. I have the husky liners in my work truck (2006 Tacoma) but I bought the weather techs for my girlfriends Truck (2011 Tacoma).

Weathertech is a better liner IMO, The material is better, the fit is better, and they hold their form better. but Husky is the next best thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier