Husky vs. Weather Tech: Who makes the better floor mat?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
With winter coming (we got our first dusting of snow on Saturday), I figured it's a good time to ask this question.

The mats in my 3rd gen 4runner are wearing out (well, the driver's mat is) and it's time to consider some options.

I've pretty much always "cheaped out' in the past figuring that even if they only lasted a season or so, I'd still get my money's worth. But now I don't mind spending a bit to get something that will last.

I've had bad experiences with plastic/rubber floor mats, though. Biggest "issue" is that they tend to crack or wear through on the driver's side where my left and right heels rest. And the thing about a rubber floor mat is that once it gets a cut, puncture or crack, it's pretty much useless since it will let all that mud, water, snow, etc, onto the floor. For that reason I'm still using the (increasingly worn) factory cloth mats since they seem to be a bit more resistant to wear.

So what's the skinny on the Weather Tech vs. Husky Liner? I see recommendations for both and they are pretty much equally priced. Any differences I should be aware of? Seems I can find either set for about $60 for a set of front mats (not currently planning on doing the rear, at least not yet.)

MCM

Observer
I've always used Weather Tech and have been very happy with them. They have always had a very nice, custom fit. They're made in America, not sure about Husky.

greg mgm

Explorer
That's a tough one to answer unless someone has Weather Tech and Husky mats side by side to compare. I have Weather Techs in my Tundra and they fit like a glove. Quality seems great. I'd buy them again.

olsen_karl

Adventurer
I've had Husky in a couple different vehicles; wife's Subaru came with Weathertech. The Weathertech seem a bit thicker and a bit more slippery. I've never had any problem with the Husky liners; they don't seem to wear out.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I got some Husky's from Genos Garage even after having stellar results from Weathertech's in the past. FAIL! Much less rubbery feel and they scooted all over the carpet. When wet ,my boots slid everywhere. I gave them to a friend who took his Makita sander to the surface and roughed them up. I returned to Weathertech's regular heavy mat. Happy camper now. Their complete liner model is bulletproof also.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
I have one-sided feedback on Husky Liners -- my 1988 Cherokee has had a set for about 15 years. The same set.

They're durable as heck. The heel pad on the driver's side has worn down the diamond plate pattern, but they probably have another 15 years at this rate. They do a good job of trapping water, so are super for snow days.

These Husky Liners are old enough that they have no backside "nub" pattern, and they do move around too much. I'll often have to pull them out from under the gas pedal. I still use them, but probably wouldn't buy another set. I didn't buy another set, in fact -- I cut my own from diamond plate-pattern rubber sheet for my Tacoma. Sounds like the newer versions with the nubs aren't much better.

Don

EuroJoe

Adventurer
I have the cabelas ones in my truck, 30,000+ and still great, pretty sure they are rebranded weather tech

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I had the Husky liners front and back in my '97 Cherokee. I loved them and they stayed put. Living where it snows and having three kids it was a must and they saved my carpet.

just eric

Adventurer
Have had the Huskys in my FJ Cruiser for three years now and have no complaints. The FJ does have a tab to keep them secure though... One thing is that when getting in and out in the snow they have a tendency to pool the melted snow that then sloshes around as you accelerate or brake. I keep a cloth in the liners on the side to soak up the melted snow and prevent spilling.

theksmith

Explorer
never had husky, but i have 60k miles on a set of the weathertech "floorliner digitalfit" style in my Grand and they still look exactly like when i bought them (when they are recently washed anyway). they don't move around at all. my only complaint would be the sides bow in a little on the front ones instead of laying flat against the outer edges... husky probably "hug" better since they are rubberier and thinner from the ones i've seen.

450521_450522.jpg

Halligan

Adventurer
Weathertech in my opinion are the best and I run them in both my ram and the wifes Z71 Tahoe. Also, as mentioned earlier they are all made in the USA with USA materials. The owner of the company moved all production of the mats from England to the USA several years ago. There was a Weathertech add in on of me recent magazines that discussed the move to the US.

ericram

I run Husky in my Ram and they're great. I went with Husky because of the price since Husky was a little cheaper than Weathertech for my vehicle. My husky mats have the spikes on the bottom which are great for holding them in place as well as the tab made into it. No complaints from my end!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles