Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Detslider's '05 Frontier Build

Sweet Frontier. I hope you all are recovering well, stupid deer. By the way, how do you like the Mombassa?
    '05 Frontier NISMO SG
    3" SL | 33" Duratracs | Body Armor

Thanks, the wife is pretty much 100% now.
    I've never spent any time with any other brand of RTT so I can't compare but I don't really have any complaints about the Mombassa either.
    I ended up with this one mostly because it was for sale locally. I think the nearest dealer in RTTs is in FL or New England.

Today I started cleaning up the skid plates but it was taking longer than I expected. I might just pay to have them blasted.

Really enjoyed reading the build so far! Keep us posted on your work.
    2006 Nissan Frontier
    My Build Thread

Thanks!
    I've got a garage full of parts and stuff waiting to get installed.
    Stay tuned...

Got the RTT put back on on the truck. Made a long drive up to the Poconos for the PA Tough Mudder. Thought it'd be a good time to test out how many MPGs I could squeeze out of the truck if I was light on the gas.
    Over 5.5hrs of 95% interstate driving I kept the cruise at or about 5mph below the speed limit. Mostly flat, a few hills. Almost always hovering at 2000rpms. I averaged 52mph and consumed about 16.9 gallons, which gave me about 17.2mpg.
    Better than I was expecting but nothing to brag about.

Well at least we kicked *** at the Mudder...

Cool build! I noticed you're looking for a front recovery alternative to the Shrock ... have you taken a look at these winch cradles being made for the Xterras who want to run stock bumpers? Steve (RockyMtnX) is a really great guy, and between his two designs (2005-2008, and 2009+) and potentially a few other measurements, I'm sure you guys could get one adapted to the Frontier; especially if you don't mind a slight bit of trimming on the stock bumper.

I hadn't seen those before but it's a cool design.

My only concern with that would be how it would behave in a serious frontal crash since it looks to be much less steel than a stock bumper beam.
    Choosing between that and the Shrock I'll take the overkill of the Shrock any day.

Haven't seen one post-crash (and wouldn't wish that testing on anyone); but I've had no doubts about their integrity ... IMO they're a great way to both add recovery and a winch to the stock bumper. What are you seeing that gives you pause?

Personally, I'd agree with you on the Shrock; but not for lack of confidence in the cradle design ... I just happen to like the look of a truck with an aftermarket bumper. Unfortunately, the options for late model Nissans are a bit lacking. Much better than they used to be, for sure; but the ones that I tend to be most drawn to are either run by everyone and their brother, or are one-off custom jobs.

When I get home I'll post a picture of the stock bumper beam.

Nothing has happened with the truck lately. It's been parked for a few months while I explore Israel.
    Pretty cool place.

I bought a new camera shortly before the trip. I was about to buy a m4/3 DSLR, probably one of the Sony NEX cameras, but at the last minute I decided that a small point and shoot would be a lot easier to carry and so I'd probably get a lot more pictures out of it. The best camera is the one you have with you right?
    I chose a Canon S100 and I'm very happy with it so far.

I won't give you the specs, there are other sites that can do a better review of it than I but I'll show you a bit of what I do like....

All the following shots are done on the Auto setting.

I like how well it shoots in low light.

I like how quickly it powers up so I can grab quick shots before the subject dissapears

I like the wide angle lens

Even the most casual things seem to look great with this camera

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast