axle and tire trouble

rficken42

i have a 4x6 utility trailer i want to build into a light duty camping trailer to pull behind my jeep cherokee on 31s. the trailer already has 5x4.5 bolt pattern just like the jeep, but it was on 12" rims and tires. so the angle when hitched was horrible. i bought 215x75r14 trailer tires from etrailer.com. they are about 26" tall. i figure it would be a good starting tire. however i mounted the tires onto the trailer today and they rub on the leaf springs and frame. i flip them around and i have maybe 1/2" to 3/4" of clearance. these trailer rims are only 6" wide and im having clerance issues. i see alot of guys using stock or after market rims on their trailer. my question is where am i going wrong or what can i do to fix this problem? thank you for any advice

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
........... my question is where am i going wrong or what can i do to fix this problem? thank you for any advice

Sounds like a back spacing problem. If you use a wheel with less back space, it will get rid of the rubbing.

You could also use a set of spacers, and keep the wheels you have.

MOAK

Adventurer
forget the 12" rims, use regular jeep rims

i cut the stock fenders off, fabbed some diamond plate fenders, found some used Moab rims, and used 2" wheel spacers on e-bay, did a spring over lift, now I'm running 245/75s (31") and have plenty of room for 33s in the future..

burt

Observer
i cut the stock fenders off, fabbed some diamond plate fenders, found some used Moab rims, and used 2" wheel spacers on e-bay, did a spring over lift, now I'm running 245/75s (31") and have plenty of room for 33s in the future..

Ya, +1 on that. Thats probably not what you wanted to hear. Otherwise wheel spacers or rims with different backspacing. I think the price of wheel spacers is about the same as cheap rims. Having wheels and tires you can also use on the jeep is all kinds of better. Even if they dont match exactly used wheels and tires are often real cheap (especially if you only need 2 good ones).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles