My Off-road camper build

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Well done indeed!!! Everyone who loves Expo Rigs should travel to Australia just see all the outstanding ones at any 'Outback' camping area.

Nikson

Explorer
Welding would be the best way to go... I have been considering a very similar build here in states... like the rear entry (makes sense), and all the access.

when you get a chance, elaborate a bit more on "pressurizing" the cab... and how you are going about the "sealing" part from dust, etc.

Thanks a lot,

rockman

Adventurer
Welding would be the best way to go... I have been considering a very similar build here in states... like the rear entry (makes sense), and all the access.

when you get a chance, elaborate a bit more on "pressurizing" the cab... and how you are going about the "sealing" part from dust, etc.

Thanks a lot,

The rear entry made sense to me in the fact you do not have to climb over your partner to get in / out .
The biggest problem is the fact that all the dust circulates at the back of the camper so you have to make sure you get it 100% right .
What we have done is used a ' bilge blower ' for a boat , drawing the air through a small pre-cleaner , like you find on a small diesel engine tractor or the like .You need to have positive pressure inside the main structure .

If I was to ever do it again , I would something similar to the ' conqueror companion ' camper .That idea just makes so much sense . I would have done it , but we couldn't get our head around the bed set-up properly .

I am am constantly amazed on the trailers in the states that either you do no work on dirt / dusty / stony / roads , because you never seem to run a stone-guard and it seems everyone likes to put their gen-sets outside the trailer .

Cheers

rockman

Adventurer
We have now sorted and mounted the rear stabilizers ... they come out on a slight angle for better stability and we rear mounted them so we would lose minimal clearance .
Just have to wait till friday to get the springs reset .. new axle/brakes/bearings/shocks and bushes to go in at the same time as the springs get put back in .

Attachments

• photo 212 (Small).JPG
    photo 212 (Small).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 114
  • photo 211 (Small).JPG
    photo 211 (Small).JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 119

rockman

Adventurer
Got the camper back today .... looks a bit better with the height back in it now .
Got the original springs , added 2 x extra leafs , reset to approx 4 " above what it was , new 50mm square axle ( 2 tonne ) , new 12" electric brakes with off-road magnets , new 3 tonne bearings , new grease able pins , new bushes , new treg hitch and handbrake .
Electric's next week as well as the canvas ... hopefully should be ready for rego the following week .

Attachments

• photo (1)45 (Small).JPG
    photo (1)45 (Small).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 189

rockman

Adventurer
Getting there slowly .
The canvas will be fitted next week ... can't wait till Christmas to get out in it for a couple of weeks .

Attachments

• photo 222 (Small) (Small).JPG
    photo 222 (Small) (Small).JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 207

Pikeman

Adventurer
That is one georgeous trailer. Job well done. I am always amazed at the level of skill I see here on Expedition Portal.

bob

Adventurer
fantastic build rockman. Mad skills sir.

I built a trailer for a guy up in Canada, he had the same complaints about the rock guard. We are in SoCal, and really do not have many rock roads, so to speak. I originally powder coated my frames and fenders, but now use Rhino Lining. Keeps the frame in pretty good condition. My design for the box trailers is to have the generator inside, but on my base camp model, it is locked to the outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94