Pelican 1650 case, what to use it for?

TRACTION

Adventurer
Just scored a brand new, unused Pelican 1650 on Craigslist for $75! Now I've got to figure out what to use it for. :) Looking for sugguestions, ideas, photos.

Maybe make it a cooking kit? recovery kit?

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
x2. The guys over at Expedition Exchange use one to carry their entire field kitchen by incorporating the Pelican 1654 Padded Divider and 1659 Lid Organizer.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/pelican/
SnowPeakKitchen.jpg

Pelican1650casewith1659LidOrganizer.jpg

Pelican1659LidOrganizerwithkitchenitems.jpg

Pelican1654PaddedDivider.jpg

Pelican1650casewith1654PaddedDivider.jpg

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
Just remember that they get really heavy when they are this large. I had a 1650 and decided to sell it due to the fact that I could not get it in and out of the JEEP by myself once I loaded it. I now use a couple of 1610's that fit well on my cargo rack together. Outside of the JEEP sinc they are completely weatherproof.

TRACTION

Adventurer
Just remember that they get really heavy when they are this large. I had a 1650 and decided to sell it due to the fact that I could not get it in and out of the JEEP by myself once I loaded it. I now use a couple of 1610's that fit well on my cargo rack together. Outside of the JEEP sinc they are completely weatherproof.

Figured that'd be the case (pun intended) so I'll probably go with making it a kitchen setup since the stove itself takes up a lot of the room and won't be too heavy.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Adventurer
HI,
Yep, they can get heavy. I have four Pelican's that I attach to my Jeep Wrangler's top rack. I have made custom mounting clamps that are very secure. I do not have any bungee cords holding the cases down. Thus, all I have to do to get inside is to unsnap the latches. Once the cases are on the rack, they never come down until the trip is finished. I have a collapsible ladder to access them that I also carry on the rack. So, to unload (or load) I simply unlatch the cases and get what I need. No cords to mess with.

I have been on long trips through all kinds of weather on all kinds of trails. I've never seen a drop or water or a grain of dust inside the cases. They truly are "all weather".

The cases have solved the problem of very limited available space in a small Jeep.

Sparky

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
We used them as washing machines during the Camel Trophy. Fill them up with dirty clothes, washing detergent, water and rocks. As you drive off road it tumbles everything together. Works great! :D

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Pelican Cases -

I use my cases for:

Camp kitchen
Dry food storage
Clothing/toiletries
Tools
Spare parts/Fluids
Camp tools/supplies

They're mount (strapped) to a gear platform and slide/roll out the back nicely. I've left them out in the wind, snow, rain and bear country with no problems. Make great seats and food prep/cutting surfaces. Also makes a very nice platform in the back of the 60 when you place a camp mat on top of the cases and lay down.

Good luck!

cargo 3 compressed.JPG

jham

Adventurer
Traction,

I have a padded divider set for the 1650 if you're interested. Never used it.

PM me if you want it. Nice score on the case!

hochung

Adventurer
Traction, that's a great deal. It'll come in handy for many things.

As SWITAWI pointed out, I used the 1650 for the kitchen stuff for a while, and it was great. but REALLY heavy. You might think it's not a big deal, but it got old quick. and since I started using the Snow Peak IGT setup, my kitchen Pelican is now much smaller and lighter.

When stacked, they can be used as table or even cutting boards:

mission07%20002%20153.jpg

I also use it as a giant ice bucket to serve cold drinks in my backyard weekend bbq.

I use the 1650 for the lighter stuff, tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Because I don't have a roof top tent, I have to setup and break down camp everytime I hit a new campsite. And I am able to just shove everything in the Pelican without having to fold everything nicely.

I also use the 1650 for air line travel. I don't like paying the extra overweight fees, but well worth it depending on what you are traveling with. I've used the Pelican to take the IGT BBQ Box to Maui when I found out that the vacation rental condo in Maui didn't have a grill in the backyard.

6328812419_dfe2f5cc58_z.jpg

because my family can't function without beef:

6328815569_11754c5c2b_z.jpg

oh, you've stacked rocks while on the trail right? when you need a real big rock, consider using the 1650. Works great.

Camping trips with a large crowd, you can bring your firewood in the 1650. after you burn off the wood, pack it with trash.

These are just some of the uses for a Pelican.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Traction, that's a great deal. It'll come in handy for many things.

As SWITAWI pointed out, I used the 1650 for the kitchen stuff for a while, and it was great. but REALLY heavy. You might think it's not a big deal, but it got old quick. and since I started using the Snow Peak IGT setup, my kitchen Pelican is now much smaller and lighter.

When stacked, they can be used as table or even cutting boards:

mission07%20002%20153.jpg

I also use it as a giant ice bucket to serve cold drinks in my backyard weekend bbq.

I use the 1650 for the lighter stuff, tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Because I don't have a roof top tent, I have to setup and break down camp everytime I hit a new campsite. And I am able to just shove everything in the Pelican without having to fold everything nicely.

I also use the 1650 for air line travel. I don't like paying the extra overweight fees, but well worth it depending on what you are traveling with. I've used the Pelican to take the IGT BBQ Box to Maui when I found out that the vacation rental condo in Maui didn't have a grill in the backyard.

6328812419_dfe2f5cc58_z.jpg

because my family can't function without beef:

6328815569_11754c5c2b_z.jpg

oh, you've stacked rocks while on the trail right? when you need a real big rock, consider using the 1650. Works great.

Camping trips with a large crowd, you can bring your firewood in the 1650. after you burn off the wood, pack it with trash.

These are just some of the uses for a Pelican.

Great ideas :costumed-smiley-007

Redman333

Adventurer
We used them as washing machines during the Camel Trophy. Fill them up with dirty clothes, washing detergent, water and rocks. As you drive off road it tumbles everything together. Works great! :D

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Wouldn't that leak. I thought they had one way valves in them to expel air(in your case would be water and soap).

Edit: Never mind I found this on Pelicans website. I'll post it here in case anyone else was wondering

How does the Pressure Equalization (Purge) Valve work?
The Pressure Equalization Valve (Purge Valve) is a simple device. It consists of a housing with a hole through it that is covered with a thin Gore-Tex® membrane. According to the GoreTM tech sheet: “The microporous expanded polytetraflouroethylene (ePTFE) membrane continuously allows the free passage of gases and vapours, equalizing the pressure differential between the enclosure and ambient before it builds to the point that a seal is compromised. Water, dust and dirt are repelled by the hydrophobic membrane, thereby protecting expensive and sensitive electronics”.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz