Front Mount Receiver Hitch for '73 F100?

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I have not been able to find a current production Front Mount Receiver Hitch for my '73 F100 [not a great surprise]. Has anyone here found a current production Front Mount Receiver Hitch that will work with this generation of F series with minimal modifucation [i.e. one that fits between the frame rails & just needs tabs cut off, different holes drilled or similar], or do I have to fab one from scratch?

I want to be able to mount a reciever-cradle mount winch up front & attach it to the rear hitch when needed. :coffeedrink:

This is going to be my "Old Iron" stealth camper, as I will add a high-rise camper shell on the back with interior modifications to the bed sich as shelving along the inside etc, a swing-out tire & jerry can bumper, etc :coffee:

IMG00729-vi.jpg

BlueBomber

Adventurer
nice truck. I owned a 73 F-100 a few years ago and found the best place to ask about parts and where to get them is a site called fordtruckfanatics. great site for info on 73-79 ford trucks. post some more pics and info about your truck.

I did what you want to do but fabbed everything from scratch (or more correctly got people who know what they're doing to do it for me). A couple of pics below if it provides any inspiration. I went with double tubes on the front for more strength with the winch (fabbed the mount for that too) and stability when fitted with a rack or recovery gear box. On most trips the recovery gear box lives in the front receivers where it's all readily accessible, and the winch is stashed and protected in the back of the truck because it's hardly ever used.

Front (without the bash plate on):

Receiver_front2.jpg

Rear (additional centre mount is for a bike rack):

Receivers_rear.jpg

Front (with bash plate and recovery gear box on):

Receiver_front_toolbox.jpg

The square aluminium plates fit in to more receiver tubes in the recovery gear box frame, and are held in place with standard hitch pins (as is the box frame itself). They get slipped out to provide front recovery points for a snatch strap, or a mount to put a front tow hitch for tricky trailer positioning. They also fit in the original receivers on the front around town, when there's no rack/box/winch, to leave no sharp leading edges. Like receiver mount plugs that some folk use out the back to dress up when no tow hitch is fitted.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I found a wide 2" receiver at the scrap yard, cut the ends off to fit the frame rails of my 2002 GMC Sierra
and welded 3/16 steel angle and flat stock to mount to the bolts on my front tow hooks.
Total cost $20.00 including paint "I need to sandblast and repaint it soon!"

Attachments

• DSC05857.JPG
    DSC05857.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC05859.JPG
    DSC05859.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 19

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I found a wide 2" receiver at the scrap yard, cut the ends off to fit the frame rails of my 2002 GMC Sierra
and welded 3/16 steel angle and flat stock to mount to the bolts on my front tow hooks.
Total cost $20.00 including paint "I need to sandblast and repaint it soon!"

That was pretty industrious! How long did it take?

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I did what you want to do but fabbed everything from scratch (or more correctly got people who know what they're doing to do it for me). A couple of pics below if it provides any inspiration. I went with double tubes on the front for more strength with the winch (fabbed the mount for that too) and stability when fitted with a rack or recovery gear box. On most trips the recovery gear box lives in the front receivers where it's all readily accessible, and the winch is stashed and protected in the back of the truck because it's hardly ever used.

Front (without the bash plate on):

Receiver_front2.jpg

Rear (additional centre mount is for a bike rack):

Receivers_rear.jpg

Front (with bash plate and recovery gear box on):

Receiver_front_toolbox.jpg

The square aluminium plates fit in to more receiver tubes in the recovery gear box frame, and are held in place with standard hitch pins (as is the box frame itself). They get slipped out to provide front recovery points for a snatch strap, or a mount to put a front tow hitch for tricky trailer positioning. They also fit in the original receivers on the front around town, when there's no rack/box/winch, to leave no sharp leading edges. Like receiver mount plugs that some folk use out the back to dress up when no tow hitch is fitted.

I like your setup. How has the front mount held up under usage with the winch?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
It took an hour tops to cut and fab up.
I measured the frame width, and hole locations.
I figure if the mounts are strong enough for the tow hooks.
The receiver should be no problem,

Ken53

I'd like to do the same on my h3t , that way I could use both ends of it for various reasons.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Now I can understand the reason for the double receiver set-up Blue!:Wow1: Can I say that your set-up is both practical and an inspiration for future fabrication!!!:drool:

Revco

Adventurer
I'll get some pictures of the front receiver hitch I just made up for my Suburban. I just took some 2"x2"x.25" steel tube and some .25" steel plate for the frame ends. Cut the ends to shape with my plasma cutter and bolted them to the frame rails, then fitted & welded the tube between the two. Welded a receiver tube to the bottom of the other tube and added some gussets. Took about an hour to make and the only thing I bought was the receiver tube for $20 at Tractor Supply, the rest was scrap metal I had laying around.

I don't like a permanently mounted winch, so I fabricated a winch mount with a receiver tube and used Anderson SB175 Power Pole connectors on the winch and both ends of the truck for a quick and easy power source.

Aside from using the front hitch for the winch, I also use it to maneuver my 18' car hauler trailer through the carport and 90-degrees around into the back yard next to the garage...which is something I couldn't do by using the rear hitch since there's no room for the front end of the truck to swing around between the fence and the house.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
You are right Sub Urban: Launching a boat or maneuvering a travel trailer with a front mounted hitch make it so easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior