Lets see your 80 series RTT pics

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Without actually giving CVT a call and asking personally, I'm sure that it is a variant of Mombossa or similar Chinese made tent. I'm not sure what makes them stand out from the others, but I do like the size of the Mt. Rainier tent. Here is a link of one being deployed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtWgI7I9rVw&feature=youtu.be

I'm very much liking all the pics of RTT's especially the ones on 80 series, I don't think you can ever get enough. :drool: More pics please.

ScottyDog

Adventurer
I have the First Generation Mombasa Car-Top Tent. It isn't as fancy as the newer versions.. but its big and roomy inside. I'd say about the size of king size mattress. One night we had a couple of bears in camp so I ended up with all of my kids (16 & 18 y/o, myself and my 9 y/o) all in there the last night... And we aren't small people, but it held up well. I think 2 adults & 2 small kids is perfect.

270470_2089046273318_1460041496_2310289_2895987_n.jpg

268413_2089047553350_1460041496_2310295_5254483_n.jpg

268902_2089047433347_1460041496_2310294_5407301_n.jpg

264101_2117061453680_1460041496_2347995_5807348_n.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Here's my 80 with a Camping Labs medium RTT and changing room.

1a67713e.jpg

0c184ae6.jpg

e380ed4e.jpg

Plusses: Its affordable. It is fairly weather proof, I have been in snow storms, dust storms, thunderstorms, hot weather, single digit weather, and just about everything in between. Storm force winds and rain cause a bit of seepage in some of the seals but that was about it. The changing room sets up rather quickly and provides a good place to cook or hang out of the weather or sun and since it is basically three sided, you can open the rear hatch or tailgate and have use of the back of the truck from inside.

Minusses: The spring steel awning arms aren't all that springy, and get bent pretty good in heavy winds with the awnings up. The changing room has no floor or 4th wall like previously mentioned so it isn't bug proof and hard to heat in cold, cold weather. The quality of the zipper on the cover is marginal, I had mine catostrophically fail this summer from dust leaving me in the midst of a two month trip with a flapping cover. Mine has developed a saggy floor on the overhang side, basically drooping in the middle. It is rather tall and blocky when folded so it creates a decent amount of drag, not an issue really if you mount it above the bed railson a pickup but noticeable on the roof. And similar to most any RTT, it is loud in high winds. Also the lack of enclosed entry to the tent makes getting in or out in heavy downpours challenging and usually allows moisture into the tent onto the mattress during the effort.

Last edited:

Buckey06

This is a great thread! I also have a family of 4 and an 80. I am planning on buying a rtt in the spring and have been seriously considering the 3 person private entry tent and changing room from www.cartopcamper.com Does anyone have experience with this tent and company?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Here is our 97 CE 80 series, much like yours! we have 2 girls (5&3) and for now we sleep comfortably in our Camping labs large. Here it is shown with Yakima load bars, it now sits on a Frontrunner rack for more stability and options.

KC, Do you have any pics with the Frontrunner rack and RTT closed? Nice cruiser by the way, like the color. Do you have a build of your cruiser here on Expo?

ScottyDog

Adventurer
Gas mileage in an 80 without RTT = CRAP
Gas mileage in an 80 with RTT = still CRAP

I haven't really noticed too much of a difference. But the drag in a headwind can be a real pain.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
KC, Do you have any pics with the Frontrunner rack and RTT closed? Nice cruiser by the way, like the color. Do you have a build of your cruiser here on Expo?

I will look through some pictures to see if i have any, I should. The cruiser is always a work in progress and with 2 little girls always tugging at my coat tails I hardly document my builds. Right now I am working on my 40 completely tearing out the suspension and re-building misc. brake and clutch components which hopefully I can document.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Gas mileage in an 80 without RTT = CRAP
Gas mileage in an 80 with RTT = still CRAP

I haven't really noticed too much of a difference. But the drag in a headwind can be a real pain.

Scratch that and Reverse it.
with=crap
without=still crap

So you get 8mpg now?

yohavos

Oasis 2, Mombasa

I run the basic Mombasa that I got in a trade to a fellow for an Oasis II I had. The lady prefers the Mombasa, she and I sleep in it with our 70lb. lab/husky mix.

Only reason I run a tent is for her, when I'm solo I sleep in the back with the seats out. I take the tent off for more technical trails, which it doesn't sound like you're interested in. I'm told it weighs 120 lbs, but I can honestly say I don't notice it up there. Here is ours sans rain fly:

IMAG0399.jpg

Here's our late Oasis II. I originally ran the ladder off the side of the rack (not pictured) and used my roof rack as a front porch (side entry to the Oasis). I later rotated the Oasis so it ran parallel with my rig. This tent probably wouldn't be an option for you guys, but I figured I'd throw it up. For running solo trips, this was an outstanding tent, very comfy.

IMAG0243.jpg

-Mike

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I wanted to thank everyone that posted here and helped inspire and motivate me in progressing forward with a RTT. And talk about perfect timing of being able to pick up a used Eezi-Awn. May your future nights rest... be above ground. :)

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7230-1.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7208.jpg

IMG_7260.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Do you people with experience with RTTs and FJ80s think you could mount 2 RTTs to the top of an 80 series? I was thinking if they were smaller tents (big enough for two people though) and you had the right rack that two RTTs could be doable. Do you think the 80 series roof is strong enough to handle it in the long term?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz