Lets see your 80 series RTT pics

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
2200 rooftent, the 1 and only rooftent to buy for the family:

702789827_SuQP3-O.jpg

RMP&O, yes the roof may handle it, but I prefer the bigger tent. I did need heavier springs and put the sway bars back on.

JohnnyS

Explorer
The 1600 fits the two of us very comfortably, it is so comfortable that sometimes we can't help but laugh about it.
We're upgrading to 868s in the back, the 863s aren't cutting it since the addition of one of Christo's dual swing outs.
I weighed it the other day and we're right at 6700 pounds, the second spare and winch should push us over 7K.
Kinda heavy....

Attachments

• 10 & 11 2011 020.jpg
    10 & 11 2011 020.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 10 & 11 2011 022.jpg
    10 & 11 2011 022.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 933
  • Cookie's Birthday 2011 009.JPG
    Cookie's Birthday 2011 009.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

JohnnyS

Explorer
Nope that is with the 863s (Js up front).
It is pretty level but the suspension is way too soft for my tastes when off camber, the worst is rough downhill.
I'll also be adding more weight to the back pretty soon; the second spare will be mounted in the stock location on an OEM steel wheel, and I'm planning on a second drawer.
I thought about 864s but after talking to a few guys with a similar rigs I decided that I should probably go straight for the 868s.
The rig is always loaded as well, all we need to do to head out is stock the fridge :)
Input?

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Do you people with experience with RTTs and FJ80s think you could mount 2 RTTs to the top of an 80 series? I was thinking if they were smaller tents (big enough for two people though) and you had the right rack that two RTTs could be doable. Do you think the 80 series roof is strong enough to handle it in the long term?
You could try just 1 of the Howling Moon 2.4m tents! That's almost 8ft by 8ft when open!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I thought about 864s but after talking to a few guys with a similar rigs I decided that I should probably go straight for the 868s.

Yep, I've run 863s, then 864s and when I would do really long over-laden multi-week trips (2200 RTT, 5 people and food and camp supplies therefor, extra fuel, extra water, stuff hanging off the hitch wart) I went to the 868s. I would advise those at your weight. I like the 864s for moderate-heavy, but I would even sag the 864s on loaded trips.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
The 1600 fits the two of us very comfortably, it is so comfortable that sometimes we can't help but laugh about it.
We're upgrading to 868s in the back, the 863s aren't cutting it since the addition of one of Christo's dual swing outs.
I weighed it the other day and we're right at 6700 pounds, the second spare and winch should push us over 7K.
Kinda heavy....

That SLEE rear bumper sure is nice. Where is your second spare at? On the bottom or inside?

JohnnyS

Explorer
The second spare will go in the stock location. The bumper was designed so you can still access the factory tire winch mechanism.
I can really recommend the bumper, the plates that are behind the rear tires are super stout & complement the rock sliders well; it also allows us to easily carry two spares, fuel outside the vehicle, the hi-lift is out of the way, trash on the back, etc...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Here is my 80 with a Maggiolina Grand Tour in Montana...

2543Montana_9-06-LO.jpg

At the Grand Canyon North Rim...

Cruiser_near_GC.JPG

A customer's 80 with Columbus Carbon Fiber is Baja...

2543Chris_Gendusa-Baja1.JPG

Desert Dude with his 80 and Maggiolina...

2543DesertDude_FZJ80_w_Magg_Tent.jpg

An 80, 70, and a 60... with Maggiolinas:

Tres_Hombres.jpg

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
The second spare will go in the stock location. The bumper was designed so you can still access the factory tire winch mechanism.
I can really recommend the bumper, the plates that are behind the rear tires are super stout & complement the rock sliders well; it also allows us to easily carry two spares, fuel outside the vehicle, the hi-lift is out of the way, trash on the back, etc...

That is a very very nice set up you have their.

Blizz

Observer
My HDJ80 with the Maggiolina Airlander. I previously owned an Aezi-Awn like tent. Fiberglass tents are a lot better and cleaner to set up, less wind resistance and a lot better in the winter.

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

Cheers,

David

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
my airlander, med size. was a bit larger than i originally wanted, but works out better for my other half, who's rather tall. after a weeklong expo with friends, two of whom had fold overs, i realized that i couldn't do those. if you're height challenged, get a maggi. they are expensive, but are more durable both open and closed, quick setup and tear down, and easy if you're short. i don't have a vestibule yet, but plan on getting one. i also like that i can leave bedding in, whereas the foldovers can't. also, minimal if no fuel loss, very important with these fat bastards.

disadvantage, price and they take up a lot of room

Attachments

• DSC03298.JPG
    DSC03298.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 47
  • steel for bars 025.jpg
    steel for bars 025.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 50

JohnnyS

Explorer
Will the medium Airlander fit someone who is six feet tall comfortably?
What do you think your average deploy & stow times are?
Any complaints?

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior