Lets see your 80 series RTT pics

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I would like to see all 80 series RTT pics in the opened and closed positions. We are a family of 4 so the larger the tent the better! What are your tents pros and cons? We would like to know for real first hand family/80 series owner reviews. Would you suggest buying Eezi or Chinese? Is it really worth the extra money? I would like a real family/80 series review and thoughts. And now that you have your blank blank RTT would you buy it again? or recommend it to our family? We are leaning towards Eezi 1800 ? model, Hannibal Family RTT, or Camping Labs 71" wide. The...(All to familiar) - What RTT is best for our family or 80 series in general conundrum? :) Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I did not see you mention these guys, Cascadia Vehicle Tents http://www.cascadiatents.com/ certainly worth the investigation....

I actually came upon their site the other day and forgot about the CVT/Mt. Rainier Roof Top Tent. For the price and size it looks to be right up our alley. Do you have any experience with CVT or the MT. Rainier RTT? Were not planning on camping in Africa any time soon so any RTT thats commonly used by family folk is definitely appreciated. :)

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Hate to hijack so early - BUT:

Those Cascadiatents appear like remakes, or more likely rebadged, tents of other manufactures like Maggiolina and Mombassa only at a slight premium over the originals. Am I mistaken?

Mt Rainier:
1315506841.jpg

Maggiolina Airland:
425_Magg_Airlander_coppia.jpg

CVT:
1273039055.jpg

Mombassa:
MANYEXP.png

Airmonger

Adventurer
DSC00392.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

I have a family of 6 and have been struggling with how to situate us while out. We use an Eezi Awn 1600 and I would have now problem camping with a young family of four. It gets crowded quick with anymore than that. One contrant I have with size is that I don't think you could fit a larger tent on a Bajarack exp 80 series roof rack. Also I would like a t-top that covers the stairs as well as a changing room below that we could maybe use like a tent. Also if I could do it over I would get a front runner roof rack because everything is really tight on my rack now and I would have trouble mounting any accessories on the sides.

VanGo

Explorer
I actually came upon their site the other day and forgot about the CVT/Mt. Rainier Roof Top Tent. For the price and size it looks to be right up our alley. Do you have any experience with CVT or the MT. Rainier RTT? Were not planning on camping in Africa any time soon so any RTT thats commonly used by family folk is definitely appreciated. :)

I personally do not have experience with CVT tents, but ExPo has recognized the Denning family recently who are currently travelling with 5 kids that use the CVT Mt. Rainier RTT, pictured here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...th-and-South-America-in-a-Veggie-Powered-F250
The tents do appear to be a re-badge, but based on the performance of the recognized manufactures, your location and CVTs great customer service it seems like a note worthy company to consider. Now to see a few more RTTs mounted on LCs....

Van

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hate to hijack so early - BUT:

Those Cascadiatents appear like remakes, or more likely rebadged, tents of other manufactures like Maggiolina and Mombassa only at a slight premium over the originals. Am I mistaken?

Schattenjager your absolutely right... Been looking at the Mombassas all morning and really like the their family size jumbo covered entry model (Adventure 2). For the price and size looks to be exactly what were looking for. The covered entry and changing room available for this model is one of our key requirements.

rtt9011.jpg

Here's the site that we've been looking at.
http://www.top-tent.com/mombasaprodpage.htm

Any more pics out there?

ssssnake529

Explorer
Probably not what you're looking for, but here are some pics of my RTT.

It's an Autohome Columbus Carbon. Won't fit a large family, but is great for me and my wife. (We make our kids sleep in a ground tent.) Would be fine for 2 adults and a small child, but I wouldn't want to squeeze any more than that in it. It's light, aerodynamic, set up takes less than a minute, and take down takes about 2 minutes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Equipt Expedition Outfitters 80 Series Land Cruiser w/Eezi-Awn 1600

O.K., I'm going to be very biased:) Here is the Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top on my personal 80 Series LC. This was on our trip along the Mexican border from Texas to the EXPO in AZ this spring. I had the Eezi-Awn Series 3 1600 on the roof rack here. I also had the Eezi-Awn Awning deployed with the Rec-Vee panels installed.

IMG_8231-Edit-web.jpg

Here is the 1600 from the passenger side again, but without the awning out.

IMG_7888-Edit-web.jpg

Here is the Eezi-Awn Series 3 on the same trip deployed from the rear of the vehicle.

IMG_7748-Edit-web-1.jpg

Here is the Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top in the closed position from the front while on the Sea of Cortez earlier this year!:sombrero:

IMG_6934.jpg

Here is the Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top in the closed position from the rear while in the closed position.

IMG_6959.jpg

Here is the Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top without the side room installed

IMG_6808.jpg

Here is the Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top deployed with the room installed and solar panel attached on the Sea of Cortez.

IMG_6037-web.jpg

One more from the front!

IMG_5670-web.jpg

I hope that some of these images help in your decision process!:ylsmoke: I've had a lot of roof top tents and do about 150-200 nights per year sleeping in one, or at least a tent and love the Eezi-Awn for its shear ruggedness, water proofing and quality of construction. Oh yes, I sleep like a baby in one too.......

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
WoW! :Wow1: Some very nice pics of 80 series with RTT's indeed.
benedmonson, I especially like the Baja pics.
Our goal is to have a RTT by ending of February, so we have lots of time to enjoy your folks pictures.
Please... Keep the pictures coming. Thank you

Renneberg1

I have Tepui tent
Just me and my wife. Easy fit 4

Cons:
I think the zipper that attaches the cover could be stronger.
A couple string tabs that hold the window flaps closed were poorly sewn and need to be resewn.
Rainfly flaps in the wind making it tough to sleep (let's just say we were using a dome tent 50 nights a year and the RTT is loud in the wind).

Pros:
It's awesome.
It can be set up in 1 minute.
Sooooo roomy.
Changing room with floor... Great place to cook in bad weather.
82c2abd7.jpg

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Here is our 97 CE 80 series, much like yours! we have 2 girls (5&3) and for now we sleep comfortably in our Camping labs large. Here it is shown with Yakima load bars, it now sits on a Frontrunner rack for more stability and options.

Attachments

• IMG_6802.JPG
    IMG_6802.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6801.JPG
    IMG_6801.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 133

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94