Adding Air Bags to the Jeep for Towing

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Towing my trailer for the last 3 years or so with my TJ has taken its toll on my rear suspension. I bought my Jeep with an average "budget" lift already installed and I think it is now time to upgrade my suspension. I would like to get the suspension set up in the rear to account for the additional tongue weight and not have it sag too much when fully loaded and still have it perform well off roading. I have been thinking about adding air bags in the rear similar to this http://4x4xplor.com/airlift.html with some heavy duty springs and shocks on the stiffer side. The person on that website notes that the air bags do not hinder the articulation of the suspension. Has anyone here done anything to the rear suspension on your vehicle to help tow a trailer? Has anyone used air bags?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I used them on my Toyota Tacoma. I would not say they DONT hinder the performance while offroading, but they didnt hinder it much. It depends on what your idea of 'performing well offroad' is really. When I unhooked the trailer, I usually put the bags down to 5-10 psi (minimum required in the bag), and they stretch pretty good. They can go pretty flat, but the up travel is where you need to be careful, or using a limit strap/system so you dont over stretch them. I have a photo of them stretched out pretty good on my Toyota from back in the day, but will have to post the picture tonight when I get off work since photobucket is blocked here. Unless you want to search for it yourself. User name is Topfuel443, under the 'truck' album. Its a public album.

It worked great to be honest, and the slight trade off for limited suspension travel, was worth it.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. Is this the pic you are talking about
SS100143.jpg

I dont think strechting is a factor here since this type of airbag does not seem to be attached on the upper side of the spring. I think you are right about the upward travel being limited with the air bags. By the looks of the pictures in the link the air bags compress nicely.

I used them on my Toyota Tacoma. I would not say they DONT hinder the performance while offroading, but they didnt hinder it much. It depends on what your idea of 'performing well offroad' is really. When I unhooked the trailer, I usually put the bags down to 5-10 psi (minimum required in the bag), and they stretch pretty good. They can go pretty flat, but the up travel is where you need to be careful, or using a limit strap/system so you dont over stretch them. I have a photo of them stretched out pretty good on my Toyota from back in the day, but will have to post the picture tonight when I get off work since photobucket is blocked here. Unless you want to search for it yourself. User name is Topfuel443, under the 'truck' album. Its a public album.

It worked great to be honest, and the slight trade off for limited suspension travel, was worth it.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yep, thats the one... For 85% of the 'offroading' most guys do, you wont have a problem even with a set-up like I had. I was not able to click on your link (again... the interweb nazis at work.) so I assumed it was a standard firestone style airbag. If its not attached at the top, you should be good to go!

Edit: Checked the link you provided on my smart phone... ok, totally different set-up. Wasnt really thinking about the TJ coilover aspect of it either.... forget everything I said, other than it helped with towing the trailer! :)

Last edited:

Matto

Observer
Hi Patrick,

I've got AirLift 1000 airbags in the back of our Pathfinder. Ordered them from truckspring.com. They work well. They allow us to run reasonably soft suspension around town and empty, as well as tow the camper nice and level when loaded up. Like StumpXJ, we run ~5psi in them "empty", and 30psi in them when loaded.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. The Pathy doesn't have a huge amount of rear flex, but I can't say I've noticed a decrease. In my mind, they're a much better option for flex compared to the alternative, which is to get super stiff springs. Softer springs + airbags give you the best of both worlds.

Plus, if you want to go for the Funny Car look, you can just pump em up!

P2060029.JPG

P2060032.JPG

It's a really simple install, and a really good result at the end.

Good luck!
Matto :)

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I put airbags in my 2002 TJ and moved them to my 2005 LJ. The set supplied to me as the "correct" ones run the air hose up into the spring retainer which needs to drilled to allow the hose to come out. I followed the instructions precisely, and had to go back and make the hole larger. This does not seem to affect the spring retainer. I also carefully removed all burrs where the hose passes thru the spring retainer. The hose has failed in this area a couple of times when I have seriously flexed the suspension. The top of the bag moves down with the spring pulling the hose in, then the hose must exit the spring retainer when the suspension un-flexed. When I do normal day to day driving, I have had no problem.
Look at jeep forum and do a search on Caprice springs in the TJ section. There is a lengthy thread about Caprice and Crown Vic springs for the rear. I decided to live with my airbags.
YMMV

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
This is high on my list of to-do items, especially since I got a free set of OME front springs. Once I get those installed and the vehicle sits level when static and unloaded, the rear sag will be ridiculous when I start to throw things in the back or hook up a trailer. This seems like the best option for my daily driver FJ.
I can tell already I'm gonna have to try the funny car look for myself...:coffeedrink:

Last edited:

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
X3 on the thumbs up for the air bags. I run them on a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited with a 2" lift towing an AT Horizon. The tongue load is up there with fuel and water tanks full. The air bags make all the difference in the world. My first set lasted 3 years until I got a pin hole in one from a small piece of rock caught in the spring. I bought a replacement set and keep the good single one as a spare on the trail.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
A guy in my club put them on his ZJ and popped them the first time offroading. Don't know any other details, just trying to share another experience that I know of.

Feileod

Observer
I have had AirLift springs on my TJ for a few years now. I highly reccomend them, they handle my jeep loaded with four people and trailer loaded with gear with ease. They solve the conflict of a compliant suspension and load capacity. I bought mine from Summit Racing for $75 and they were on my door step in 24hrs! It took an afternoon to install them and I was on my way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier