I like the following (iOS):
- WorldLens (spanish to english text rendering)
- Scouts Knot Guide
- Sit or Squat (mostly for my daughter :-)
- The Weather Channel
- Units (converter)
Some good apps here - many thanks for a few new little shiny things for me to mess with
Things I use on android
-Extremely handy now that you can precache a 10sq mile area. Doesn`t pre-cache terrain or satellite, but just open map area you want to scroll about and the map tiles, terrain or satellite will be saved in the cache - nb Google“s app updates occasionally foof the cache, which is nice...
- This small app can load GPX files from other GPS“s or websites and hey presto a route can be used in Googlemaps. Can also record track in normal method for review later. Displays terrain vs time graphs etc. Great little tool. Go to resources such as www.wikilocs.com for enormous database and reviews of walks, drives, tracks, biking routes and all manners of outdoor tomfoolery.
Google Star Chart and Star Chart Lite
- both extremely good at what they do - fun, educational and useful
- A truly great little app that provides reams of data about GPS and other sensors in your android - a swiss army type utility - a must have
Satellite AR - good way to while away some time looking at satellites in orbit. Tracks all (well mostly) satellites as well as International Space Station, so you can watch it`s tiny blip cross the sky!
- as mentioned above - very handy for storing info on multiple platforms.
- Another Swiss Army Knife type tool - great for finding free WiFi and for diagnosing truculant WiFi routers at home.
- does what it says on the tin. Takes your many megapixel/megabyte image and reduces it`s dimensions/res for email etc. Very nifty tool, given that smartphones are getting beyond 8M pixel and file sizes are chunky, too say the least.
- I use a Spain specific one, but there are many excellent products.
- SwissArmy tool again. Gives you a very pretty UI for running speedtest on your pc, android or iphone. Either as app or from the Ookla website. Very handy when you`re paying for 10Mbs down and getting 56K!
AnimatedKnots by Grog
- As much as I adore Ashley Book of Knots, it“s a bugger to carry around. This app is simply excellent. Website is ding dang as well www.animatedknots.com - great for education/refresher as well as practical purposes.
So the Google Tracks app changes the GPX tracks to a route? Does this mean that if the track had offroad sections they will be changed to streets?
Last edited by Jeff@QuadShop; 12-10-2011 at 06:29 PM.
1999 Mitsubishi Montero SR
1989 Mazda B2600i Turbo Diesel http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=29762
1987 Suzuki Samurai LWB Turbo Diesel
1998 Suzuki RMX250
1996 Honda XR600
Trans America Trail (TAT) survivor.
Gotta give a plug for All Stays Camp & RV
It has 20000 plus campgrounds, places to overnight stay, Cabelas, truck stops, propane suppliers, low bridges. We like it when we are driving late and don't need a real place to stay, just somewhere to park and sleep for the night. It has phone number with all the campgrounds so you can call and confirm they exist along with cost etc. It does everything real time based on GPS locale as well so you can look around you or put in a destination. Only downside is its not free, but its worth the $4.
I have several of these on my i phone and I wonder can the app be transfered over to my apple computer? an old 2003 G-5 with the power pc chip virtually bullet proof. how is it done?
Note: you can't "use" any of these ios apps on your Mac. Same is true for a brand new intel based Mac. Different OS's. However, many iOS apps have been ported to Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion) format, but you buy them separately from ios apps via the MacApp store (10.6 or higher required for app store on your Mac)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu
EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer
Build Thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...61#post1083061