Help on cookstove guys, A little confused here

NFADUDE

Guys, I picked up a two burner cookstove that came from a popup and added brackets to attach it to the side of my camping trailer. Im a little confused to what I need to connect this safely to a 20lb tank. Do I need a regulator? High pressure? Low? High capacity?. Ive included pics of the only two stickers on the stove. The stove hose uses what ive learned is a female throwaway cylinder connection.
DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
You will need a regulator. Take it to an RV repair place, they can give you exact information you are looking for. I think you have to use the green adapter cap for this type. It does make a difference.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
There are "high pressure" and "low pressure" propane appliances.

Things like BBQs and outdoor stoves are often "high pressure". The working pressure is usually around 10-20 p.s.i.

RV type appliances are typically "low pressure". The working pressure is around 1/2 p.s.i.

That's the pressure at the part of the appliance that is doing the work (the burner), NOT the pressure in the supply tank. Supply tank pressure can be thought of as "even higher pressure". A 5 gallon tank might be up around 120 p.s.i. Even the little 1 lb. disposable bottles can be up around 100 p.s.i.

So...you gotta have a regulator to control the pressure. In a typical RV setup, there is a central regulator which hooks to the tank, and all the plumbing after that is only carrying the 1/2 p.s.i. low pressure.

If the appliance was designed to hook up directly to a propane tank (either big refillable or a little disposable), then it has to have a built-in regulator.

So check your stove out. It almost certainly has a built-in regulator. If it does, and the only thing you are using the propane tank for is that stove, then you can just change out the hose for one that has an ACME connector for the 5 gallon tank on the end instead of the hose you have now that has a connector for the disposable bottles.

Mr. Heater sells hoses like that to connect their Buddy heaters to a 5 gallon tank:

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails.aspx?catid=355&id=355

F271158-15.jpg

Last edited:

NFADUDE

Okay guys, I took it apart, I cant get the knob cover off but there is no regulator inside.
DSC_0296-1.jpg

Here is the only stickers inside..
DSC_0297-1.jpg

DSC_0298-1.jpg

10000 BTU/ 16psi manifold pressure.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have that exact same grill in my popup. it works great, and the burners throttle down really well for simmering. I did modify it quite a lot, since when its mounted on the side of my camper, the burners are much too close to the rear, and close together to hold any normal sized pan. I basically made a new top plate and moved the urners further apart and further out. GREAT little grill. I will take a pic and post it here, just for your reference if you have the same problem.

You will have to run a regulator with it though. Mine is attached to my camper, so I cant help you on specifics, other than taking a picture of it.

~Stump

Robert Bills

Explorer
You will need a high pressure regulator at the tank, with an ACME connector to the tank and the approppriate connector at the stove. Any RV or trailer supply house should have what you need.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Not sure if any of this will help, ut here are a couple pics.

The regulator, straight off the big bottle, then plumbed throughout the camper. Its in a hard to reach spot, best I could do...

IMG_20111019_201010.jpg

The side of the camper where the stove hooks to, you can see the other end of that disposable style connector. Right behind the tire, along the frame rail.

IMG_20111019_201029.jpg

IMG_20111019_201046.jpg

Ill snap a pic of the modified stove if you like Friday morning when I prep the camper for the weekend. Its inside, and I dont feel like opening it up. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles