Styling comparison: Tacoma vs HiLux

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Hmmm...interesting. I'd have to say it's the first time I've preferred the look of the Tacoma to the Hilux. I like the 2011 Hilux front end much better myself.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I tend to gravitate toward the exterior design of the Tacoma, probably because that is a familiar looking truck to us in the States although the wheel arches have never look quite right to me since its debut in 2005. The exterior of the Hilux looks odd to me. The fresh lipstick the old whOre Tacoma received for 2012 looks great in my opinion. I love the new 2012 Tacoma front end treatment! The Hilux’s schnoz looks like a Toyota HiAce van and a Ford Fusion had baby trucklettes.

I could personally care less about the Hilux’s diesel and I bet most in the US won’t either once they see how much they will cost to be “Americanized” to meet emissions if it ever gets offered here. On the other hand, I would love to see the Tacoma get the Hilux’s manual shift tranfercase. It is asinine Toyota thinks everybody in the US wants a stupid electric switch to shift the transfercase. Not all Americans are soft palm flit boys! The electric shift tcase is a deal breaker for me where I would not consider a 2005 to current Tacoma to add to my little fleet. At least one can have a real 4x4 lever in the FJ Cruiser and new 4Runner.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I like the Hilux...looks like the world version ranger/amorok...And I want a lever!!! I am no soft palm flit boy...(I am stuck with a 4x4 dial):(

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Levers are nice but in over 6 years I've never had an issue with the dial, works every time and is smooth like butter.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Levers are nice but in over 6 years I've never had an issue with the dial, works every time and is smooth like butter.

Oh, you will. Just give it time. Slow to operate and as reliable as a plastic anvil. Like GM, Ford and all of the electric ones they'll leave you in a pickle when you need it the most or leave you stuck in 4 low when you have 40 miles to go to civilization on 1/16 of fuel.

4xdog

Explorer
Exterior styling of the Tacoma for me, save the rear wheel arches. Strong win for the Tacoma's interior. Engines gotta go to Hilux. Put 'em in a bag and shake 'em up and we might just end up with the perfect truck.

Don
2001 Tacoma TRD 4WD DC

keezer37

Explorer
Hilux looks like a four wheel drive Camry.

Toyota-Camry-2012-1.jpg

2012Hilux.jpg

4xdog

Explorer
And it doesn't look completely different from my Lexus RX350. Which is *not* what I want in my truck.
1214887911_PBvxh-L.jpg

If I could have the front from my old 1981 Pickup -- or a 60 or 70 series -- I'd be just as happy.

Don

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
If I could have the front from my old 1981 Pickup -- or a 60 or 70 series -- I'd be just as happy.

I agree with that. I like the front end on my 1990 Hilux as well.

2012 Tacoma's look pretty mean though. I like'em! Looks more like a truck than the Hilux's mug.
$(KGrHqEOKjEE6Y5Yc48eBOm,ojEcqQ~~60_3.JPG

nucktaco

Adventurer
i gotta give a thumbs up to the new hilux. i think the 2012 Tacoma looks pretty hideous. only thing i dont like about the hilux is the retardedly short bed. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles