2003 Honda xr650L Any Recommended Mods?

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I am new to the off-road motorcycle world, I have had a few road bikes but have little off road experience. I recently purchased a 2003 Honda xr650L and I am looking for any recommended modifications to the bike from fellow owners. My intent is to ride 75 % of the time off road, I plan to take it with my truck-camper set up and use the Honda to reach places my camper cannot go in order to pursue photography.
Thanks!

texasguy

akblack,

Good choice. I have a 2007 and for a simple dual-sport, you can't go wrong. We also use ours when camping to go places the truck won't go and have no problem 2-upping on most trails - the wife is fearless. Likewise, being street legal allows us to get to and from trails and travel in between as necessary and while not a power house or as off-road capable as other bikes I have had, it's a decent compromise for exploring and allows 2-upping. Most XR's get modified during their lifetime so some of the mods I am recommending may already be done on yours. If stock, following would be my list of priorities:

If you are not familiar with advrider.com, I suggest going there, look under thumpers and then under the XR650L thread.

Basic Mods:
Decork and jetting. First order of business is to remove the smog gear and add block offs if not already done. The XR's in general come from the factory lean and need to be rejetted. Do what is known as "Dave's mods". You can find the instructions for decorking and Dave's mods at various places on the world web. These mods are not necessarily just for power improvement but to get the bike running better, cooler and often better gas mileage. But if doing it just for more power is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
Foam airfilter (UNI or K&N are popular choices)
Aftermarket silencer - since you are getting more air and fuel in, a less restrictive (and lighter) silencer is beneficial. I'm still running the OEM however and whatever I choose will have to be as quiet (personal preference).
Tires - since most of your time is off-road, a good set of knobbies are in order if you still are running DS tires - Dunlop 606's are a good choice.
Handlebars - The stock handlebars make for poor ergonomics. I switched to Renthal "CR high" models - I'm 6'2" and allows for a decent standing/riding position. Some people go with risers but I found the stock bars have a strange angle back as well as being too low. Some people find bars and risers to best fit them.

Accessories:
Handguards - Scrap the handguards for bark buster-type guards - save the digits.
Rack on back - If you want to carry more gear, there are various racks available - beware load limits and know that if you want to load it heavy, a subframe mod/reinforcement should be considered - XR's are known for a weak subframe if using your XR as an expedition tool.
Oil cooler - a common mod as air-cooled XR's want to run hot at times - several configurations available - all fairly equally effective.

Maintenance:

Keep clean oil in it
Read up on how to do a CDI repair and/or buy one to keep with you (known common XR650L problem). At a minimum, learn where the CDI unit is so if you are in the wild and it won't start, a light ********** on it with a wrench while running the starter may save you a long walk back.

Other than that, they are a very reliable machine with reasonable treatment. Enjoy!

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
I rode with a couple buddies last week. Both had tricked out 650s. If you are not wanting more power and are going to leave the motor stock then I can skip that stuff.
These guys both had nice bikes, to note the big things they did were.

PRO-BEND hand guards. awesome protection.( I have them on the KTM)

Larger fuel tanks. I think they were 4.7 gallon tanks

Nicer foot pegs, larger plate forms.

Bar risers. Well they both replaced the upper triple clamp that then incorporated a Nice billet bar riser.

Fork leg brace. This was a billet piece that added stiffness to the lowers on the forks. they stated it helped a ton with handling.

Hope this all helps. These guys were really good riders and pretty much schooled me all day on and off road.
I had 80/20s on the KTM and tried not to slow them down to much off pavement.

Good luck and that is a great bike...

Attachments

• photo(57).JPG
    photo(57).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Thanks!

TexasGuy and Zolo, Thanks for the great information! This is why the Expedition Portal is such a great resource!
-AkBlack

atavuss

Adventurer
an easy, cheap, and fast way to get more low end grunt is to change the front sprocket to a one tooth smaller one. Gives it tractor like low end! I added a custom made rack that I sourced on epay to mine. you may also want to change the factory oil dipstick out to one that has a thermometer in it.

Hondarider

Adventurer
All excellent recommendations. I've got a 2001 and I've done these mods. I'll routinely do 100-200 miles of dirt fire roads and trails in a day and this combination has been flawless.
~ Acerbis oversized tank - the stock tank is tiny if you are going to do any exploring off-road
~ handlebars - I went with TAG in a high CR bend so that I can stand comfortably for hours on end
~ bark busters - get some nice ones...they'll save your levers and your hands
~ tail rack and bag - some place to keep your rain gear, your camera, and your lunch
~ desmog it!
~ Jet it
~ air box modification
~ aftermarket exhaust - more flow=GOOD more noise=BAD...I've got a Supertrap and it's way too loud...give yourself a headache after 8 hours in the saddle...next one will be much quieter
~ Corbin seat - completely transformed my bike from a 60 mile machine to a 250 mile machine - makes a huge difference
~ foam filter - goes well with the jetting and the pipe
~ folding mirror - not that big of an advantage, but it will take a hit without any issues
~ DOT KNobbies...I've got the D606s and they are great on the fireroads...not terrible on the roads either
~ and my absolute favorite mod - HEATED GRIPS. I can't say enough good things about having warm hands - it extends my riding season by a month each year
~ good boots - I've got some Alpinestars...hard soles wil heep your arches from hurting if you ride standing up all day...they're also water proof and could save your ankles/shins in a crash

I think that's most of what I've got. The bike is fantastic (aside from the loud pipe). I'd post some pics if I wasn't at work. The Xr650L is a work horse and will take you all sorts of interesting places. Have fun!

Attachments

• XR650L.jpg
    XR650L.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

bondvagabond

Observer
Search weight reduction for your model, there are some common things you can do to drop some weight and give you a bit more payload. Always good if you are riding two up or carrying gear

Other than that, on my 93 all I did was aftermarket exhaust (saved 7 or 9 lbs cant remember) and big old plastic tank. It worked great, only reason sold it was to help us buy first house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz