Some German overland vehicles

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
That is one bad ******** G-Wagon!!! :Wow1:

My style of truck....pretty awesome. Here is another G on portals, these are Mog axles though.

290GD%20-%20MogAxles1.JPG

290GD%20-%20MogAxles2.JPG

290GD%20-%20MogAxles4.JPG

from here....

http://mercedes4x4store.com/photos.htm

Someday I am going to put portals under a dedicated overland truck. Until then, this is the best I can do....

main.php

main.php

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
That´s nothing compared to what happens when Hans Baur (ORC) builds a long wheelbase G wagon with the carbon-fibre expedition cabon from Malte Asmus (www.Maltec.org) and Wolfgang Tibus´ bolt-on portals...that really is mental and almost beyond imagination....

To top that off you can only look at the expedition/hunting Haeglund the Hellgeth brothers (www.hellgeth.de) just build for a customer. Beyond anything I have ever seen or could dream of before I saw it in their workshop...

Hellgeth are the kings of Mogs and Haaglund's for sure. Any pics of this expedition/hunting one?

The blue ORC SWB on Mog axles is one Eurotruck Importers in the USA sold. I don't know where it went though--very cool.

Oilworker

Explorer
Sorry, I have been on the road to Dakar doing the support for a friend in his Porsche 911 Safari in the Africa Eco Race 2012.

But back again, here´s one of the latest ORC / Maltec Expeditin G wagons, build by Malte Asmus and based on a G Professional...

AS1_2723_web1000t.jpg

AS1_2720_web1000t.jpg

If you like I can get you some interior shots, too.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes please!

Interesting--the hood/fenders are matte black yet the rest of the rig is gloss black. I wonder why that is.

Oilworker

Explorer
The matte/black is because of the walk-on surface with sand structure which comes with the Mercedes G Professional

Top view...

20111128_Maltec_G_02725_web1000t.jpg

20111128_Maltec_G_02752_web1000t.jpg

20111128_Maltec_G_Interior_web1000t.jpg

More in the coming days.

Just the same expedition truck is currently in the workshop and that one will stand on the 4" bolt-on portals which I kicked off with my prototype request/order 3 years ago.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The copper interior is excellent!
So the Tibus/Maltec/ORC will be 3yrs in the making?

Oilworker

Explorer
:ylsmoke: sounds doable :)

The expedition camper is being build as we speak.
The portals I kicked off when I persuaded Tibus to build me a set and he asked "do you really think there´s a market for them?"

I nice to see how it all comes together now. More images next week.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
:ylsmoke: sounds doable :)

The expedition camper is being build as we speak.
The portals I kicked off when I persuaded Tibus to build me a set and he asked "do you really think there´s a market for them?"

I nice to see how it all comes together now. More images next week.

Ha, silly Wolfgang, portals are for kids. :sombrero:
He's now sold something like 10-20 of the $13,000 kits? You should get a rebate check Robert, LOL.

Looking forward to seeing the portal'd expo camper!

Trypto

Have you painted your sidesteps in matt black on G?
Or its coated ? Made by ORC?
Is it good ? What about scratches from footwear etc?

Capo

Happy Camper
Thanks for posting these very useful links and wonderful pictures!

It gives me inspiration to possibly sell my Expedition G400 "Rommel" in two years in order to start an all new build.

Rommel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 55

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for posting these very useful links and wonderful pictures!

It gives me inspiration to possibly sell my Expedition G400 "Rommel" in two years in order to start an all new build.

Rommel

Very nice! What different build are you going to do?

Capo

Happy Camper
Very nice! What different build are you going to do?

Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.

Rommel is now totally proven and a very solid, all-together vehicle. I bought it new and drove it stock only for a couple of years before rebuilding it. The rest has been a journey of continuous minor improvements by either breaking things or by redefining my needs. It's been tested in Morocco, Lapland, Spain and in Europe in general. It's been very well taken care of and quite expensive to build due to plenty of custom made installations.

Over to my very possible new build:

I have always dreamed of portal axles so that would be highly likely.

I am hooked on plenty of power ever since I bought the G55K so it would have to be an AMG. This is because they don't provide the wonderful V8 Diesel option anymore. I have a 300hp KCR-chip on Rommel and it is a beast.

Rommel's bull bar is awesome. By retracting two lockable spindles it tilts down and doubles as a loading platform. It is engineered for heavy duty so it easily carries two deer or two wild boar. I use the front winch to load up. I'd like the next owner to keep that bull bar and I'd make a duplicate for the new ride.

The 140l additional fuel cell with transporter fuel pump will be copied.

I'll copy the two-level luggage compartment with tie-down ring bolts and a steel grid bulkhead to the cabin - all very strong and clever and it all stays with the vehicle when I sell it.

I'll also copy the foldable cooking station which hangs on the bull bar at perfect ergonomic height. It's a great location as it keeps annoying smoke away from the cabin. When cooking in fierce sunshine I stick a parasol on the bull bar which provides excellent protection without trapping uncomfortable heat from the three-burner cooker. In Morocco I've been getting fresh fish from the fishermen on the beach, straight from the Atlantic into the Bouille à Baisse cooking on the stove - quite splendid indeed!

Other general gear I would definitely copy from Rommel for the new build are: compressor, portable rear hitch winch, RC search lights on the flanks of the roof rack, roof rack mounted rear flood lights, GPS, extra battery, underbelly protection, heavy duty suspension with extension stop-slings, steel braided extended brake hoses, twin hydraulic jacks, Hi-Lift and complete recovery gear including sand anchor and extra plasma rope for long distance winching, rear standby air bellows (in case a coil spring breaks), water capacity and of course the awesome stock Bose sound system.

However, the new build will not have a roof tent, neither a fixed awning. Instead I'll sacrifice the rear seat bench to give room for stowage and I'll have a flatbed inside of the cabin. There will be a light weight roof rack which will incorporate another feature from Rommel which I quite like: a hinged "emergency exit" opening right on top of the sun roof. It opens from both sides and flies up on gas struts. It's great to keep open when there is a risk for needing to shoot out quickly like if you go into the drink or flip the vehicle and the doors get blocked. For normal use it's handy when I need to quickly go up on the roof rack to identify an animal with the binos or take a quick photograph from up high with a clear view.

Those are my thoughts, more or less.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online