Dodge Cummins Electrical Issues

GaryMc

Explorer
Figured I'd ask here before I start digging into things I don't know anything about... My 2000 Dodge Cummins 4x4 has suffered a loss of brake lights and turn signals at about the same time. Fuses and bulbs are all in good shape and that is the extent of my electrical knowledge.
Any thoughts as to where I should start?

Thanks- Gary Mc
Grand Junction, CO

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Find a wiring schematic

I bet the juice flows through the steering column to the multi-function switch.

GaryMc

Explorer
It does and I just replaced the switch. They still don't work. Crap!!!

EDIT: After jacking endlessly with the PDC fuses I have my turn signals and flashers back. I also have my drivers side window working again, I don't know how in the Hell I managed that....

Still no brake lights though....

Last edited:

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
A good place to ask Dodge questions is over at: http://dodgeforum.com/forum/index.php
Easy to sign up and have areas for your generation Dodge. Also wiring diagrams and much more.
I'd offer an idea but I'd just be guessing, those guys over there really know there stuff and have probably had similar problems.

Good luck!

lstzephyr

wanderer
Get a wiring diagram and a meter. You probably have a loose wire somewhere.

My truck did the same thing and I had to redo a few connections. Dodge's aren't exactly known for their wiring.

bftank

Explorer
under your truck in the back by the spare tire, you will find your taillight harness their is a connector there that dodge splices into for the trailer wiring. this is a very common place for prior owners to get in there and mess things up. wether or not the wiring is messed up, this is also a connection known to corrode due to being behind the rear axle. i would check this one first, if you see a green calcium like build up the corroded wires and connectors will need to be replaced and anything else that is rigged together in a hanky way down there.

silverstate55

I've got a 2001 Dodge Cummins and have been battling the electrical gremlins for the last few months. This seems to be a common theme for Dodge truck owners.

Most of the fixes I've seen (and have resolved on my own) come from pulling apart each connector, and removing each wire from the connector plugs. If they're fairly clean, add some flux and solder the pin to the wire; it seems the crimp isn't quite enough over time. Do this one at a time for each connector plug, so you don't get things crossed around.

Once everything is soldered & cleaned up, use some di-electric grease on each connection to keep corrosion at bay for awhile.

Sometimes I need to take a hard eraser (like we used to use in school way back when) to clean the contacts on each fuse, to resolve issues like you are currently having. And the previous poster is exactly right about the rear wiring harness, get that thing cleaned up first...I'd solder each connection and double heat-shrink them for the best protection. If you live in a wet/humid environment, or experience snow in the winter on a regular basis, most likely your electrical connections are green & crusty by now and may even be in need of replacement. I highly recommend Geno's Garage (http://www.genosgarage.com) and the Turbo Diesel Register (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/) for help with any Dodge Cummins issues....I've been able to solve many a problem with my truck with help from the TDR and Geno's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior