1/8" or 3/16" wall tube for frame?

java

Expedition Leader
i was planning on using 2x2 .120 (1/8) wall tubing for my frame. But i found a few sticks of 2x2 3/16 on CL for a decent price. it seems like most people use 120 wall. 3/16 will add about 75 lbs to my trailer. im trying to keep it light, but is it worth saving 100 on steel for the weight?

thoughts......

Woods

Explorer
Depends on what you're doing. Do you have an expected total weight dry and loaded? What is the toughest trails that you plan to go over. I'm building a trailer that is designed to make it through the Rubicon trail. 75 lbs. is important. A trailer is a real game changer on tough trails. If you're planning on more overland type of travel 75 lbs. is not as important.

java

Expedition Leader
Im trying to keep weight down to a minimum. The trailer I have now is small and made of angle iron so its light and I really don't want the new one to be much heavier. No really hard trails, mostly light stuff.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
IMHO, If I were using 2x2 it would have to be 3/16" wall. So to savbe $100 and have it 50% stronger it's a no brainer, go for it. I built my last trailer frame out of 2x3 x 3/16", but I like to over build things ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94