Pintle vs Lock&Roll vs Max Coupler

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I guess word still hasn't gotten around yet - the Lock-N-Roll has been redesigned so it no longer has this problem. I have one of the new-style LNR hitches (since the Max Coupler doesn't work on standard trailer tongues) and am very pleased with it.

When was it redesigned and how can we tell the difference?

Word may not have gotten around because the LNR guys have such a poor attitude towards customer service.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Jim,

We have the new LNR and have been happy with it. They swapped the ends on it so you can no longer kink the trailer end when backing up. Basically put the swivel side opposite of where it used to be. Been running it for 8 months or so with no problems. Where as our Max Coupler started to separate and almost failed, in turn losing the trailer. Supposedly Max Coupler has fix the problem, but we gave them plenty of time to do so and it never happened. We needed a coupler and moved on and back to LNR. We towed with an original LNR for about 4 years prior to going to a Max coupler. The problem with Great Lakes Forge (LNR manuf) is that they have military contracts. They're not exactly jumping out of their chairs for a $200 coupler when they are producing 20,000 piece Purchase Orders. I talked to the owner in length right before last years Overland Expo and they expressed that they wanted to fix this and realized that we matter. If that took place i wouldn't know since after the part arrived, i haven't needed anything from them. The coupler has worked flawless and we go out more than most people.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Jim,

We have the new LNR and have been happy with it. They swapped the ends on it so you can no longer kink the trailer end when backing up. Basically put the swivel side opposite of where it used to be. Been running it for 8 months or so with no problems. Where as our Max Coupler started to separate and almost failed, in turn losing the trailer. Supposedly Max Coupler has fix the problem, but we gave them plenty of time to do so and it never happened. We needed a coupler and moved on and back to LNR. We towed with an original LNR for about 4 years prior to going to a Max coupler. The problem with Great Lakes Forge (LNR manuf) is that they have military contracts. They're not exactly jumping out of their chairs for a $200 coupler when they are producing 20,000 piece Purchase Orders. I talked to the owner in length right before last years Overland Expo and they expressed that they wanted to fix this and realized that we matter. If that took place i wouldn't know since after the part arrived, i haven't needed anything from them. The coupler has worked flawless and we go out more than most people.

Where can you purchase a LNR hitch when they are available?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
They are available now, i think they make them special order.

www.locknroll.com

They've re-vamped their website as well and show the newest version.

511-506.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I've been looking around for a different hitch system for my 1955 Bradley utility trailer. It's kind of a wider, lower sided version of the M100 or M416. When I have the trailer on and wood gathering (we heat our home with firewood) behind either my XJ or my Dodge 4x4 I get twisted up pretty bad. The ball hitch does not allow for enough twist.
So my question is: in the photo above, are either end of the hitch parts on a swivel? If not, that would be a deal breaker, as I need more swivel than the ball and socket provide.
I've owned five jeep trailers over the years and only now, in the twilight of my life do I have enough space to store one.
About 1965 I home-built a small trailer to pull behind my 1949 Jeep Ute Wagon. Pulled the tongue right off the damned thing.
I had a 1942 Bantam with lunette. Uh! was that thing heavy. About 600 lbs. Bullet proof though.
I had a 1967 Viet Nam War era M 416. It was lighter and we did an SOA on it and changed the wheels. It was a good one. Again with a lunette.
DSCN0079.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

I had a 1968 Con Ferr Toyota Land Cruiser jeep trailer. This one was clearly the best of the lot. They made a few of them in their Burbank shop. It was all metal, with a sturdy axle and matching Toy 6 lug hubs and same track width with a hinged and waterproof pair of locking lids. Also had four lockable jeep can holders on the sides. It was about 450 lbs. Two woes: it had 'trailer springs' which broke on a trip to Baja about 1974. I replaced them with much more robust ones. It also had a stamped coupler/ball set up which didn't allow for much twist. Here it its: axle removed and carcass laying across the Tomba Burro to the roof in the Vizciano Desert, Baja.
jefe15_jpg.jpg

Last year our neighbor was moving and I asked if their 1955 Bradley was going with them. No it wasn't. But for $100 I could take it. Terrific shape and no rust. Original oxidized (think lead based) dark blue paint. Sears sold these by the thousands in the 50's and they are built very tough with a double diamond plate floor and thick metal sides and abbreviated fenders. I rewired and put new lights on it; and built 32" tall cedar stake sides all around. It has a tailgate and a set of springs that look like they were from a pickup rear axle of the era. Big 15" wheels/tires. I'll bet it would take a thousand pounds of gravel without a wimper. I've had it loaded to the top with fresh cut oak with no woe. Interesting that it has a truss rod under the main tongue channel iron. I'll take a pic of it for you.
We have a tandem axle 1960's small horse trailer which I've completely enclosed and we use it to haul our trash to the dump. No garbage pickup here. The bears were getting to be a nuisance before that with the trash. It's now bear resistant. it was white in color when I got it ($225) and I wanted to put great big 12" letters on the sides announcing the intent of the trailer: "White Trash". This idea didn't go over big with Jeanie so I painted it Saddle Brown.
I also have a tandem car hauler with which to haul my CJ8 rock crawler around. I did an SOA on it too. I guess I have more trailers than I thought.
DSCN0759.jpg

So now we're back to what is going to replace that stock socket/ball set up.
regards, as always, jefe

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
So my question is: in the photo above, are either end of the hitch parts on a swivel? If not, that would be a deal breaker, as I need more swivel than the ball and socket provide.

They definitely have a swivel, looking at the web-site that was posted, it does state that there are two different models, one with a 45* limitation for sub-2000lb trailers, and one with full 360* swivel for all trailers. I will probably get the Lock-N-Roll for my trailer. I was very happy with their last model.

http://locknroll.com/

Dave, any thoughts on full 360 degree rotation vs their new rotation limited hitches?

Not that you were asking me... But it looks like the rotation limited hitches they sell are only for smaller trailers. Not sure why that is, but for me, if I'm going to get a mult-axis hitch, getting one with a limiter seems counter-productive. Being able to fully isolate the twisting of the trailer would seem to be a good thing on an off-road trailer under almost all circumstances.

Don

-

richxd87

Observer
Don, appreciate your response. I've just heard of situations where a pintle would prevent a trailer from a roll over because it is not allowed to rotate 360 degrees. I thought maybe the LNR with limiter might be the best of both worlds? Appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks,
Richard

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Good information boys. In my experience dragging a military trailer over the Rubicon, I don't think 45 degrees is enough. Of course, we've rolled those little militaries onto their lids a few times, and maybe that would not have happened if we had the limiter. But, what about the torque on the hitch at the limit? That's the problem with the ball hitch: too much torque at the limit, which comes too soon for where I go with it.
I still haven't decided which way to go. I took a few pics of my 1955 Bradley:
Here's the offending cast or stamped hitch: (don't open these if you have limited download speed)
DSCN0403.jpg

and a few more pix with the cedar sides on:
DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0404.jpg

DSCN0405.jpg

Yes, those reflectors came with the trailer lo those 58 years ago. And no, the sides go away if using the trailer for boondocking/Expo-ing.
jefe

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
I have used the "old style" LNR on a AT Horizon and never had any issues with it. On a So-Cal Krawler TD that I had used last year it had the Max Coupler, (which was the early style version that did not suffer the issues that Adventure duo had which was the mass produced version) and it worked well too. I found the LNR was a lot easier to hitch up, especially by myself than the Max Coupler. On my next trailer I would more than likely get a LNR and would seriously consider the one with limited rotation.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Let me revive an older thread with a noob question: Would adding a hitch receiver extension also make it easier to back up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne