Pintle vs Lock&Roll vs Max Coupler

When we list someone in our Retail Partners section it doesn't mean that they give us stuff or any other quid pro quo kind of deal. We list companies there that we have bought gear from and think that it is quality stuff. If you understand that then you would know that your argument is nul.

If you look at the companies there Jeep gives us jack ****, nothing, not even recognition. You think if we say that Jeeps are great (they are by the way) that we aren't being objective. As for some of the other companies like QuadtraTec, 4 Wheel Parts, 4WD Hardware - they all do the same thing but they all have good prices, will match prices, offer free shipping and in their case our members do get discounts with them but we don't play favorites, we list them all because our members buy from them.

Other places like Rock Hard, HiLift, Sportsmans Warehouse, Extreme Terrain, Delorme, Sierra Expeditions, Wild Boar and all the others give the organization NOTHING. We like their products and recommend them. Perhaps the section should be renamed so as not to confuse you and perhaps others, but then again, any name for that section might not sit right with some people.

You have your mind made up, that's fine, like I said everyone has their opinion but you seem to want to trash a product that you've had absolutely NO experience with. I on the other hand, and members of JEO have had thousands of miles of overland travel using Pintles, Max Coupler, Lock N Roll and yes the XO coupler so we can make an informed and intelligent observation on all of them and be unbiased too.

Perhaps you would like to meet with me and I can let you borrow my XO Coupler for a weekend to let you see how much better of a product it really is. You might even change your mind.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Dude, I'm not trashing any product. I am criticizing your failure to disclose that you have a "retail partnership" [your words] with the supplier of the product you are pimping.

Dude, I'm not trashing any product. I am criticizing your failure to disclose that you have a "retail partnership" [your words] with the supplier of the product you are pimping.

My mistake then, I am guessing I got the wrong impression. In any case there is not any real partnership or any quid pro quo going on here. Ark never gave anything to Jeep Expeditions nor did they ask to be listed on our website, in fact we asked permission to list them on our website. In all fairness though they did offer us a discount if we bought 10 or more of any one item from them but then again, there isn't any company out there that would not do the same for a bulk group buy and that includes the makers of MaxCoupler and the LNR

I could have easily had Max Coupler, LNR or even one of the scores of pintle mfgs on the page but I don't consider them to be a superior product for the average off-road traveler with a trailer. If I/we thought they were, they would be there with the XO. We can't list every product available so we list what are considered the best of the lot. Every member who has had any experience with the XO product will tell you that it is better than anything they have used in the past.

I've had the website changed to reflect that there is no quid pro quo to have companies listed in that section. If that's not good enough for you then I don't know what else I can say.

I gave you a fair offer to use my XO Coupler for a weekend to attempt to sway your opinion after actually using the product.

I never intended this to become a pissing contest of any sort or to create any drama and please take no offense to this but I've said my last words on this to you.

Last edited:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Backing an M416 with a standard length tongue can be fussy. One thing I found that helped a lot was adding short flags to the back corners of the trailer. I couldn't see the trailer in any mirror or out the back window of my FJ Cruiser until it was already well on its way to one side or the other. The flags were tall enough that I could see them out the back window which made keeping track of the trailer a lot easier when backing. A RTT, a rack or just a taller load of stuff did the same job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
JeepExpeditions.org, your posts to me come off as marketing and almost arrogant, with no real facts, experiences or information to show a true subjective contribution to the subject.

JeepExpeditions.org said:
This trailer was built in my driveway specifically for multiple day overland trips.

Is the reason your emphasizing the point that it was build in your driveway is that it's not only built-not-bought, but also is suppose to sympathise with the people who don't have a garage or a shop to build one, and to disassociate your present opinions with those of the organization?

Multiple day overlanding? Well, most trips those with of a trailer revolve around more than just going for a day picnic....

The beauty of the design is that it can be mounted several different ways including directly to the front of the hitch or using 2" stock like I did so it can be removed or made longer or shorter by sliding it in or out of the receiver that runs from front to back of the trailer. The coupler is mounted on a 3ft piece of stock so I can easily change the tongue weight by adjusting the length of the hitch.

I don't really see much of an advantage here over the LNR or the MC. The point where you put it on a 3ft 2" square tubing isn't a point advantage to the XO since the other couplers can be mounted and the exact same thing can be done with them as well. The XO can be bolted directly on yes, as opposed to the LNR and MC while normally require a piece of 2" ID tubing to secure them to the tongue of the trailer, but you still had to weld a plate as a solid bolting point for your XO...so you weld a plate for the XO, or weld a piece of 2.5" tubing for the LNR and XO, same necessity executed differently.

Well everyone has their own opinion of what they like and don't but it's kind of hard to pass judgment on a particular product unless you've actually had hands on experience with that product.

I've had the opportunity to use all three so I can make an objective comparison.

If you look at the history both the Max Coupler and the LNL have both had their share of issues, some have been fixed, others, maybe. In its long history of use in Australia, there haven't been any issues with the XO Coupler which speaks volumes. And the Aussies have some of the best off-road trailers in the world.

Your right, but not every one has the opportunity, nor the money, to spend over $1000 in couplers, just to try them. Being in Canada, it could cost me close to C$2000, with import fees and international shipping, to become a "coupler expert" and give them all a try...

NOTHING is without problems or growing pains. Personally, the OX, I've barely ever heard of it or seen it in action. To me, if something is less common, it's natural that we hear less about problems. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's as popular as you say it is since I've heard almost nothing about them. Maybe in Australia is it, but they're off-road crazy over there and have MANY coupler choices to choose from that we don't have here.

You have your mind made up, that's fine, like I said everyone has their opinion but you seem to want to trash a product that you've had absolutely NO experience with. I on the other hand, and members of JEO have had thousands of miles of overland travel using Pintles, Max Coupler, Lock N Roll and yes the XO coupler so we can make an informed and intelligent observation on all of them and be unbiased too.

Despite all your experience with them, you've presented nothing at all that really separates one over the others other then the ease of coupling, which is indicative of itself since it uses standard ball. Articulates smoother then the others? Really? Is there that much of a different? Where's the issue/slack/restriction in the other couplers? Articulates like crazy? Again, is there something more that the XO can do that the others can't in articulation? Nothing about that coupler "speaks volumes" to me (or us?), so speak to us more about it....cause essentially, you literally sound like this:

tgreening said:
MY HITCH IS BETTER THAN YOUR HITCH!
Neener Neener.....,

Robert Bills said:

I lol'd at that ;)

Personally, I see one downfall and because of the width of the coupler, there may be a limitation and the lack of ability to jack knife the trailer to 90 degrees (or beyond) unless your using a hitch that's raised, cause the other styles of a level or drop hitch (which would be very typical), it would hit.

And adding to the topic, since getting these receivers into Canada is expensive, a few of us got one made by a local fab and machine shop. It would sell for C$200/$150USD. Getting a say, Max Coupler at $230USD, plus $100USD shipping = C$437, not including any brokerage fees or taxes crossing the border if any. I haven't mounted mine yet, I need to get that part done, and also, the season is almost over, but I'll have it for the start of the next.

92jdY3d.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Massive! Cool rotation lock thingy there too.
NRC2051-ROTATING-TOWING-HOOK-FV.jpg

Yes; you can either have it locked in place, or unlocked and it'll rotate 360 degrees. I really like pintle hitches; easy to hook-up and unhook, and with adequate tongue weight I don't find it noisy. Plus I just like the military look. Not everyone likes them (hence all the other multi-axis hitch options out there). And not trying to start a love/hate pintle hitch thing - I'm enjoying seeing all the other multi-axis hitch options out there on this thread.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a M416 trailer with a pintle system. I have been reasonably happy with the pintle. I don't take my trailer on really extreme stuff, but it has been in many tight places, off camber trails, and over its share of large rocks. Overall, it performs really well. I love the security of the pintle knowing that it won't pop off like a ball system will sometimes.

Only issue is backing up. It is possible to back up, albeit slowly, and not at extreme angles. But it certainly does not behave like a ball system when backing up, and will jacknife very easily. Getting it up my driveway in reverse usually takes a few attempts to get it to track/ turn correctly. I think the trailer's PO pinched it bad on at least one occasion b/c the trailer has a slight bow in it if you look carefully at the area above and to the right of the hitch.

How is the pintle compared to other these other systems? Is there a better option for me?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

some other Expo threads on the same or similar topics

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...o-buy-a-Treg-Poly-Block-coupler-Max-questions
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/89782-Show-me-what-a-multi-axis-hitch-ca-do
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/65926-Max-coupler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior