Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The CrowsWing - Offroad Teardrop Trailer

Wow! Nice work - both of you! If you need a hand, give me a call. Can't wait to see the results.
    2001 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3RZ, AT, SAC, 5.29 gears, ARB FR/RR locker, and a few other mods... Build thread, Post #33
    AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK
    Adventures in and out of your Overlanding Rig... American Adventurist

Great work and great family plan, keep having fun, and know in your heart both of you are dumping money into the money pit!!!! Takes the head ache out of it.

We really haven't been able to do more yet. We did make a trip to Reading PA, to Industrial Plywood, which was the closest place we could find that would get us 3/4" 5x10 sheets of plywood. It gave us a good reason for an overnighter since it was a 3 hour tour to get to Reading.

The hard part was the haul home. The Tundra does not have a 5' wide tailgate, so I had to use the siderails of my bedrack, along with some 2x4 cross supports for the ply to lay on and our bed extender to carry the additional length. Of course we had to stop by WalMart to buy more ratchet straps to stop the bouncing on the freeway, but I can always use more ratchet straps.....never, ever seem to have enough of those.....

Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

CrowsWing
    Benroy Teardrop on TnTTT
    CrowsWing Benroy Teardrop on ExPo
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra

This looks great! We came to a similar conclusion about storage for our build as well.

Subscribed!
    ~ Dave
    ----------------

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

R. Frost

Awesome. I can't wait to see the build start to take shape.
    Jared
    2005 Toyota Tundra
    M416

"It is not the place of outsiders to make one-size-fits-all mandates to a world of different shapes and proportions. In doing so, they create an atmosphere where pebbles are polished and diamonds dimmed."

Very Nice

Well, it seems we were actually able to get a bit done this weekend! We finally did the layout on our 5x10 template for the windows, doors, dadoes, and spaces for the insulation. Fun weekend, but these short winter-time days aren't nearly long enough for working in the driveway! I know you're all just itching to see what we accomplished, so I'll show you

We used the Sketchup program to get the correct measurements for the dadoes that the bulkhead and the bed floor will set in. The glare of the sun made it a bit difficult to read the screen, but we persevered.

We also marked where all the cabinetry, doors, windows, lights and any other pertinent items that would need wood for support. We had to do the layout for all this so we could know where not to cut away plywood.

We did a rough layout in beautiful blue tape of all the places we could dispense with wood. This should save a little weight on the trailer itself and will also provide the area for a bit of insulation. We're not normally cold weather campers , but you never know where you might end up some times, so the plan is to prepare for the possibility.

We marked out all the spaces with a marker, keeping in mind our insulation is 14" wide. We made sure our spaces were a maximum of 14" in one direction, this would keep us from peicing together insulation to fit the space.

With all the marks marked we were able to begin cutting. I drilled the pilot holes while my lovely wife ran the saber saw and left us a pile of sawdust in the driveway.

We must have done sumpthin right today.....the door and window trim fit!

With a little bit of time left we built a jig to bend some hatch trim with

We annealed 1 peice of trim to test our jig with. These are going to be caps for the hatch wall....you'll see their fitting in the future, so don't fret too much about their use. As a side note the test bend went splendidly, although we don't have photos of that process; yet. We show you the whole jig and the bending in the next installment.....
    Cab it?

CrowsWing
    Benroy Teardrop on TnTTT
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra

Outa curiosity, and that I really love teardrop builds but lack time and space to do it, how much did the insulation holes lighten the 3/4 ply? It's a methods I always considered if I where to build one.

Don't know yet. This is just our 1/2 inch ply template for routing out the 3/4 inch ply we'll be using for the wall. I do plan to weigh the wall before and after so, I'll let you know.....
    Cab it?

CrowsWing
    Benroy Teardrop on TnTTT
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra

Any more close up pictures of the wife working on the trailer. I will leave them around the house for mine to see. It might work, oh yea I can see it happening NOT!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast