RTT Orientation and position on truck with cap?

roboter

Observer
I have an Eazi-awn RTT and I am torn as to which position and orientation it should be? As of now, I have it mounted directly to my snug-top bed cap with some brackets I fabbed up and it opens up to the left side of the truck. Our rig sits really high, so I had to extend the ladder another 14 inches.

Option 1-Mount it on some yakima roof rack cross bars and have the tent fold over the hood of the engine compartment.
This will allow my to design a mount for the ladder on the front bumper and have safe support of the ladder that doubles as the tent support. It also allows easy access by standing on the floor boards of the cabin with the doors open while stuffing in the corners when folding it back up.

Option 2-Keep it on the bed cap, but rotate it so that the tent folds over the rear of the truck.
This will allow me to fab up some skirts for a changing room. Still no strong support of the ladder and I have to fold it up if I need to move the truck a short distance on the campsite. Folding it when packing up camp is also cumbersome because i have no place to stand while I tuck in the corners of the tent.

Here is what I currently have.

Picture004.jpg

Your thoughts?

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Usually, I prefer to mount a tent to the rear of the vehicle roof. This will improve the aerodynamics by putting the tent into the slipstream created by the windshield of the truck, and also allow ease in opening and deploying the tent at the rear.

I do not like the 'open over the hood' option -- it's a PITA to set up, enter, exit, and stow the tent.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Here is a crazy idea. Mount it as is but mount it on a rotating base so it can be turned to any side you wish lock it in place and deploy. But mount towards the rear for gas economy.

CliftonSmith

Observer
I have an Eazi-awn RTT and I am torn as to which position and orientation it should be? As of now, I have it mounted directly to my snug-top bed cap with some brackets I fabbed up and it opens up to the left side of the truck. Our rig sits really high, so I had to extend the ladder another 14 inches.

Option 1-Mount it on some yakima roof rack cross bars and have the tent fold over the hood of the engine compartment.
This will allow my to design a mount for the ladder on the front bumper and have safe support of the ladder that doubles as the tent support. It also allows easy access by standing on the floor boards of the cabin with the doors open while stuffing in the corners when folding it back up.

Option 2-Keep it on the bed cap, but rotate it so that the tent folds over the rear of the truck.
This will allow me to fab up some skirts for a changing room. Still no strong support of the ladder and I have to fold it up if I need to move the truck a short distance on the campsite. Folding it when packing up camp is also cumbersome because i have no place to stand while I tuck in the corners of the tent.

Here is what I currently have.

Picture004.jpg

Your thoughts?

For me, I think I like the idea of Option 1. I will definitely try it on my truck for our next camping. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier