Star Trails - Night on the move

suntinez

Explorer
Rusher, those are some awesome shots!

More playing tonight - 6 mins, 36mm, f/4.5, ISO 200. Trees were reflecting some red xmas lights below.

1ee.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. Happy New year. :wings:

BTW I like the lunar landing module comment. Most appropriate. :victory:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Brad,

What was your exposure data? Time, ISO and f stop? Also I read somewhere that colder nights are prefered for star trails, but can't find it again to remember why....

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Colder nights just usually have a clearer sky.

My shot was taken at f3.5 with 10mm wide angle. ISO 200 for 30 mins.

bzauche

Observer
Hey all! I just joined the forum a couple minutes ago and the photography forum caught my eye. While I don't have the surroundings that a lot of y'all have, I love taking pictures! Here's my most recent star trail shot:

911-2.jpg

photoman

Explorer
Here are a couple from Friday night along the Arizona and Utah border.

1. F2.8 - ISO1600 - 16mm - 25sec
i-xmtC6t8-L.jpg

2. F6.3 - ISO200 - 16mm - 1519sec
i-LJhMXXj-L.jpg

3. F6.3 - ISO200 - 16mm - 1446sec
i-cm6V5tH-L.jpg

RusherRacing

Adventurer
A couple tips since we are talking about techniques etc.

I do single exposures, using a cable remote on bulb mode... My camera has a built in intervalometer but so far I have just been doing single exposure.

You don't want to go to low on your Fstop. I typically go around F8ish range... Enough to pick up the bright stars but won't pick up all the stars... If you shoot wide open you pick up to many dim starts and it can ruin your effect and it also limits the amount of time you can stay open. I shoot for 1hr exposures F8 ISO 100... Keep the ISO as low as possible to reduce the noise. Then once in Photoshop you will need to significantly adjust the curves to make the stars pop..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94