Star Trails - Night on the move

photoman

Explorer
Bringing this thread back to light.

I have really started to enjoy shooting at night. Here are some of my latest shots

IMG_7375-L.jpg

IMG_6390-L.jpg

IMG_6915-L.jpg

IMG_7316-L.jpg

IMG_7324-L.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow, number 2 with the lightning and number 4 with the submarine foreground. Awesome photos.

photo_i

Explorer
Yes, lightning shot is really cool! But I have a question - this is a very long exposure, judging by the star movements, how did you get that bolt so clear? :)

photoman

Explorer
Yes, lightning shot is really cool! But I have a question - this is a very long exposure, judging by the star movements, how did you get that bolt so clear? :)

Yes- this is a single long exposure RAW image. The bolt was pretty clear in RAW form and through my normal editing process it ended up pretty much like this. The only thing I did to enhance it was to bring the white points and highlights up a bit.

photo_i

Explorer
Yes- this is a single long exposure RAW image. The bolt was pretty clear in RAW form and through my normal editing process it ended up pretty much like this. The only thing I did to enhance it was to bring the white points and highlights up a bit.

Awesome! :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader

So how many exposures did you take that night trying to get that shot?

photoman

Explorer
So how many exposures did you take that night trying to get that shot?

You will be surprised. I only took four shots that night and only two from this location. I drove the rim road and walked around a bit before settling on this location. It was windy, cold, and I was tired. I set the timer and went back to the car for each shot. Saw this one as the 2nd shot and called it a night. :sombrero:

Now on other parts of my trip I shot a boat load of images including the last night on Paria Plateau I didn't even go to bed. Shot straight through the night through sunrise and then drove home. Full moon will make a photographer turn crazy.

Boost Creep

Adventurer
got this a couple months ago. only my second attempt at it but i think it turned out alright. need to make myself have more time to do more cause i like these kinds of pics. d7000. ~15 min. iso 100. f/3.8

1912041_687921087962401_4808764095159324718_o.jpg

DKBrulles

First Star Trail Attempt, evah...

Left the shutter open for about 5 minutes. Not sure if the sensor on my camera can handle much more of these before I do damage to it. There's a star trail setting that I can download for my camera so that the shutter doesn't need to stay open the whole time and burn out the sensor, might be a good investment...

Attachments

• DSC01225 copy.jpg
    DSC01225 copy.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles