What the coldest my Bigfoot camper can really withstand?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
So we are back here in Truckee working on the house and living off the camper.
Last night was the coldest night so far, with temperature a bit below zero.

The water froze in the garden hose pipe outside...everything is okay so far in the camper but I am getting a bit worry that water could freeze also. We left the water heater on and obviously the heater on too.

I keep hearing/reading that Bigfoot campers are supposed to be 4 seasons...but I don't want to end having to replace broken pipes under the bathroom floor...

:)

Also another challenge is that there is a huge temperature difference between the living area and the sleeping area - the hot air coming from the heater vents does not circulate enough. I need to add a fan somewhere.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Christian, I own a Bigfoot too, a few recommendations;
1) Open all Cabinets inside the camper, the warm air will circulate and things will not freeze in the cabinets.
2) If you are really worried about the water heater or other tanks freezing, you can lift the seat cushion (lift wood door too) on the rear dinette seat and allow the warm air in the camper to circulate around the water heater tank, the fresh water tank, and both black and gray holding tanks. You can use a small fan to help circulate the warm air around the tanks.

I have been in Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky in the winter months with temps in the teens with no freeze problems.
A friend I know has a Bigfoot and lived in Alaska, he claimed to spend weekends at 30 below zero and never had a freeze problem?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Here's another data point: We've camped in our C25-10.6 in temps in the 20's fairly often, and on a number of occasions down into the teens with no problems. We take no special provisions other than having the heater on, usually turned down pretty low overnight when we are sleeping.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks guys. we had no problem last night.
This is night is supposed to be a bit colder around 17 degree....but it's totally comfy inside!

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have a Northern Lite (same design), for air movement I picked up a small 12v fan. This way I can aim it to where I want. Works great in -20 & -30c to defrost the windows.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, we made it through several nights with no freezing problem, but no water this morning. Something froze somewhere. It is still below zero (32F) outside right now.

does someone know where is the fresh water tank located on a Bigfoot 2500? I am trying to decide where I should point the portable heater...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, we made it through several nights with no freezing problem, but no water this morning. Something froze somewhere. It is still below zero (32F) outside right now.

does someone know where is the fresh water tank located on a Bigfoot 2500? I am trying to decide where I should point the portable heater...

All right, I found it. And I found also why it froze...

The heater has an output vent that goes down to the water tank area, under the dinette.
It seems like we put it down too low (we had an electric heater too).

I must say I am quite impressed by the quality and design of this camper.

So far the lowest we have had is about 10F but it is supposed to get even colder this week.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Used ours in -20C, didn't even try to use the water system but that was easy to deal with in other ways. No issues.

AuroraShooter

Camping in a Bigfoot Camper at 30 below zero

The heater has an output vent that goes down to the water tank area, under the dinette.

So far the lowest we have had is about 10F but it is supposed to get even colder this week.

Hello, I am a aurora photographer in the Interior of Alaska and I have camped in my 2008 25c9.4 camper at 30 below and colder with no issues. Everything worked great!

incognito

Adventurer

on mine below zero celcius I put 2 inch foam on the range hood hole, behind the cheap plastic door 30 amps, behind the exterior shower door and the city water door also. insulated 2 layers of aluminium bubble the front roof exit . due to my mods I have a 2 inch blue styrofoam under the camper
cold can also come in throught the battery vent, if you dont't have the box properly installed
the ideea is keep the cold outside the heat inside

the electric heater you have is heating the living area not the basement. the propane heater is pushing hot air into the basement , where the hoses are located
on mine i,ve drilled 2 3 inches holes and put vent grills in order to have more air from the living going into the basement
if you do a lot of winter camping an small 4 inch fan too push the air into the basement is better
hope this helps incognito

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online