Removing Anti-theft lug nuts.

corax

Explorer
Well, I got lucky! The safety locks were sold by the Lexus dealer! Took it too the Lexus shop (three bays next to the four bays for Toyota) and they removed all four and replaced them with four new ones - and did it for free! I couldn't believe it.

Not wanting to seem unappreciative, I took them some chocolate covered bacon.
:luxhello:

Working at a Lex dealer, I was going to suggest that - we have a master set of lock keys for every 4 techs ;)

It's awesome that you brought in a bit 'o happy for the techs. That kind of thing is always appreciated. For example, I can still remember the guy's name that wrapped a six pack up in a brown paper bag with a note that read, "for the tech working on my vehicle" . . . anytime I see his name pop up he gets preferential treatment

granitex1

Adventurer
Instead of welding on a nut, you can always put enough of a weld bead on one side that you can use a larger socket without having to drive anything on the lug.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Interesting that this Thread would come up...

Just last Thursday evening a friend was almost given (cheep) a 1995 Izusu Trooper. He has little auto experience so he brought it over to our Thursday night group. On Thursdays I open my shop for any of the guys to work on their vehicles.

We figured we would look over the Trooper and let him know what needed to be done right way and what could wait. Turns out that the same kind of security lugs were on his vehicle but the removal tool happened to be broken. After checking out a few auto parts stores with no luck, we decided to donate two low quality sockets and with a little weld we could remove two of the lugs with each socket.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

I guess if we needed to we could just cut off the welds and use the lugs and socket again, but I told the new Trooper owner his wheels and tires were hardly a theft target.:ylsmoke:

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

roving

Observer
Find a crappy socket a little bigger then the security nut, and hammer it over the security nut. they take the broken socket back to sears.:elkgrin:

broken1

Observer
Yea, security lugnuts are the lame. I once thought they were a must have. Then every time I had tire service I had to remember, or be reminded, then dig around and find the key. Little pain for me. Then I lost the key. Big pain for me. The tire shop I went to did the hammer on special lug nut thing. No pain for them. Since then I wouldn't bother with them. If I was a wheel thief I'd get a set of those first, so if the people who might want to take them off will be able to with no problems, what's the point?

Chili

Explorer
I would not have put them back on.. What happens when you are stuck on the side of the road with a flat and your "key" breaks? Theives all know how to get them off, as do most legit car people.

As others posted, I have never failed to remove one with a slightly smaller socket pounded on, or the specialized removal sockets. They sell them at Harbor Freight too.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
When I worked for a tire shop we used the sockets with the teeth that you pound on with a hammer. I bought a set at AutoZone for like 20 bucks. Works every time, best thing I've found for those round ones with the pattern in them

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I have also used the toothed sockets with good luck. They just have sharp teeth that bite into the nut. If you get the complete set they are good for stripped out lug nuts as well.

The trick is you have to use an impact hammer to hammer them on straight. If you use a regular hammer every time you hit it you jar it sideways and lose a bit of bite. An impact hammer puts them on nice and straight giving thebest grip. Then a 1/2" impact to buzz it off. It's actually quite easy with the right tools.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
just weld something on to it that allows you to then put a socket on the lug. Done deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior