Snow Peak Double Wall Titanium mug

Project510

Adventurer
This past weekend at the Overland Rally in Hollister, Ca I had the good fortune of meeting Zach and Jonathan from Overland Gourmet. 2nd only to the amazing food that they were regularly serving to us Expo folks was some of the gear they use/sell. I have seen lots of folks talking about and showing their recent Snow Peak purchases and was interested, but to be honest the high price had me always putting purchasing anything on the back burner (no pun intended)

Well, I have to say... once you actually see/use anything from this compnay it changes your whole perspective entirely. Jonathan and Zach were detailed in their description of how well the products worked, and just how much the products can help you achieve a "gourmet" meal while roughing it where ever you may be.

To ease the pain on my wallet, as I am a pretty low budget traveler we started with the what I think is the best hikers mug I have ever seen. The Double Wall Titanium mug. The specific model I purchased was the 450. Now they have many different sizes, and even colors but the wife and I stuck to the standard metal finish as I enjoy that look (and it was a few dollars cheaper). We purchased these cups after making hot Chocolate the night before, and in 48* weather it went cold after about 10 mins in just your standard camping coffee mug.

After switching to the Snow Peak, the difference in temps and how long it kept it hot was most deffinately noticable.

Ok enough blabbing.. onto the details. So I had a slow morning at work, decided to keep track of temps and time and stuff

Temp inside office was 60* (windows open cold morning breeze)

Started with boiling water let sit for a few seconds then made coffee. At 11:00 am tenps were 190*

DSCN5453-L.jpg

At 11:15 after tossing in some cold milk temps were 154*

Then I just took random temps and diff times

11:20 140*

DSCN5455-L.jpg

11:40 124*

DSCN5459-L.jpg

By 11:50 am, 45 mins after first pour.. it was finally at a temp low enough to want more heat. 100*

Also decided to toss it on the scale, and it was exactly 4 oz. Snow Peak lists 4.2 on their website, and I added the draw string mesh cover and got 4.2.

Anyways, love my cup, so does the wife.. thought I would toss it up on here in case anyone was interested. I am not a avid hiker, so the smaller size is perfect. If I hike more, the 600 series would be of more interest for soup and other stuff.

Also, a note to add since I asked this myself. Do NOT put this over an open flame like a jet boil or portable hikers cooking system. I was told a simple hot plate for indoors would keep it warm and be ok.. but I only ask because I drink coffee incredibly slow.. as to avoid drinking multiple cups.

So for those interested, www.overlandgourmet.com is where I purchased both of mine from.

Last edited:

Adventurer
HI,
Nice report with objective evidence. I have a Snow Peak mug. You don't have measure anything to determine how well it works. A bit pricey, yes. Worth the money? Also yes.

Sparky

tradman

Observer
I just ordered 2 of these (along with $1500 worth of other snow peak swag) and I got the french press and milk frother last week. This stuff is awesome!

CSG

Explorer
They're great if you're humping them on your back but there are better options if you keep the stuff in your rig. I have a couple of their titanium cook pots and Sierra style cups but in my rig I keep a double walled stainless mug that's larger and has a plastic twist open/close lid. I think the real key for long lasting hot temps is the lid.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I just ordered 2 of these (along with $1500 worth of other snow peak swag) and I got the french press and milk frother last week. This stuff is awesome!

going to be getting some SP stuff so curious if you post pics of your stuff what you go to setup ? my purchase will be a nice kitchen setup :)

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I bought the sp double wall mug and ended up exchanging it for this. I agree the sp mug is great for backpackers and moto travel but for vehicle camping I think there are better options. It is very robust, packs well and looks beautiful. I don't have hard data because I didn't have a thermometer with me but I did one trip with it in the mammoth area and it didn't retain the heat well at all. I didn't have the lid and I know it will make a difference but not sure that it would make that much of a difference. With the REI thermos, I've burned my mouth hours later :coffeedrink:. So when I make hot drinks I vary the time the drink sits out before I fill the mug depending on how soon I plan on drinking it. And it has a very reliable seal and easy one handed operation while driving. Another big plus is it fits in my cup holders in the 80.

tradman

Observer
I keep all my cooking and eating utensils in one box that I haul in and out of the truck. I never worried too much about the weight of all this stuff since after all the truck was carrying it not me. However, as more things got added to the chuckbox just hauling it around was starting to become a chore. I suppose I could have split things up a bit to redistribute the weight but I decided to see how light I could get the box by replacing everyting with the lightest (functional) options available. Hence I ended up with the a lot of Snow Peak Ti in there.

What a difference! Obviously not the most cost effective solution to save my back but it's always fun to buy new toys.:)

Project510

Adventurer
I bought the sp double wall mug and ended up exchanging it for this. I agree the sp mug is great for backpackers and moto travel but for vehicle camping I think there are better options. It is very robust, packs well and looks beautiful. I don't have hard data because I didn't have a thermometer with me but I did one trip with it in the mammoth area and it didn't retain the heat well at all. I didn't have the lid and I know it will make a difference but not sure that it would make that much of a difference. With the REI thermos, I've burned my mouth hours later :coffeedrink:. So when I make hot drinks I vary the time the drink sits out before I fill the mug depending on how soon I plan on drinking it. And it has a very reliable seal and easy one handed operation while driving. Another big plus is it fits in my cup holders in the 80.

I went this route first actually, but I made the mistake of running a cup of coffee through it.. and now thats all I can taste. I had planned to use it for cold water on long walks with the kids, or just hanging outside.. but no matter what.. the lid always has a coffee taste. Tried soap, lemon, nothing..

Im also planning on hiking more.. not to mention a bike trip to the grand canyon from Ca.. so I am sure I will get my $40 worth. Not to mention its a great looking cup. If you read the first psot tho.. I mention the cost... Not many products we use around here that can be described as long lasting, cool and cheap..

Xterabl

Adventurer
To make the point, you should compare this mug's performance to that of a plain old home ceramic/porcelain coffee mug...pour the same coffee or hot water, and measure with identical thermometers after 5, 10, 20 minutes, etc. This is something everyone could probably relate too. Just a suggestion.
BTW, I'm still waiting for evldave's mug to hit the market... :)

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I went this route first actually, but I made the mistake of running a cup of coffee through it.. and now thats all I can taste. I had planned to use it for cold water on long walks with the kids, or just hanging outside.. but no matter what.. the lid always has a coffee taste. Tried soap, lemon, nothing..

Im also planning on hiking more.. not to mention a bike trip to the grand canyon from Ca.. so I am sure I will get my $40 worth. Not to mention its a great looking cup. If you read the first psot tho.. I mention the cost... Not many products we use around here that can be described as long lasting, cool and cheap..

My thermos actually comes apart in three pieces and cleans fine for me. No coffee aftertastes.

As mentioned before I agree this is a great mug for hiking for its light weight and portability. I would actually like to purchase this mug again for moto travel - something I just started doing. But for my style of vehicle camping and coffee drinking the rei thermos is a much better option for me. I was very dissapointed how quickly my coffee cooled in mammoth hence the exchange for the thermos. I couldn't justify an extra 5 bucks for the lid that still may leak. 43 bucks for a mug, 5 bucks for the lid. At nearly 50 bucks for a coffee mug didn't quite do it for me.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I tried to buy a couple of the Snow Peak double wall mugs a while back - I just couldn't get myself to spend $55 (cost @ Sportsmans Warehouse a couple years ago) on a freekin' coffee cup!!!!

It was a bit easier for me to spend $8 (current price = $10/ea - they were on sale at the Expo) on a double walled stainless mug from Kanz Outdoors at last years Overland Expo. It's a bit smaller than the snow peak mug (Kanz = 10oz), and it may weigh a little more (Kanz mug weight = 3oz), but hey, it saved me $47 per mug.

:coffee:

Project510

Adventurer
My thermos actually comes apart in three pieces and cleans fine for me. No coffee aftertastes.

As mentioned before I agree this is a great mug for hiking for its light weight and portability. I would actually like to purchase this mug again for moto travel - something I just started doing. But for my style of vehicle camping and coffee drinking the rei thermos is a much better option for me. I was very dissapointed how quickly my coffee cooled in mammoth hence the exchange for the thermos. I couldn't justify an extra 5 bucks for the lid that still may leak. 43 bucks for a mug, 5 bucks for the lid. At nearly 50 bucks for a coffee mug didn't quite do it for me.

So that REI thermos has a 3 pice lid? I will have to check that out. Thanks!

I tried to buy a couple of the Snow Peak double wall mugs a while back - I just couldn't get myself to spend $55 (cost @ Sportsmans Warehouse a couple years ago) on a freekin' coffee cup!!!!

It was a bit easier for me to spend $8 (current price = $10/ea - they were on sale at the Expo) on a double walled stainless mug from Kanz Outdoors at last years Overland Expo. It's a bit smaller than the snow peak mug (Kanz = 10oz), and it may weigh a little more (Kanz mug weight = 3oz), but hey, it saved me $47 per mug.

:coffee:

Yea, it was half fuctional purchase half spontaneous spur of the moment Ineed to go home with something cool from the Overland Rally purchase! So it worked out. The price is deff up there tho. I use it everyday in the house to make up for the cost. Its also nice that I can carry practically boiling water in a cup with no fear of burning my hand.

tradman

Observer
Not impressed with the Snow Peak lids for the double wall mugs. They don't fit very well. I have two and they both fit poorly so I don't think it's a case of me just getting a bad one. It's basically a dribble mug.

I'm going to see if I can put a thicker o-ring on it. The mug itself is great.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior