Chassis paint/coating

BillTex

Adventurer
Friend of mine suggested I paint/coat the chassis of our 06 Duramax pickmeup...
Living in New England, of course we have snow/salt on the roads in the winter...which can wreak havoc on body work.

Anyone painted or coated their chassis and undersides?
Is it worthwhile?

What was the process (power wash, prep, etc).

What should be used for paint/coating?

Used to hear old-timers talk about coating with old motor oil...don't think that would be acceptable now a days!

Tx, Bill

BillTex

Adventurer
You might look into POR-15

POR-15 is a conversion coating. It's great stuff, I have used it for other applications. In this case I am looking for a protective/preventative coating...not repair, as the truck is till pretty clean (as far as rust).

Tx for the suggestion.

Bill

keezer37

Explorer
I've been using DOM 16. Canada's answer to POR 15. It is not a rust converter. Requires little or no prep. Does not smell. And an open can will last for a few months (a little thickening) if you get a plastic wrap seal between the lid and can.

So far so good. You will mangle the lid. This will be the first winter. I can tell you it holds up to jack stands. I've been paying 34 dollars a quart. Three quarts does it for two thin coats.

http://www.dominionsureseal.com/productsdetails.asp?id=372&catid=35

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I am now a huge fan of a product made by Napa called "Rust Converter". It comes in a small white bottle. You paint the stuff on your frame with a brush and let it cure. A second coat can be applied if necessary with another wait period. After the converter is all ready, I refer and wholeheartedly agree with Squatchout's recommendation of BRUSH ON rustoleum pro paint. I did the exact thing I've described on my van's frame 2 years ago, and it still looks new. This is in a Maine winter salt environment with the ocean only being 4 miles away. I'd almost prefer to let your frame rust up a little bit first to make best use of the converter, then do as described, and done.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I used POR-15 on a front bumper I built with new steel. Almost two yeas now it is holding up great. With new steel you have to use their water based products to clean and etch the metal before applying the paint. Easy to do.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I used POR-15 on a front bumper I built with new steel. Almost two yeas now it is holding up great. With new steel you have to use their water based products to clean and etch the metal before applying the paint. Easy to do.
According to the manufacturer, POR-15 isn't UV resistant so you should cover it with something like their chassis paint or another topcoat.

BillTex

Adventurer
After further consideration...I think I will use POR-15. I have used it on the Airstream before and it holds up great.
We are also in New England (snow/salt) and less than 200 yards from the ocean...so yeah, lots of forces plotting against us!
POR-15 it is...

Tx, Bill

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
just remember to wear gloves! :Wow1:

I failed to heed the warning that states "will cause temporary staining"...two weeks later and I'm still wearing POR-15's gothic nail polish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94