where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Bandit9

Observer
Couple of options.

1. Some of the lowering modules allow you to lock out the ride height to run the Cayenne lowered. I'm sure you could lock it out at the higher settings too.

2. When the on board air hose is plugged into the front of the passenger seat it locks out the suspension. Some company on eBay was selling a piece that you could just plug in to the air chuck to do this. Creates an error code on the dash though.

3. Guys have had success with the Durametric scan tool. Reprogramming the ride height to lower the car. Same could be done to raise it.

4. Use adjustable links on the suspension sensors to gain trick it into thinking its at a difference height. They make "lowering links" for this purpose. Just adjust them the other way.

5. Sawzall!!

#1 and #4 are being investigated as possible solutions for the Air Suspension models. A lowering link company said that locking the height in the opposite direction with their links is possible. I will be calling today to speak with a tech instead of a sales rep. I need some hard confirmation.

The lower module also looks to be the same deal, except due to the holidays, haven't been able to get a email response. Hopefully today one of those companies will be back at work so I can call them.

Rockaway

Since you're in Oregon, it might pay you to keep an eye on the Freeman Motors website if you are not already doing so. Obviously, you'll need to thoroughly check out any used car as complicated, and sometimes reliability challenged, as a Cayenne/Touareg, but Freeman Motors more often than not will have one or more reasonable used examples. (None listed now, though.)

Freeman motors was used in this quote as a dealer in the Portland area for Cayenne/touareg vehicles. I can personally second this. Eric freeman is a off road fanatic. They sell wonderful European vehicles. I can't say enough about the professionalism their dealership gives to their clients.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 13060

My new-to-me Cayenne has 134,000 miles on it. I was going to cap the mileage for prospective vehicles at 100K (plenty of nice Cayennes out there with that sort or lower miles) but it looks really, really nice. Clearly the interior has held up better than a comparable Land Rover, for instance, which is my personal point of reference. I haven't had the time to figure out all the quirks but other than sticky sensors on the rear hatch and the parking brake everything works fine.

Oh, and I can't figure out how to reload the travel data into the GPS. East coast is pretty useless for me out here in Texas. Any thoughts? Reading the manual (you MUST get all the manuals for these things!) I get the impression that once the proper data disk is inserted it should read it but that's not happening. Any thoughts?

The "sticky park brake switch" probably isn't the switch. There's a strut (much like a hood strut only it's about 6 inches long) that pushes the pedal back up. More than likely it has died and a simple replacement will fix the sticky problem..... Here's the rub. Porsche doesn't sell the strut, last time I checked, they sell you the assembly. The strut from a Touareg fits (same park brake assembly) and VW will sell you just the strut for about $70. 5 mins tops to change it out.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Doesn't the Cayenne use the same chassis as the Toureg?

Yes and no.

They basically share the frame and floor pan. Many components are interchangeable but not identical. (Some are)

They drive TOTALLY different though. Not just the power, but the handling and application of power is different

Bandit9

Observer
All those options will lift the Air Suspension models, however nothing prevents it from self lowering. Apparently it will still self adjust when it hits those set speeds.

Last edited:

Bandit9

Observer
For the steel spring basic and S Cayenne models, I've found a 30mm/1.25" suspension lift from Germany for over 2,000 Euros. I talked to them to see if they could do taller, like 65-75mm, and they said no. So 1.25" is a start. Actually it would probably be pretty good with 33's since it would stay at that height and not self lower like the Air models. Here is the link:

http://www.seikel.de/en/products/seikel-vw-touareg/

I still think that if one would drop off their steel sprung Cayenne at Icon, Fox, or King for a few weeks, that they would be able to hook it up with something really good at the same price as that Seikel kit. They probably have the right size shock on the shelf, just needs the right mount on each end and a spring made. Could have it valved anyway you want it and it would be rebuild-able every so often instead of having to replace them.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have that spacer lift. Just waiting on the funding to get it installed. I still need to know how to re-calibrate the speedo for larger tires.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've had my Cayenne Turbo for about 6 years now. About half that time has been on the 32s(265/65/18).

These are the tires used on the Transsyberia race Cayennes.

I'm not sure I'd really want to go much bigger. The beauty of the Cayenne is that it does EVERYTHING, and does it FREAKISHLY WELL!! Tows awesome, drives like a real sports car, goes like a super car, and 4 wheels.

By going to bigger tires and messing with the suspension you start to change it into "just another lifted SUV". Sure, it would have more power, but it wouldn't really be any different or better than a Touareg at that point. The off road tires become the limiting factor VERY quickly for cornering, braking and acceleration.

Putting the power aside the real advantages to the Cayenne is the handling, the 66/33 torque split in the tcase, etc.

If you want a true crawler of a 4x4 you may as well start with the Touareg and its 50/50 tcase.

There are definitely days when I wish I were still on the smaller, stickier stock type tires. The BFGs take all the handling fun out of the Cayenne since they are the limiting factor. Just pushes in corners now, lights up all four tires instead of accelerating, and doesn't brake as well.

I've built several crawlers on 37s over 25 years of wheeling. I can't think of any place I would *reasonably* go with a Cayenne that would need anything bigger than 32s. Good driving skills can take you almost anywhere.

Here is mine again as a refresher.

CA_05111319430989-L.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
One thing to remember about the Transsyberia Cayennes is that you don't get much more "expo" than winning (multiple times) a high speed off road race across Russia/Siberia/Mongolia 6,600Km

transsyberia-route-karte.jpg

porsche-cayenne-s-transsyberia-hr-04.jpg

Porsche_Cayenne_2008_Transsyberia_Rally2_1440x900.jpg

porsche_2007-Cayenne-S-Transsyberia-Rally-002_4.jpg

Last edited:

Bandit9

Observer
Cole,
I would have a spare set of low profile street/track tires for when I care about performance. That is why I'm interested in the Cayenne Turbo with Air Suspension in the first place. Ability to do both, and do it well.

Also, I have seen 3 different types of tires they have used. BFG AT, BFG MT, and a Cooper MT of some sort.

I was only planning on a $25k budget for this toy, so this $43k Transsyberia model in Illinois could make someone happy....
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Porsche-Cayenne-Chicago-d410_L7510#listing=101915257

Cole

Expedition Leader
I has two sets of wheels and tires for mine. But even with the 32" on it there are times when its nice to run at the lower setting, even off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles