M1028 CUCV Build

Chief_919

Observer
I am a long time military vehicle junkie, and love CUCV's, so when I decided to build a truck that was the obvious platform.

I looked until I found and M1028. The M1028 was a version of the M1008 that was intended to carry communications shelters in the back. So the 1028 had a beefier rear suspension, it has a factory dually setup on a single rear wheel axle, and it has a track lock in the front Dana 60. Rear is the stock 14 bolt with Detroit Locker.

The truck had belong to a the SC National Guard, then it went to SC State University where it was used by the police department. They slapped an ugly white and black paint job on it and some non stock wheels. The had the glow plug relay explode on them and the wiring fry, instead of fixing it they sold it. A local military truck dealer I know got it and parked it in his junk lot, it has 28,000 miles on it when I drug it out and looked like this:

1028-1.jpg

I cleaned it up, and swapped some factory wheels back on from some M101A2 and M116A2 trailers I was selling, and it looked like this:

cucv2.jpg

Note the chrome rms painted black now on the trailer.:sombrero:

Then a while later I painted it back in a proper military color:

24f496ac-1.jpg

Mods I have done so far:

Manual glow plug control switch. Eliminated the electronic control on my plugs, now I activate them only when needed.

700R4 Transmission swap. I went went a custom built non-lockup 700R4. Now my truck can do highway speeds without killing the engine with its 4.56 gears, and the 700R4 also gives me a lower 1st and 2nd gear. It has greatly increased the driveability.

Homebuilt receiver hitch- since factory hitches won't work with the CUCV shackle mounts, I modified a used Class V hitch I got at the flea market for $15 to work. Pics coming soon.

As you guys may be able to tell by now, I am also a fan of doing things on the cheap.

Future plans:

Front receiver hitch. I have a concept for one that will go on the front shackle mounts.

Reciever mount winch.

1.5" front add a leaf to level the truck

In bed tool box/aux tank combo.

9.00x16 Michelin XS tires (I just had 5, but someone offered me too much money)

Bucket seats from the CUCV ambulance, police style center console for my radio gear.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
The troop carrier and shelter carrier that I've seen looking at these vehicles in DRMO site did not include any visible suspension or axle differences. As I recall, both trucks had a 9,000 pound GVW. The troop carrier had seat mounts in the bed. The shelter carrier had appropriate mounts and power hookups for the heater or radio equipment. I have seen a few, real military Chevy duallies in ambulance and flatbed configuration, mostly air force and navy. There are natural variations in equipment, based on what each service branch ordered. I haven't seen a corporate 14-bolt intended for DRW service on a 4x4 Chevy/GMC platform, even in civvy use.

Congrats on the project. The tan is way better appearing than the school trim.

Last edited:

Chief_919

Observer
The troop carrier and shelter carrier that I've seen looking at these vehicles in DRMO site did not include any visible suspension or axle differences. As I recall, both trucks had a 9,000 pound GVW. The troop carrier had seat mounts in the bed. The shelter carrier had appropriate mounts and power hookups for the heater or radio equipment. I have seen a few, real military Chevy duallies in ambulance and flatbed configuration, mostly air force and navy. There are natural variations in equipment, based on what each service branch ordered. I haven't seen a corporate 14-bolt intended for DRW service on a 4x4 Chevy/GMC platform, even in civvy use.

Congrats on the project. The tan is way better appearing than the school trim.

The M1028 has a heavier rear suspension than the M1008 trucks, they have an overload spring that the standard M1008's do not. Some units have added the overloads to the 1008's as a field mod, but it is not stock. It is the same overload spring that GM put on the DRW civilian trucks.

M1031's (the contact truck) and M1028's have a limited slip in the front axle, M1008's have an open differential.

Mine is a standard M1028. The M10028A1 is a SRW M1028 with an NP205 transfer case with a PTO for running an generator.

The DRW trucks were M1028A2's and M1028A3's, and 90% were converted to that standard from SRW trim after they entered service. GM provided the kits that included a new rear axle (Dana 70), fender extensions, and DRW front hubs. If the truck converted was an M1028, the converted truck was an M1028A2, if it started as an M1028A1 it became an M1028A3. Oddly some of the Dana 70's had lockers, some were open, and it appears random what trucks got what.

Not all 1008's had troop seats. M1008A1's came from the factory with a rear rack for mounting radios, antenna mounts, and 24v wiring to the rear to run radios. I have also seen units install troop seats on M1028's (mine had had them installed at one point), and units install shelter mounts on M1008's, so you can't use the presence or absence of them to tell what version it is.

Rot Box

Explorer
Awesome :bike_rider:

Having the (what I believe to be) the detroit true-tac gear driven limited slip up front and the 205 t-case makes this truck pretty desirable compared to other CUCV's. Honestly one of the toughest pickup trucks ever built imo :drool:

Can't wait to see what you do with it. Have you considered a turbocharger?

Chief_919

Observer
Awesome :bike_rider:

Having the (what I believe to be) the detroit true-tac gear driven limited slip up front and the 205 t-case makes this truck pretty desirable compared to other CUCV's. Honestly one of the toughest pickup trucks ever built imo :drool:

Can't wait to see what you do with it. Have you considered a turbocharger?

As an M1028 mine has the 208. It isn't as strong as the 205, but has a lower low range.

I have a complete 6.5 turbo sitting in a box....

clandr1

Adventurer
I love this era GM truck & SUV. But, I was curious when you mentioned a "non-lockup 700R4". Can you elaborate? I have a 700R4 in my Jimmy and I'm not familiar with what you're referring to.

Chief_919

Observer
I love this era GM truck & SUV. But, I was curious when you mentioned a "non-lockup 700R4". Can you elaborate? I have a 700R4 in my Jimmy and I'm not familiar with what you're referring to.

The torque converter in the 700R4 in stock form locks up in OD after a certain RPM, providing a direct drive. It is an electric circuit that provides the control and unlocks it when you hit the brakes.

You can use a torque converter that does not lockup if you buy the right converter and modify the transmission so that the fluid flows properly. Your disadvantages will be slightly higher cruising RPM in 4th gear and slightly higher temps (but my cooler more than takes care of this), your advantages are that it is simpler (no wiring to mess with or have brush rip out) and you get more torque multiplication at 4th gear all the time. The stock 6.2 isn't exactly a powerhouse, so that extra helps when cruising at highway speeds here in hill country. I have driven them both ways and prefer the non-lockup.

Chief_919

Observer
Welcome to the club. I daily drive a 1028 on 9.00 r 16's with a FWC in the back.

I'm sure you are aware of it, but http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/ is a great site.
Search first before posting any questions.

I am a regular on SS.

Do you have any lift with the 9.00x16's? What kind are you running? I had 5 Michelin XS's I was going to run, but somebody came by and offered me too much money for them. I may find some more.

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
Fits fine stock with just a tiny bit of front fender trimming. I like to keep my COG as low as possible, especially with the camper in the back.

Not a fan of the XS's, but I'd love to get my hands on some XZL's.

clandr1

Adventurer
The torque converter in the 700R4 in stock form locks up in OD after a certain RPM, providing a direct drive. It is an electric circuit that provides the control and unlocks it when you hit the brakes.

You can use a torque converter that does not lockup if you buy the right converter and modify the transmission so that the fluid flows properly. Your disadvantages will be slightly higher cruising RPM in 4th gear and slightly higher temps (but my cooler more than takes care of this), your advantages are that it is simpler (no wiring to mess with or have brush rip out) and you get more torque multiplication at 4th gear all the time. The stock 6.2 isn't exactly a powerhouse, so that extra helps when cruising at highway speeds here in hill country. I have driven them both ways and prefer the non-lockup.

Thanks for the info Chef. I've been debating doing a regear to 4.10's to keep the truck from hunting in and out of OD, but the torque converter mod might be a better solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz