Sprinter 4x4 in USA: White Feather Conversions

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks to forum member haf-e for mentioning this company.

Whitefeather Conversions is a company in Red Bluff, CA that has developed a 4x4 conversion for the current Sprinter (2007+). The conversion includes:
-- dana 60 front axle, mounted on coil springs
-- wider than stock axles front and rear
-- Bilstein shocks front, adjustable Rancho shocks rear
-- two speed transfer case
-- new subframe to tie the engine, transmission, transfer case and front axle together
-- subframe has provision for front-mounted winch
-- 4.5 inch suspension lift
-- larger sway bars front and rear
-- 17 inch alloy or steel wheels
-- all-terrain tires with higher load rating
-- larger brake rotors
-- manual locking hubs standard
-- optional air locker or limited slip front differential

According to Whitefeather, the conversion does not affect the factory warranty. The Sprinter's electronic monitoring system remains intact. The new parts are covered by Whitefeather's 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

Estimated cost of the conversion is $21,000 for a Sprinter 2500, $24,000 for the Sprinter 3500 with dual rear wheels. The company also offers a 6x6 conversion of the Sprinter cab and chassis, price $39,000. The conversion takes about 4 weeks.

magazine article here http://www.sprinter-rv.com/2011/05/20/4x4-sprinters-here-at-last/
The company web site, with limited information, here http://www.whitefeatherconversions.com

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It'll be great if this all works out. There have been difficult-to-solve issues with previous conversion attempts and there'll be a lot of us looking forward to more information and reports from the first set of owners.

According to Whitefeather, the conversion does not affect the factory warranty.
It's a pretty aggressive modification. Once a significant repair situation comes up, it'll be interesting to see if MBz representatives share that view. The company has, to date, pretty much done what it could to discourage any 4WD conversions of the NAFTA vans.

cwsqbm

Explorer
It's a pretty aggressive modification. Once a significant repair situation comes up, it'll be interesting to see if MBz representatives share that view. The company has, to date, pretty much done what it could to discourage any 4WD conversions of the NAFTA vans.

Reading the website, it sounds like White Feather is just quoting the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, that basically states that a warranty can't be denied on a part not affected by a vehicle modification. That act protects anyone, just not them, so I doubt MBz has looked at this van in particular.

The other interesting point is their claim that they are DOT complaint but a factory-converted van wouldn't be. That's because a third-party converter doesn't have to follow the same rules as a factory-supplied van (like crash testing). I'd assume that MBz's discouragement stems from American's litigious nature.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Reading the website, it sounds like White Feather is just quoting the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, that basically states that a warranty can't be denied on a part not affected by a vehicle modification. That act protects anyone, just not them, so I doubt MBz has looked at this van in particular.
That's my take on it as well, and I'm pretty sure that there won't be any firm information until a relevant situation arises.

Magnuson-Moss has a clause that says that the federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a product was caused by unreasonable use. Given Mercedes's general hostility to the converters, one wonders if they'd be tempted to claim that four-wheeling a vehicle they've worked hard to keep two-wheel drive was "unreasonable use" and thus excused them from all manner of warranty responsibilities. Additionally, they might try something along the lines of "look how much more stress is on the engine with that extra axle and the big tires; it's not our fault the crankshaft snapped."

That said, I wouldn't think worries about potential warranty coverage should keep a North American who wants a 4WD Sprinter from investigating any and all alternatives. The conversion's cost, and the difficulties of providing adequate trail protection for a vehicle that has very modest aftermarket support (check sprinterstore.com to see what's readily available), seem much bigger issues.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
There is a whitefeather converted sprinter 4x4 at the Freightliner dealer in Salt Lake City, sitting outside on a pile of rocks for display. I snapped some close up pictures. I was definitely impressed with the conversion. It is tall but has sway bars. I'm sure it does not handle anything close to how it was originally designed to in 2WD, but it was impressive and would be a great capable van. The front suspension is Dana 60 with locking hubs and a radius-arm style suspension, similar to a '90-97 Land Cruiser or a Ford van. All 4WD vans other than the factory AWD Chevy express are conversions, as far as I am aware. Some are high volume converters, similar to how Winnebago and Westfalia modify vehicles to campers in practice...

http://andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com/Cars/4WD-Sprinter/26939048_STn2S8

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I added pics including exterior shots. Very impressive to me...

016-XL.jpg

bjm206

Adventurer
From the images it appears they adapted a Ford Super Duty front coil spring suspension to the sprinter chassis.

Happykamper

Explorer
Just a heads up. This company can and will take on anything. There going to put a 4wd under my 2001 chinook destiny plus a swing away kayak rack on the back. Sliders that double as air tanks.
The owner does not know the meaning of the word "no" .
You will be impressed .

April 1 was daaays ago... my neighbor with a welder doesn't say "no" either, but then he doesn't promise full warranty on his irrigation line repairs...

Just a heads up. This company can and will take on anything. There going to put a 4wd under my 2001 chinook destiny plus a swing away kayak rack on the back. Sliders that double as air tanks.
You will be impressed .

parkkitchings

Adventurer
You will be impressed .

I just recently bought a Chinook and over the years I've done quite a bit of four wheeling in my Taco with a FWC but for the life of me I can't see four wheeling with a Chinook. I just don't get it. Maybe it's just "cool" to have four wheel drive regardless of what you're driving. Chinooks are great rigs but they're heavy, tall and not a lot of ground clearance. If you were to bury that beast in some remote backcountry.....god help you extracting it. I take mine down forest service and gravel roads but four wheeling it? I'll pass and save myself a butt load of money along with a lot of aggravation when it's buried up to its axle or hung up on some rock. I'll bet he'll know the meaning of "NO" when you ask him to dig that beast out from somewhere. Just saying......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior