Truck Cab & Camper Shell Roof Baskets & Rack Setups?

wilderness

Adventurer
What are your setups? I like this one? Does anyone know if one like this could be used to hold a Kayak or Canoe? Defender the company that makes this one does make longer bolt together ones that are made for vans. Im wondering if one of those could be used on a truck camper shell/cab....
DSC_1262.jpg

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/oru...asp?year=2002&make=Toyota&model=TACOMA&rack=0

chasespeed

Explorer
A full length one on a p/u truck tough... there is a lot of flex in the frame, the cab and bed twist independently. Depending on the configuration of the truck, I would attach the rack to the longest part, be it cab or bed/cap.... and mount the kayak to that...

Chase

robert

Expedition Leader
Agreed, there is way too much flex between the bed and the cab- you'd end up ripping something loose. I've seen racks mounted on the cab and the shell, racks on one or the other and then ladder rack styles mounted on the bed walls that extend over the cab. As for mounting a rack to your camper shell it's entirely possible depending on the type of shell, where you mount it to the shell and how much weight you intend to carry. I've got a Yakima rail rider system with 66" bars on my ARE shell and I've carried several boats up there at a time with no issues.

The key is to get a decent shell that's rated to carry extra weight then properly mounting it. A lot of the shells out there these days use a honeycomb material in the center- you do not want to drill through that as you can't get your fasteners tight without damaging it. Also, don't put too much weight or anything that's going to cause too much updraft; when carrying canoes I always run bow lines to the ARB bumper so any upward force is on the bumper, not the rack. Remember that any weight up high negatively effects your center of gravity too (and anything up there negatively impacts your fuel economy).

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Yakima bars and towers on bolt on drip rail brackets. Roof basket, bike trays on each side with shovel mounted to basket. Leer topper.
IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

bat

Explorer
This is what I did on my trucks one extends over the cab and on my Tacoma is just built a 2 rack system.
rack1 00003 (Medium).JPG
rack1 00009 (Medium).JPG
001.JPG

DesertBoater

Adventurer
What are the pros and cons to having one like this?

DSCF1205.jpg

This is exactly what i've got going on, except that the truck is an 05. The plus, is that it bolts straight into the frame of the truck (the 05 bed is composite and thus no good at large loads on the frame rails.) I don't yet have a flooring material up there, but I'm working on it. I use it mostly for kayaks, bikes, and a Thule box while traveling and lumber while working...so the floor isn't horribly necessary. I've run just a set of Thule bars on the topper, however I was always worried about the load up there (usually 1-2 sea kayaks, 2 whitewater kayaks, 2 bikes, and some random schnadel.) I eventually noticed cracking in the two vertical bed-supports on the rear ends with the Thule bars, and have thus switched to the ladder rack.

Hope that helps,
West

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Snugtop Snugpro with Bajarack...

All,

I am currently working with Bajarack about a custom rack system for my 2011 Tundra. I recently purchased a Snugtop Snugpro shell, and I love the utility of the door option on both sides. I just finished up a custom cabinet system that I just got sprayed with Ameraguard bed coating.

300126523_photobucket_6012_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_6002_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_6013_.jpg

The Bajarack will have a lower profile than their Mule or Megamule offerings. It will have the same profile as this 5th generation 4runner rack here.

AES20420Runner20015.jpg

AES20420Runner20025.jpg

Bajarack will make custom feet to fit into this track system. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress...

Regards,

BWJ

robert

Expedition Leader
I thought about using the artificial rain gutters (I have an extra set of them) but decided the tracks would better disperse the weight. I worried about the artificial gutters being above the windows since I figured that would be a weaker area- I'm definitely no engineer though so I could be totally off base. IIRC, ARE says the shell is rated at 200#s. I know I've put two kayaks, a canoe and a mountain bike up there with no issues; I've had various combinations of boats and a loaded Yakima Space Booster as well as a load of 2x4s up there too. My usual load is just one or two kayaks though. I most definitely wouldn't try anything like a RTT.

The composite beds on the new gen Taocs have started to show some issues with spreading according to some of the forums so I try to limit the weight up top.

wilderness

Adventurer
Yakima Load Warrior, Yakima accessories for all the tools and tire rack.

DSCF1051.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF1138-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Is that the Yakima Megawarrior on the camper shell? Is it mounted to shell with raingutter mounts or is it mounted to tracks on the roof? Is that as low to the roof as possible? If I were to get that I would want a smaller gap between the roof so it doesnt sit up so high.

I thought about using the artificial rain gutters (I have an extra set of them) but decided the tracks would better disperse the weight. I worried about the artificial gutters being above the windows since I figured that would be a weaker area- I'm definitely no engineer though so I could be totally off base. IIRC, ARE says the shell is rated at 200#s. I know I've put two kayaks, a canoe and a mountain bike up there with no issues; I've had various combinations of boats and a loaded Yakima Space Booster as well as a load of 2x4s up there too. My usual load is just one or two kayaks though. I most definitely wouldn't try anything like a RTT.

The composite beds on the new gen Taocs have started to show some issues with spreading according to some of the forums so I try to limit the weight up top.

Are you talking about using tracks like these?
http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/permanent-installation/tracks54-w-plusnuts

Texan1983

Adventurer
yakma rails and load bars with home built basket on my ARE topper. i had a good amount of weight up there and the topper took it well off road. fuel milage was affected.

photobucket-97412-1338607590387.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles