Edgestar fp430 question ??????

mohamjordan

I just bought my edgestar 43 and it works fine on 110 and also 12volts with engine off for 24 hours with out issues. The problem I am having is I get this stupid yellow blinking light Labeled "low" when the engine is on. As soon as the voltage goes above 13.8 at the socket with the fridge on and recycling it starts blinking yellow light.

Any Ideas ?????

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Flashing yellow light means undervolt (10.4 on a 12v circuit and 22.5 on a 24v circuit) according to the manual.
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aab...pdf/ownersmanuals/edgestar/EdgeStar_FP860.pdf

Not sure why your getting it with the engine running though. But 13.8 at the socket doesn't mean you can actually get 13.8v at the current the fridge wants to pull when the compressor kicks in. Personally I'd check all the connections (inside the fridge as well since a few have found bad connections behind the place) and measure amps at the same time as volts when you get the issue.
Are you seeing 13.8v at the socket with the fridge plugged in? If you are measuring it with the fridge disconnected, then I'd try to wire up a meeter with the fridge connected. if you see the voltage drop below 11v when the fridge tries to turn on the compressor, then you have a load issue in the wiring, if not I'm at a loss.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Do you plug it in differently when the engine is running? I had a similar problem when I tried to use a 12v extension that was only rated at like 5 amps - compressor wouldn't turn on.

mohamjordan

Thanks for the reply's and sorry to pick your brains guys but i have no choice. While the engine is OFF it works perfect and I tested it for up to 28 hours and still had juice to start the engine. I have two new 100a/ah batteries manually connected together.After i start the engine I plugged the voltmeter at the fridge cable and while the fridge is ON and compressor recycling the voltage starts to climb from 12.5 (when engine is off) and up until it passes 13.8 the yellow low light starts blinking but the voltage continues to climb until it stabilizes at around 14.1. These measurements where taken while engine is ON and all car accessories OFF "lights radio ect..... I wired the new socket direct using 6mm wire from one of the batteries to a fuse box with 10 amp fuse inside the truck and to the fridge socket. what adds to the confusion is I turned ON all accessories (lights , heater,,,,ect) and as soon as the voltage drops below 13.8 the yellow light stop blinking as of it doesn't like higher voltage.

Confused..............

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Sounds like the yellow light also does over volt as well as undervolt. But 14.1 is not over volts, I'd call the manufacturer and try to get a new unit. The voltage min to max is set by resistors from reading another thread. So let's say correct voltage is between 10.4v & 16v. If your unit does not have this correct, it could be 8.4v to 14v, so when your unit sees 14.1v it thinks it's over volt. You could test this idea by letting it drain one battery, if the compressor kicks in (and no yellow light) when the battery volt is 10.4v or lower, you the max/min voltage readings in the fridge are wrong.

mohamjordan

Sheep Shagger, I think your diagnoses is dead on. I let it run since yesterday with only one battery. This morning I checked back on it and the fridge maintained the 0 degrees with yellow light is still OFF but the battery voltage is 9.8 which will not start the truck.
Too bad i can't return it since i ordered it from out of the country. So I'll have to research for the transistor thread . I wish i can just remove this voltage warning thing all to gather.

live and learn i know its too late to say I should've bought an Engel........

mohamjordan

just an update on the temporary fix for my edgestar. I installed a 12v to 24 volt converter which actually puts out a stable 22.6 volts and the fridge seems to like that. So while driving and for short stops I'll keep it plugged to the converter and plug it to the 12volt socket when i settle for camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior