'89 GMC Suburban restoration/build up project.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Not a major update but my big box of door seals showed up from classic parts on Friday. I was busy all weekend so I got to it today. I got the rear doors and the drivers door seals replaced. They're good quality stuff, fit just about perfectly. They're just stiff, you have to kinda slam the doors now but I imagine they'll break in and flatten out some after a few weeks of keeping the doors shut.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Loving it so far! Wish I had the $$ and time to do that!
Scott

hell i wish i had the money for a newer 4x4 cummins like yours haha! thats kind of what sparked the project on the suburban, i cant afford two car payments and i'm too far uside down in my car to trade it in. so for less than another car payment, i'm working on getting my suburban back in action.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
i'm more or less done with the interior. i'm happy to say that, i'm a heavy equipment/truck mechanic for a reason, i hate light, flimsy, interior work. so all the door seals are done, i replaced the dash speakers while i was in there, might as well. i'll replace the rear speakers next, no amps, subs or anything fancy, just replacement speakers and a nicer deck. so next i'll replace the stock rear speakers and be done with it.

just a warning to anyone else working on restoring an old GM truck. simple green will take the white lettering/lines off the OEM gauges!

new vs old
d5c80d45.jpg

407cdc90.jpg

22yr old delco vs brand new kenwood
6c9b74cd.jpg

they drop right into the stock mounts.
22ad1da0.jpg

also got new (reproduction) door strap covers.
2977b269.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
thanks man, they are awesome trucks!

i've got good news and bad news regarding the suburban today.

bad:
it doesn't look like i'll be getting a 5.3L after all. my mother in law was going to buy me the engine, this came as a shock to me when she originally offered it so i was always skeptical about it actually happening. now all of a sudden she doesn't have the money. so i'm gonna rebuild the old TBI engine. i think my wife was more upset about it than me, going on about it not being the engine i want, etc. i told her i'll be fine and i just want my truck running. i didn't want to tell her that i never really counted on her mom to come through for me. anyway, its in the past and i'm moving forward, even a 200hp engine is better than no engine.

good:
today i made some custom, one (or two actually) of a kind parts for my suburban. i wasn't happy with the idea of grafting in some extra upholstery or having gaps around a new speaker in the back of my truck. ive only seen the upholstery graft turn out nice one time and even that would bug me. so i made some adapter plates to fit two 3.5"s into each old 4x10 hole. i know the gun-ho car audio guys are gonna say its a bad idea but it'll look nice and i figure it's gotta sound better than 22yr old 4x10"s. if i find myself needing more i'll build a speaker box to fit under the stock spare tire cover and house a small amp and a pair of 8" or a single 10" sub in there. i'm not at all a big car audio guy, i just want the ability to listen to music while i'm going down the road. as soon as i'm off road the music goes off anyway.

the template, an outline of the old 4x10"
33f32613.jpg

the old dash speakers installed for test fit
123b45df.jpg

5b26f11c.jpg

depth comparison
b378ae05.jpg

once they're painted black (paint is drying right now) and i get black hardware, you'll never know what's in there.
fbb5c701.jpg

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
The speakers turned out fine, and you're right about the sound.

I'm with you on the motor, you can get a 5.3 down the road.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
My parts burb is a 89. let me know if you need any other interior pieces.

I'M relatively close to you (south). PM me for details or any pieces your looking for.

I might have my ford sold. so I will probably keep my burb now. I was actually just in vegas today looking at a burb with a blown engine. I would like to get a nicer body and swap most of my parts over. The CL seller misrepresented the body to me so I drove 160 miles RT for nuthing.

what size rims were on yours? or did you paint them when you put the h1tires on it?

dieselfuel

Adventurer
just in case anyone has been wondering, the suburban is just waiting on funds right now. i'm getting a TBI454 for it here in a month or so. then one day when i get a new daily driver, my '99 chevy C2500 will be donating its Vortec 5.7l and 4L80E trans to the suburban. it'll be nice to have OD in the sub, if i can manage 14-16mpg or so on the highway i'd probably drive it a lot! anyway, just figured i'd throw that out there.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
damn it's been a while. i'm collecting parts at the moment. i started a new job a month ago now and ive got a company truck as a daily driver. so the TBI454 idea is no more and i'm yanking the '99 Vortec 350/4L80E out of my chevy pickup. ive got a DRW dana60 that i'm rebuilding for the suburban. ive got crossover steering parts ordered, gotta get some hummer beadlocks and throw everything under the truck. then i'll rebuild the engine and trans from the chevy to stick them into the suburban.

b8999d63.jpg

ive also been slowly working on the body. the junk GM primer needs to be stripped to bare metal so ive been sanding my *** off.

DSCN0115.jpg

Last edited:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Looking pretty good! I am looking to buy a K2500 from 88-91 and have been finding quite a few. I am pretty excited.....been saving money and hope fully will have it by July or August, then the Dodge and 500 monthly payment go bye-bye. No mas dinero for me going out the door to some ************ bankers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz