'89 GMC Suburban restoration/build up project.

Calplaya

Adventurer
You have a gorgeous, rust free burban there! I am officially jealous haha! Wish mine was in as good of condition. I cant wait to see what you do with it, it sounds like we have similar ideas for our 89s, mines going a lot slower then i would like, but I will be intently watching your build for sure! maybe I can learn a thing or two from watching you if you beat me to the sleeping/storage platform. Good luck on your build! I love the 5.3L, my dad has that in his 01 Tahoe, it has 230k miles on it and has superb power and is one of the most reliable vehicles he has ever had. Almost as reliable as my 3800 Bonneville I had. But they are torquey engines too, I love them! Keep us posted as you work :)

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Keep us posted!!! Interior looks good as well. My one question....why did it sit for six years?

it sat for 6yrs while i went to college and then bought, wheeled and sold a few other rigs. i was mostly concerned with rock crawling so the suburban didn't really do anything for me. i could never quite bring myself to sell it but at the same time, never wanted to take the time to build it right. now that its in my driveway and i see it everyday, its a good motivation to keep moving on it. and as soon as i get something else as a second vehicle i'm tearing apart my '99 chevy and its donating its engine/trans to the suburban.

You have a gorgeous, rust free burban there! I am officially jealous haha! Wish mine was in as good of condition. I cant wait to see what you do with it, it sounds like we have similar ideas for our 89s, mines going a lot slower then i would like, but I will be intently watching your build for sure! maybe I can learn a thing or two from watching you if you beat me to the sleeping/storage platform. Good luck on your build! I love the 5.3L, my dad has that in his 01 Tahoe, it has 230k miles on it and has superb power and is one of the most reliable vehicles he has ever had. Almost as reliable as my 3800 Bonneville I had. But they are torquey engines too, I love them! Keep us posted as you work :)

thanks man, as mentioned above, i could never bring myself to sell it, being rust/dent free made it hard to let go. i'm really looking forward to it running and being able to do smaller projects like a platform, barn door mounted tables and a roof rack. i doubt it'll get a 5.3L now, ive got a '99 chevy C2500 sitting in the driveway that i paid $600 for. its got a vortec 5.7L and a 4L80E trans that after a quick rebuild will make a nice reliable, damn near free drivetrain for the suburban.

Joanne

Adventurer
Neat Suburban! They aren't compact, but you can certainly go most places and haul a ton of gear along with you. I'm going to start getting serious about rebuilding my '72 Blazer. It isn't rust free so it's going to be a lot of extra work (I mean $$$$). None the less, I love the 1st gen blazers and want to get this one put together. My dad had one and it was the first vehicle I ever drove.

When I saw the pictures you posted up I was thinking how much it looked like Vegas, then I looked at your city. :)

Anyway, good luck on your build up! It looks like you've got a great start.

Joanne

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Neat Suburban! They aren't compact, but you can certainly go most places and haul a ton of gear along with you. I'm going to start getting serious about rebuilding my '72 Blazer. It isn't rust free so it's going to be a lot of extra work (I mean $$$$). None the less, I love the 1st gen blazers and want to get this one put together. My dad had one and it was the first vehicle I ever drove.

When I saw the pictures you posted up I was thinking how much it looked like Vegas, then I looked at your city. :)

Anyway, good luck on your build up! It looks like you've got a great start.

Joanne

this was actually my first vehicle, i learned how to drive in my suburban.

i got some work done on my Dana60 the other day. installed hubs, WFO crossover steering arm/cap and repacked the bearings. ive got to cut off the old shock mounts and weld on the new ones, fabricate a drag link and tie rod and replace the wheel studs. i've also got new upper shock mounts to install, i need to cut a bunch of parts off the frame and possible re rout some brake lines to do that. still not positive i'll even go through with that, there's nothing wrong with the stock shock upper/lower shock mounts i guess. ive got to get a 2wd steering box and pitman arm also. damn, its kinda depressing when i list it all out like that. i need some pictures to cheer me up.

DSCN0967.jpg

DSCN0968.jpg

DSCN0969.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking:Wow1:front axle Diesel! I cant wait to see pics of your truck with that puppy mounted up front.:)

dieselfuel

Adventurer
no real build progress to post, been collecting parts and working a ton, leaving little/no build time. haven't gotten the 60 done but i did get an engine/trans to throw into it. ive got a '99 chevy C2500 that i paid $600 for, which is donating its vortec 5.7L and 4L80E to the suburban, backed up by a divorced mount NP205. still trying to find the NP205, ford 205s are common as hell, dodge/international ones (passenger drop) are considerably harder to find.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
I tore the Chevy apart, kept every inch of wiring, the ECM, the engine and trans. The engine is torn down, the heads are at a machine shop, trans is at a shop getting rebuilt, I've been painting chassis/suspension parts and getting ready to install the axle and a bunch of other ****.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368591830.447374.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368591856.317452.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
damn, this hasn't been updated in a while...

lots of progress made, and a few changes along the way as well.

i got the Dana 60, steering, brakes, steering braces (weld in and bolt on), crossmember, ORD upper shackle kit installed.

e7amyzup_zps0d38bf1d.jpg

gyvydetu_zpsa34d9a94.jpg

null_zps1c862a03.jpg

i cut and machined the DRW (dually) hubs to make the SRW (dingle rear wheel) hubs.
null_zps4ac25881.jpg

he7y5u2u_zpsd22aa7bb.jpg

jy8y6yhe_zps4b19d559.jpg

i pulled the 14 bolt and cleaned it up.
null_zpsfe8d6194.jpg

installed disc brakes, a DIY4x shackle flip with custom made 6" shackles and spring bushings.
null_zpsa1cd1c8e.jpg

then i bought this from BD Turnkey Engines (www.bdturnkeyengines.com)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqwgj8qth5hongr/Ultrasound 3GNEC12T64G319311.mp4

e6eraju3_zpsc898e984.jpg

some ceramic coated hooker headers
y6avuzaz_zps80a82778.jpg

they clear everything great and i got some MSD wires and heat socks to go with them.
6yqu5yju_zpsfe7e5900.jpg

mounted the throttle (engine is drive by wire)
ehy7u4e2_zpse29f629b.jpg

the engine in its happy new home.
zu8adu6u_zps59de7504.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
today i got the engine/trans/case set at the angle i need and got the transfer case mocked up so the adapter can be welded.

I've got the case clocked up enough that i only hangs below the frame 2" and i've got room to remove the 2" body lift still.
B67A6BFD-E365-4A08-86F6-5FC0F6DE9421_zpsjgdl02ju.jpg

F0F21FF8-AD47-4827-8F51-DBF60F482409_zpsgdl9rgbs.jpg

it's an "infinitely clockable" GM transfer case adapter from Trail tech fab on pirate4x4.com
E97A1146-5838-45DA-A0FC-E875948A7453_zpsprirpuvn.jpg

i also got some wiring cleaned up and painted/installed the front inner fenders. in another week i'll order up a new dash with a set of auto meter gauges from classic dash. while a friend of mine (electronic guru) is wiring all of that in i'll be making fuel lines, power steering lines, heater hoses, etc...

arrover

Yes, please keep the updates coming. This thing is awesome! I especially want to see the Classic Dash set-up. I think they have at least three different gauge panels styles for the 73-91 trucks and I haven't seen enough pictures of them.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Nothing new to update, the t-case adapter is at my friend's shop waiting to be welded, gauges are ordered and I'll be working on an PCM mount this weekend.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94