Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia in an 87 4Runner.

Talking Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia in an 87 4Runner.

Howdy folks! Figured it was about time to get this thread going. After saving and planning this trip for the past 3 years, Lauren and I are set to leave TODAY for the first leg of our Pan-American journey.

We are leaving from San Francisco to travel back to our home-state of Florida to say adios to our family and friends, from there we will trek back to Texas and cross the border into Mexico. DESTINATION: USHUAIA, ARGENTINA

We have no set plans, No real set destination other than getting to the bottom. Our timeline for the trip is at least 1 year. We are planning to extend the trip by hooking up with volunteer organizations, couchsurfing, and house-sitting when possible. We have modified my 87 4Runner into a quasi-camper with most of the luxuries of home. ie: Bed, Stove, Shower, 110v etc.

The truck is fitted to tackle some serious off-roading, we look forward to exploring tons of backroads and trails all up and down Central/South America. Any suggestions on places to go, people to see, beers to drink will be appreciated!

I am still waiting to pick up our truck from the 4x4 shop today where they are mounting a rear-swingout for 2 jerry cans, Our lease is up and my last day of work was yesterday so we are OUTTA HERE as soon as we get the truck.

We are going to take about 2 weeks or so to drive from Northern California to Florida. Lauren has never seen much of Utah, Nevada, Colorado so I believe we will be journeying that way. We plan to just look at the atlas and pick out national/state parks/monuments/forests to camp at along the way. Again we are open to ANYTHING so throw up your suggestions.

SO EXCITED!!!

Here is our blog with more information, feel free to subscribe and follow us on the facebook

http://homeonthehighway.com

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by defrag4; 11-01-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    1987 4Runner 4x4- 22RE, 5Spd
    Currently traveling the Pan-American Highway!

Congratulations! Keep us posted along the way, be careful and enjoy!

Yes!

I am looking forward to following along. I think your plan is a good plan. The places I have enjoyed the most have been recommended by locals or other people and not chosen out of a guidebook.
    Off-Road Adventures in New England: ExploringNH

Good luck on your trip! Safe travels! Look forward to your updates!

Is there a thread on here as far as prep for the trip, vehicle build etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
    Good luck on your trip! Safe travels! Look forward to your updates!

Is there a thread on here as far as prep for the trip, vehicle build etc?
    THanks bud, Here is my thread from when I got the truck up until now, Im actually at the 4x4 shop right now putting the finishing touches on. Ill have more updates soon

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-SR5-22RE-5spd
    1987 4Runner 4x4- 22RE, 5Spd
    Currently traveling the Pan-American Highway!

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader
    defrag4, Thanks for your detailed vehicle prep writup. Now that you're on the road, I hope you'll remind us to check your blog periodically so we can follow your adventures.

Will you be traveling through North Texas?

¡Buen Viaje!

If you do Baja don't miss Playa Tecalote outside of La Paz. It was described to us as a "real life Corona commercial" and didn't disappoint.

It's free boondocking and described in the Church's camping guide
    Logan and Brianna,
    PanAmNotes.com

Looking forward to following your progress.

Looking forward to the awesome write-ups.

I've got two suggestions for things to see: me and me catching a redfish in Mosquito Lagoon.

I'll see if I can find another chauffeur for you...

Safe travels bud.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast