San Francisco to Ushuaia in an 87 4Runner.

Soobarubin

Observer
I'm SO looking forward to reading this thread, subscribed for sure! I'm planning the same trip with the same truck, only I'm headed North from Idaho!
Keep up with the pictures please! :)

-Jaren

defrag4

Road Warrior
Alrighty, found a dealer in St. George, Utah that ordered me the t-stat going to check everything out here today, if we look good I am planning to drive the Tuweep trail down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then head back to St. George to pick up the part tomorrow.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Alrighty, found a dealer in St. George, Utah that ordered me the t-stat going to check everything out here today, if we look good I am planning to drive the Tuweep trail down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then head back to St. George to pick up the part tomorrow.
It's been ages since I've been thru St. George, but for some reason I always thought of it being the real-life location for Joe Dirt's "Silvertown"...

Keep it up! Glad to hear you guys are hitting up the North Rim, looking forward to seeing more.

defrag4

Road Warrior
Dual-stage T-stat fixed the overheating issue right up, Sorry to the St. George NAPA for spilling 1/2 gallon of coolant on your lot! Took 90-miles of backroads to Toroweap overlook on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, camped there last night and woke up to epic views of the canyon. Just got to Zion N.P. its dark but the moon is full and illuminating giant canyon walls all around us, cant wait till sunrise!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
It really sounds like you guys are enjoying the drive and dealing well with the issues of life on the road.
Thanks for taking the time to update us along the way.

Some friends and I will be traveling through MX, GT, and BZ for a few weeks starting next month. I'll keep an eye on your travels. We'd love to link up with you guys while we're down there.

You're an inspiration! Congrats on getting started. Wish you well, friends.

Wes

defrag4

Road Warrior
The Colorado Plateau is a geographic region of the U.S which covers over 130,000 sq miles of land shared between Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado. This area has the greatest concentration of National Parks in the U.S and it is easy to see why. Developed over billions of years and uplifted and modified by faults and receding oceans this area is chock full of geological, ecological, and historical splendor. We had a blast.

Leaving Las Vegas!
IMG_1917.jpg

Our night in Vegas was spent mostly holed up in our room enjoying the HEAT! and updating the blog. We did make it down for a few drinks and some midway games at Circus Circus

Lauren won a Rhino, He got some free drinks
IMG_1923.jpg

Headed up to St. George, Utah and camped off some forest road.

Our first taste of red dirt
IMG_1928_thumb1.jpg

Snow Canyon State Park, St. George Utah
IMG_1954_thumb1.jpg

Since leaving the Bay, we have been having overheating issues, the thermostat on the truck has been malfunctioning. I had read about this issue in the past happening with your standard Autozone thermostats and knew it was fixed by getting the expensive Toyota OEM dual-stage thermostat.

$45 later and 1/2 gallon of coolant onto the NAPA parking lot and we were fixed up, issue solved, no more overheating.

Off to the Grand Canyon! We read about a 90-mile backroad from St. George to a remote area of the Grand Canyon National Park called the “Toroweap Overlook”. Talked to a few people in town who said that it would be snowed and we would not be able to make it up and over the Mount Trumball pass. We’re used to naysayers and of course headed off anyway, the 4runner could make it.

Sunset on the Toroweap Rd.
IMG_1983_thumb1.jpg

IMG_1994_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2001_thumb1.jpg

Nightfall hit by the time we made up to the mountain pass, It was covered in snow and mud, I had a blast mashing through it all in 2 wheel drive, slipping and sliding all over the place and making a big ol’ mess of the truck.

IMG_2020_thumb6.jpg

IMG_2030_thumb1.jpg

Eventually made it to the campground, setup shop and went to sleep. Awoke in the morning completely alone and surrounded by the majesty of the red rocks and Grand Canyon.
IMG_2034_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2042_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2043_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2060_thumb1.jpg

Headed out on a hike to the Toroweap Overlook, no one around for miles but us and the canyon. No guardrails, no tourists, just the way we like it.
IMG_2065_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2073_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2103_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2130_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2149_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2095_thumb1.jpg

Played around in the Canyon for a while, then headed off again back to Utah. Headed to Zion National Park.

defrag4

Road Warrior
Spotted some Coyotes
IMG_2154_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2156_thumb1.jpg

We arrived in Zion in the middle of the night, awoke surrounded by huge canyon walls and beautiful CLEAR weather! Something we have been lacking most of the trip.
IMG_2200_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2202_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2217_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2272_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2320_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2248_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2330_thumb1.jpg

Spent most of the day hiking around Zion, then headed off to explore more of Southern Utah.

Headed to Bryce Canyon. Amazing Scenery of course.
IMG_2341_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2349_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2360_thumb1.jpg

Bryce Canyon was pretty well snowed out when we got there, Still checked it out.
IMG_2364_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2368_thumb1.jpg

Spent most of the time running out the overlook then back to the car, was about 30F outside at the time! Too cold for this Florida boy.
IMG_2383_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2378_thumb1.jpg

From Bryce we headed down another backroad towards Capitol Reef National Park, sun went down and we setup another freezing camp. Awoke in the morning to frost covering the truck once again and dreary cloud cover.
IMG_2401_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2410_thumb1.jpg

defrag4

Road Warrior
The beautiful dirt road through Capitol Reef made up for the weather. This is a great drive and there was no one out here but us. We enjoyed taking our time cruising through this beautiful place.
IMG_2422_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2471_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2462_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2479_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2491_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2496_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2515_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2562_thumb1.jpg

Eventually the dirt road led us to Glen Canyon National Recreation area, which is home to most of Lake Powell. Similar to Hetch Hetchy in the Sierras, a environmental tragedy took place here where we dammed up the Colorado River and flooded the majestic Glen Canyon to increase water supply to the surrounding area. The created reservoir was named Lake Powell after one of my heroes.
IMG_2571_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2550_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2580_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2599_thumb1.jpg

We hit the highway once again and headed towards the 4x4’er mecca. AKA MOAB, UTAH!
IMG_2621_thumb1.jpg

Got to Moab in the middle of the night, shacked up in a cheap motel. I thought I had heard some strange noises coming from our trash bag we had been carrying since Grand Canyon. Messed around for a bit with it and didn’t see anything, figured I was just crazy. Next morning Lauren is doing Yoga and hears the same noises coming from the bag. We snatched it up and dumped it into the bathtub to investigate.

HITCHHIKER!
IMG_2629_thumb1.jpg

Screaming like little girls and dancing around the room in our underwear trying to catch him but he ended up escaping somewhere in the motel room. Sorry Motel6!

defrag4

Road Warrior
ow that our adrenaline was pumping it was time to go beat on the truck some. We headed to the “Poison Spider 4x4 Trail” to try our luck and see how far we could make it. Lauren has never been 4wheeling before and was pretty much peeing her pants the entire time as we drove all over this place. The 4Runner with little 31 inch tires and open differentials is still a pretty capable machine.

IMG_2707_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2649_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2737_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2705_thumb1.jpg

http://youtu.be/yzfzb9Tzjcs

IMG_2761_thumb1.jpg

http://youtu.be/f_T6A-4aWdQ

IMG_2717_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2765_thumb1.jpg

http://youtu.be/sJFLebowm0s

IMG_2770_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2754_thumb1.jpg

http://youtu.be/nPaj3VB_0rg

After mashing around in Moab for most of the day we were headed up to Grand Junction, CO. An awesome guy from MarlinCrawler forums had offered to help us fix up a few issues with the truck that we did not have the tools or knowledge to tackle ourselves.

IMG_2782_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2805_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2822_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2832_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2840_thumb1.jpg

Drove around Colorado National Monument looking for a campspot, eventually found some dirt road that we took, kept getting higher and higher into the mountain. Eventually we were driving through deep snow in the middle of no where, figured we should turn around. Well the rear wheels dropped into a icy rut and we were stuck. 30 minutes of winching later we were turned around and headed back down the road. The Smittybuilt winch is no longer a virgin and it worked like a champ!

Last edited:

defrag4

Road Warrior
Next morning headed over to Phillip’s shop in Grand Junction. The shops name is Karnage Fabrication, Phillip knows Toyota’s like the back of his hand. He has owned over 50 of them and had ours torn apart and fixed back up in no time. This guy was a lifesaver, The Toyota community is an great group and I feel honored to have met such an awesome guy and his beautiful family. We replaced the oil pan cork gasket with the proper sealant, fixed up a leaky inner ******** oil seal, and replaced the failing AUTO hubs with some beefy AISIN manual hubs. Thanks again Phil, you are our hero! And Thanks to Sean and Ace for grabbing some much needed parts. It was great to meet all of you!

IMG_2852_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2859_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2864_thumb1.jpg

IMG_2873_thumb1.jpg

Lauren and Phil’s daughter became bestest of friends.
IMG_2878_thumb1.jpg

4x4 Fabrication/Arts and Crafts. Karnage Fabrication has it all!
IMG_2901_thumb1.jpg

Headed off today for Vail to meet up with one of my dad’s old friends. Speaking of which… I should probably get on the horn and let him know were coming!

defrag4

Road Warrior
Some friends and I will be traveling through MX, GT, and BZ for a few weeks starting next month. I'll keep an eye on your travels. We'd love to link up with you guys while we're down there.

You're an inspiration! Congrats on getting started. Wish you well, friends.

Wes

thanks for the well wishes, we may see you down there!

defrag4

Road Warrior
It really sounds like you guys are enjoying the drive and dealing well with the issues of life on the road.
Thanks for taking the time to update us along the way.

ya buddy, ill take fixing up my truck and dealing with cold weather over sitting droning away in some florescent lit cubicle any day of the week!

ab1985

Explorer
Awesome trip so far, and this is just the shake down run, right? Keep the updates coming and be safe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles