Gas powered 12Volt charger

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have a bank of four AGM batteries in my trailer. I'd be concerned with throwing too many amps at them during the charge. Right now I use a Honda EU2000 generator that runs a built in smart charger in my trailer that is designed to charge AGM batteries. Seems to work fine for me.

And yes, I know a 2000 watt generator sounds like overkill....believe it or not, that was to be sure my other half can run her blow dryer!:shakin:

njtaco

Explorer
Tucson T4R said:
And yes, I know a 2000 watt generator sounds like overkill....believe it or not, that was to be sure my other half can run her blow dryer!:shakin:

I'm sure this small sacrifice was appreciated...:)

kbellve

Observer
Generally you can charge at 10% of your battery amp-hr capacity. I have 440 amp-hrs, so I should limit my charging to ~44amps. The smaller generaor maxes at 55amps, but in real wworld use, I am sure it is less and you coud always throttle it down.

njtaco

Explorer
kbellve,

Are you figuring your capacity by taking four 6V batteries, 110aH each, to get 440aH? IIRC, (I'm fuzzy on this) if you are using the batteries in a 12V configuration, you actually end up with 220 aH. This is because aH capacity adds only when in parallel, not in series. 10 percent is then 22A to charge, which is why I was thinking 55A is high. Am I off on this? It has been a while since I was schooled on it...

I still say it is a cool idea, worth looking into. :)

kbellve

Observer
njtaco, you are correct about halving the AH when you go from 6V to 12V, but you were 1/2 off of the AH capacity of my batteries :)

I believe my batteries are 220 AH each at 6Volt.

Just checked...they are Interstate U2200 batteries which have 232 AH. 4 * (232/2) = 464 AH.

Last edited:

3IMOH

BEWARE of "Batteries Are Us"!

Folks,

I purchased one of the yk-50 gas battery chargers from "batteries are us".

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index....oducts_id=6730

It was non-functioning when I received it. One of the cable posts was broken, and the led screen displayed gibberish when running. I called the seller to see about getting another unit, and he was incredibly rude. He did send me a new cable post, and he said he would order another display panel. Said it would take a couple of weeks to get in. It has been 2 months now and I have not seen (or heard) anything from him. I just called today to see what the status was on it, and he ended up hanging up on me! I am not very confident I will ever see this thing work. Unbelievable.

I don't really know what to do...does anyone have any suggestions? He has refused to take this unit back, so I think I am probably out $300.

Just wanted to share this in case anyone else was thinking of doing business with them...

-Howie

Robthebrit

Explorer
I have an IOTA 90Amp converter, just plug it into a generator or mains and you are charging at 90amps. Its only about 4x6x10 inches, about the size of an inverter and fits under the floor in the camper. Its also a perfectly clean power supply as well as a charger so its safe to run while you are using power. The gas powered alternator would have the same benefit which can't be said for all battery chargers. A 1.8kw Brigs engine probably takes more gas than the E2000 and makes a whole lot more noise. I think the converter is the best of all solutions as you can charge silently if mains power happens to be available, you can use any generator of your choosing, its also one less thing to carry.

A better way to carry a spare alternator would be to charge the aux battery with a second identical alternator and do away with the isolator, replace it with an jump switch so you can join the battery banks should either of the alternators fail. No tools required, just flick a switch and continue driving. You might have to disconnect the power connector to the broken alternator if its shorting or making dirty power.

You can also use the switch to join the batteries and alternators if you need lots of power for winching or fast charging (useful when idling the engine or driving a short distance). When winching, with 2x130amps from the alternators you'd be pulling really hard on the winch before you even touch the batteries.

This is how my mog is set up, it uses a solenoid for the transfer. I have never had to use it because both alternators work but its good to know its there.

Rob

LXRACR

Observer
Plug in chargers-

I already have a EU2000. I also have a Vector 50 amp charger in my garage. Couldn't I run that off the generator and have the same thing?

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
...You can also use the switch to join the batteries and alternators if you need lots of power for winching or fast charging (useful when idling the engine or driving a short distance). When winching, with 2x130amps from the alternators you'd be pulling really hard on the winch before you even touch the batteries....

Wouldn't the alternators both see each other as fully charged batteries and just regulate back?

Sean

peekay

Adventurer
as someone already mentioned, why not just get a 1000w or 2000w Honda with a battery charger ac to dc? Those Hondas will run forever, plus, you have the versatility of 110 vlt.

alternatively, just get a jumper cable and use your vehicle? I've idled for hours on end, and it didn't appear to use hardly any gas.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:lurk: Let me throw this in for grins--

--I use SOLAR and I camp in the Norther Sierras, yes I have to move the Pnl several times during the day, but,it has no moving parts and is QUIET !!!

--
IMGP0644-1.jpg

--I have a battery in my trailer that will "drop in " my Xterra, should it's battery fail and I have a 25' cord to the panel for moveability, with a 7 amp controller and a DC voltage solid state ckt to kill all load power when the Battery gets below 12.4 volts, then the SOLAR just charges the battery--

--I have a SOLAR 1.5 watt panel to keep the battery "topped off" during travel and a "battery condition meter" to show the state of the battery at any time--

--

--Seems to work flawlessly and QUIET-

--

--I would think seriously about SOLAR and perhaps dual batt's and deep cycle--

---:bigbossHL: :bigbossHL: --JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles