Gas powered 12Volt charger

D

Deleted member 9101

Ok, so has anyone actually done this and made it happen or is this just academic?
I seem to remember a military 24vdc charger that was powered by a small petrol engine to charge 24 volt systems (radio truck batteries or something). I think you need a few more pieces like a charge controller, fuel tank, cage to hold it all together... might be easier to buy something already built.:coffee:

I have seen one many years ago in Colorado while camping on BLM land. The guy had a tiller motor with a pulley on it and a GM alternator from summit racing. The motor has the built in gas tank, and you set the throttle by hand. The alternator does everything else, no different than when its in a car. I woudl imagine you could toss in a small 10" electric fan to keep things cool and it woudl be a done deal.

Hell, when something shows up with a motor I like on craigslist cheap I am going to build one to solve this...lol. If I can get a good running motor, and figure out the RPM's I need it shoudl be a very easy build.

magentawave

Adventurer
I now use a 30 amp smart charger with my 1000 watt generator. This combination will take my batteries from 75 to 100 percent in a little over four hours. The alternator of the truck charges the bank slowly at best and only used as an addition when traveling. Perhaps a system could be used with an inverter to bring power to the charger, but this seems inefficient at best.

Are you still using this system to charge your batteries? If so, what is the brand/model of the 30 amp charger you're using with the generator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne