Custom fuel tank

postalWagon

Adventurer
I am interested in getting a custom fuel tank made for my Jeep.
What would be a reasonable price range for a ~full width under seat tank?
does anybody use one and have pros and cons?

The desired goal is to go from a 12 gallon/45 liter tank to one that is ~25 gallons with a fill neck on both sides of the Jeep.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
$500 to $1000 is what you should expect to pay. I had a 19.5gal tank built for my Tacoma, cost me $500.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Where are you talking about getting one made? I did a search about 2 years ago and couldn't fine anyone to make a custom auxiliary tank for my rig (96 Montero).

greg mgm

Explorer
I had a sheet metal shop build an aluminum 23 gal tank for my baja. Cost was
$300, but that was 10 years ago. Don't know your location but check your states smog laws before doing this project.

there are also strict government regulations on who can and cant build fuel containers, and the insurance policies that the companies who can have to carry. that is what dictates the price!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I don't know about who can and can't, the gov doesn't care about that. They care about safety & the environment (or so they tell us, but I'm digressing...). There are FMVSS sections that deal with the construction of gasoline and diesel fuel tanks and or if they can be inter-connected. The TransferFlow web page used to make a big deal about what the tests are and how well their tanks do in the testing, particularly in the drop test. Might have look if interested in that sort of thing.

Then the EPA gets their say in things. If dealing with an emissions controlled vehicle the tank will need to have all of the appropriate connections available. If the vehicle in question is a 1996 or newer model then it will need to have all of that or the computer will throw a fault code. Finally, and my info is sketchy on this so investigate it first, but the charcoal canister may have a tank size range where it works and if that range is exceeded a new canister for a bigger tank may be needed. I've not seen much said about this, but I have run across it in a couple places. No idea what the physical and legal constraints are.

All of that aside, some considerable though needs to be given to baffling the tank and creating an internal sump for the fuel pick-up or partial fuel level combined with vehicle angularity or high enough lateral G's can result in fuel starvation. If this is an EFI system that will be near instant death to the fuel pump as they need fuel in them for both lubrication and cooling.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
If the vehicle in question is a 1996 or newer model then it will need to have all of that or the computer will throw a fault code.
All of that aside, some considerable though needs to be given to baffling the tank and creating an internal sump for the fuel pick-up or partial fuel level combined with vehicle angularity or high enough lateral G's can result in fuel starvation. If this is an EFI system that will be near instant death to the fuel pump as they need fuel in them for both lubrication and cooling.

My tank was in an 04 Tacoma. Never had a cel come on. Then again we designed it to work as a transfer tank and simply fill the stock tank.

The guy who built mine built baffels into it. Ya kind of have to for a fuel tank. I ran an electric high flow external pump. Never had any problems with my pump.

I put about 35,000 miles on my truck with the aux tank. Never had any problems with it at all. Worked great and gave me a 500 miles range.

liftedlimo

Adventurer
I used to work at a fab shop and we made stuff like this on occasion. 500 bucks minimum for a quality tank with baffles, fuel sensor, fuel neck, pump mount, etc. They can be made for less money if you just make a steel "box" with no baffles or fuel gauge.

Make sure to seal the inside. Google gas tank seal kits.

If it were me(and my jeeps) I would(and have) just the plain steel box fuel tanks. One if them is a 45 gallon monster that my Dad made years and years ago. The others are smaller but are the same thing.

aka rover

Adventurer
If you have a fab shop you work with, try seeing if they will fab from a full size model. I do this often with my local Machine shop and they like it. I use card board and build the tank to my demensions lots of duct tape!!!. They then take the tank or model and cut it apart and baffel and build to there standards, this way you dont have to pay them for all the mock up time and so on. This has worked very well for me and saves alot last tank I had made was under 350.00 was a small tank 18 gals. thats has been a few years now.

Good Luck

A boat building shop is a good source for this kind of work.

axeman

i was always going to do the double under seat tanks on my jeep. Look at cj 2A types, 12 gallons i think.i have seen guys put one on each side,they go under seat. Old military cj style is 18 gallon,goes under driver seat through floor to bottom of frame. Or try www.nwmp.com

FellowTraveler

Explorer
North West Metal Products does quality work their tanks are an easy install too.

"No, I have no affiliation with them other than using their products".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior