2011 v8 Colorado build

mbryson

Observer
Just a question about your truck. I was not aware the Colorado/Canyon could be had with a 5.3L V8. I did some checking yesterday and found out the platform is discontinued and trucks are a bit scarce with the V8. The mfg literature lists a 6000 lb towing ability with the V8. You have a truck. Would you tow that much weight (say a trail Jeep on a trailer---that'll be right at the limit--around 5500-6000 lbs--Jeep weighs 4480 lbs alone, not sure on the trailer) with your truck if you weren't as modified as you are?

onelow1ton

Adventurer
I would with the right trailer and brake controller I'll get the info on my trailer and controller latter but I have a pj trailer b5 buggy hauler with dual 5200 lbs axles and dual brakes and I forget the name but I have a p3 controller google will bring it up with that

Just 2 weeks ago I talked to an older couple sitting on I95 traffic with a stock extended cab v8 z71 Colorado towing a bumper pull 6800 lb camper and only thing he had was a controller and helper bags because the stock leafs suck on these trucks

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Went to turkey bay off road park last weekend in land between the lakes in Kentucky all I can say is wow what a nice area , wish I dad more time to explore more
775e8f9f88a79d012594591509a885dc.jpg

fc792bc631f5dc64ae7a8da7144dff23.jpg

807f5430ba77d25628d57cc9bbcb1a01.jpg

440552e9d732da10fa09e884105af2ec.jpg

2c2fca50703773ce8dc2cbcc91738007.jpg

c984ccac821f18d220efb8fbad12550f.jpg

ab6a25421a570c916bc8d5706976e570.jpg

fc1320c92788a0c0cf80aee0038552be.jpg

onelow1ton

Adventurer
I went out and took some ruff measurements and putting the mounts right in front of the trans x-member for the control arms it will set the caster right and only push the axle forward 2" right where I want it the frame is just narrow enough I can reuse the coils and mounts , and I think I'll be looking for a land cruiser steering box because it should work perfect, I ordered adjustable coil buckets and shock towers from ballistic fab and all the brackets and u-bolts and hangers from ruff stuff to do the Chevy 63" leaf swap and soa in the rear

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
I wasn't sure about the thing at the beginning of the thread.. but a couple pages into it, I started liking it more and more.. Now I totally love it. Good work! Awesome..

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Thanks , post people look down on it when they see a Colorado build but have a change of heart when they see what's going on

SLO_F-250

Explorer
onelow,

Nice rig! Very impressed. Subscribed!

I am debating on building a similar swing out rear bumper for my truck. Does it hinder you all when you tow a trailer? I have a 16ft box trailer I tow occasionally. I'm wondering if I have a few jerry cans on the back with spare if it will hinder the turning radius.

Thanks

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Cool to see it in action. I wish I could have made the KY run. Definitely looks like a great place. :D

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Thanks SLO, in normal driving conditions no it does not affect it but I was using my buddy's 14' box trailer trying to back it up a hill and make a 90* turn at the same time with a car parked across the street from where I was backing up so I was very limited on space and turned the trailer past 90* and the jack on the trailer hit the can holder enough to put a small dent in both but it was a very steep driveway and I was about to jack knife the trailer anyway trying to avoid hitting the car , on my open car trailer the jack is far enough back there's no issues , that box I was using had the jack coming up through the hitch plate

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Cool to see it in action. I wish I could have made the KY run. Definitely looks like a great place. :D

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Once I get my sas done I'm going to make a point to try and come down to wheel with you , and than I should be able to be a little closer to being able to keep up with you , mine will not be as flexy as your and ill only be on 37s but ill give it my best lol

Yeah the ky trip was fun , I just wish I had more time to explore some more we just went around the border of the place

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
37" might actually be a better choice since you get to keep COG nice and low. Can't wait to see it in action. :)

Ex Umbris Venimus

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Thanks SLO, in normal driving conditions no it does not affect it but I was using my buddy's 14' box trailer trying to back it up a hill and make a 90* turn at the same time with a car parked across the street from where I was backing up so I was very limited on space and turned the trailer past 90* and the jack on the trailer hit the can holder enough to put a small dent in both but it was a very steep driveway and I was about to jack knife the trailer anyway trying to avoid hitting the car , on my open car trailer the jack is far enough back there's no issues , that box I was using had the jack coming up through the hitch plate

Thanks! Good to know its not too big of a deal. Looking forward to seeing more work on your rig!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Just Sick! Looks awesome! I see different plates on the truck, did you move?
Love the color and the size of the truck lifted. What kind of milage does she get now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier