Replacement Axle for M416

Shakey

I'm considering a replacement axle for my M416 as I want to run 5x4.5 wheels with ~3.75" backspacing. But I have some questions.

Looking at this:
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/2009/A/A6-A15.pdf

That suggests I can get the following in a replacement axle:
1) any width I want
2) 5x4.5 hubs
3) electronic brake
4) parking brake (no mention as to whether it's electric or manual)

Theoretically, that's everything I'm looking for, but I can't find a single thread here where someone has a replacement axle with all of that. So I think I'm missing something.

Questions:
1) How do I determine the width I want? I have a M416 and want to run 5x4.5 wheels that match my Jeep. The backspacing will be about 3.75" and I'll run tires 12.5" wide.
2) I know I can get 5x4.5 hubs, but can I get hubs narrow enough to fit the center bore on typical Jeep wheels?
3) How does the parking brake work? Is it only electronic? I want a manual brake, but I can't find much information out there on the possibility.

Finally, the linked PDF shows 4" drop axles. Is it possible to run one of those upside down and basically create a semi-portal axle? This would give me 4" of lift without running spring over. Again, I've can't find anything here discussing that, so I assume I'm missing something obvious and that it's impossible.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I've got the first 3 things on my axle and am happy with it running stock TJ gambler wheels with no issues. If you want to swing by sometime and check it out let me know (I'm assuming shakey on co4x4 too). I liked the parking brake idea but was running into a time crunch with mine and could not wait to figure it all out, had to go with a standard width as well but with the stock backpacking on the wheels I consider it about perfect behind the ZJ.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Be sure to check this out...

http://www.timbren.com/axle-less1.htm

Axle-Less10.jpg

Very compelling, extra space underneath for a water tank, spare tire etc with no axle in the way.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I'm no expert, but just today ordered an axle for a Bantam T3,

1) How do I determine the width I want? I have a M416 and want to run 5x4.5 wheels that match my Jeep. The backspacing will be about 3.75" and I'll run tires 12.5" wide.

Determined lenght of axle; pulled a wheel off, placed it face down, put straight edge across back of tire, measured from straight edge to rim/ hub face add 2" inch for frame clearance, double these numbers and add to frame/tub width.

2) I know I can get 5x4.5 hubs, but can I get hubs narrow enough to fit the center bore on typical Jeep wheels?

Assume you are refering to late model OEM Jeep rims. Not that I know of, you can get spacers so the Jeep rim would fit past the hub.

3) How does the parking brake work? Is it only electronic? I want a manual brake, but I can't find much information out there on the possibility.

Don't know

Finally, the linked PDF shows 4" drop axles. Is it possible to run one of those upside down and basically create a semi-portal axle? This would give me 4" of lift without running spring over. Again, I've can't find anything here discussing that, so I assume I'm missing something obvious and that it's impossible

I wondered about this too???

slimtwo

Adventurer
I resently purchased an axle for my MBT willys trailer from Redneck Trailer supplies. It has elect. brakes with a 5 on 4.5 lug patern and EZ lube hubs. I did not get the parking brake, however, I can buy the parts and add it on later (I believe it is mechanical). the part number is as follows;

1ea. 35545E-ST-EZ 52HF x 36SC each 3.5K 545 elect. straight
**Half Camber** EZ-lube ** double spring seats (I did this so I could do a spring over or regular axle mounting)
1 ea. apubr-1 U-bolt kit 2 3/8" RD 1/2" U-Bolts

The total cost for the axle and u-bolts was $293.88.
I am using a 15 x 8" rim and 33" x 12-50 BFG 15" MT's. There is approx 1.5 to 2" of back spacing between the trailer and tire.

I am very happy with the way it worked out.

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
I just installed the same axle you are looking at. But mine is for a bantam trailer instead of a m416, which I think is 3" wider. My tread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/87710-Trailer-for-the-wife/page6

You can see the bracket and mechanical parking brake are at the top of the axle.

Edit: I couldn't find the info for the axle length either, so I just put the new tires under the trailer with 3/4" extra per side of spacing between the tire and trailer. Than just measured between the two wheels

Last edited:

Flashole

Adventurer
I just picked up my new axle from Redneck today. I'm going to run the same wheel/tire combo as on my jeep, so after much consideration, here's what i did.

15" x 8" steel wheels. 3.75" of backspacing. (No, the stock take off wheels will not fit the new axle.)
33" x 12.5" x 15" Good Year Duratracs
3,500 LB straight axle
57" from hub face to hub face. (The stock axle is also 57" BTW)
5 on 4.5" lug pattern
39" From spring center to spring center.
Electric brakes. (no parking brake)
Had them set it up for spring over axle. No idea what the difference is.
New U-bolt kit
$268 total.

I will be installing the axle tomorrow. So, I guess I will find out then what it looks like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles