SpaceKap Camper

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Sooooooo....

I've been thinking.....again...(smell something burning?)

and I want to put THIS...a fiberglass SpaceKap

sk1.jpg

sk2.jpg

sk3.jpg

On THIS........

My M116A2....

photo-67.jpg

Of course I'd have to change the axle, so the wheels match the 4Runner, and add a few goodies like batteries, water tank, exterior kitchen (I'm still really hot on that, it's really nice to use, and easy to set up) My other thought is to have a nice size room off the back (10' x 10') and an awning out each side. The inside would just be a sleeping platform, that folds into a couch if need be. I would have to build a nosebox, probably fiberglass, anf fill in under the sides that would normally be sitting on a truck bed (with aluminum) and some access doors.

Thoughts?.....

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
They're Upstate NY by Syaracuse...I think they could be had for around 3 grand or so...talked to dude Friday.

My thought is the "pod" portion would be ready to go, say for outside of color matching to the truck, and is already waterproof, AC'd, windows, etc.

So my initial thought is it's a lot less work just to slide that baby on there, chuck a new brake axle under it, and fill in the sides and nose.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
For three grand I bet you could search TRUCK TRADER and find one with a pick up attached.
Sell the truck and keep the pod.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Soooo... You thinking of building up the sides of your M116A2 to match the dimensions of one of these things? Then you could slide out the camper and have a semi-instant utility trailer with side storage boxes/bins. Instant kitchen enclosure! Man, I like the way you think (or was that just me). :sombrero:

Also liking the A/C unit on top and the clamshell rear doors. I wonder how heavy these things are?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
@Bill

Hopefully enough room to throw a pair of pants on to jump out the back doors in the morning. I think it would be a real time saver to have the pod for the most part done. Thinking out loud I think as raised or elevated sleeping platform to allow room for storage and/or systems under it. I think there's a lot to be said about a bed already made up, without requiring set up (i.e. RTT)...maybe I'm getting too soft..:ylsmoke:

@highlandercj-7

Tis true...but without the big trailer to go with it. I'm familiar now with the brake axle swap on the trailer, so that doesn't scare me, and I think it has tons of potential as a lighter, more nimble trailer than a full size, like a Casita, which may not go everywhere. I would feel confident to pull that M116A2 anywhere...I think it's one of the best platforms out there...I'd just to find one with an aluminum deck.

@SWITAWI

You scare me.....:ylsmoke: We may have been seperated at birth..:smiley_drive:

@Xrunner

Thanks...that is actually what started this whole CF...I saw that and start searching the interwebs

@Mark

Goodpoint...checked it out and nothing...."I'll keep an eye out though..

I'm pretty sure they weigh around 500lbs or so. Like I mentioned to Bill...I like the thought of minuimal setup to sleep. Stay tuned, once I get the original measurments I'll get the Sketch Up juices flowing...

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I am toying with a similar idea for my next trailer, but have never seen a shell as nice as this SpaceKap. Do you have any idea about the weight of those?

sapper

Adventurer
I have often thought of doing something similar with my M101A2 after seeing te S-250 shelter mounted on one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz