Selk Bag Sleeping Bag?

brushogger

Explorer
I didn't see a temp rating on it. Looks kind of cool though. It could also double as a Gumby costume for halloween.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liftedlimo

Adventurer
I have 2 of them. WAY to large, not made for low temps(the model I got at least), you have to buy their "feet" not to get your sleeping bag/outfit dirty, and generally EXTREMELY overpriced for what you get.

That being said I ordered 2 of them as gag gifts for my brother and I camping. I have yet to actually want to wear it for more then 5 minutes, or even outside my house.

Cool idea? yes. Practical? Nope.

Storz

Explorer
The one I am looking at has a 35* rating, which would cover most of the camping I do here in NC. Which model do you have liftedlimo?

liftedlimo

Adventurer
I have the classic bag, 35 degree is said. I wouldn't use it as a sleeping bag in anything under 50 personally. I ordered large sizes as my brother and I are in that size range. The packaging said large/x-large on it. The bags are at least 10 inches to long in the feet and arms to be practical. If I ordered one again I would order a medium for a 5' 10" person.

Long story short, they are a gimmic and I wasted 400 bucks on them. I think one of mine has been worn once, and the other maybe 6 times. Ill sell them to you for half of new price:sombrero:

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Spring for a Warmlite bag with the integrated air mattress. It is just like sleeping on my bed at home and you can toss around all you want. It is the last and only bag I bought.

www.warmlite.com

Mark

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
OOPPSS, I forgot to mention that the family that owns warmilte has a bit of an unusual lifestyle practice and they are not shy about it.

Look at it this way.. nice photos, and heck if you are buying a sleeping bag from a Nudist you know it should be warm :)

Mark

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
OOPPSS, I forgot to mention that the family that owns warmilte has a bit of an unusual lifestyle practice and they are not shy about it.

Look at it this way.. nice photos, and heck if you are buying a sleeping bag from a Nudist you know it should be warm :)

Mark

I'm very interested in the bag as it works from -60F to +60F, has the integrated sleeping pad, is water resistant, and you can zip multiple bags together. How long have you had your bag? This would have to be a lifetime investment. Do you know of any other vendors that have a comparable solution?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Selk gave me one of their bags to try. After the rep asked me for the fifth time how I liked it I had to admit I hadn't used it. So, I gave it a go.

Complete crap.

Aside from being poorly made, it's goofy to the power of ten. It also made me nuts as I couldn't regulate my temperature worth a darn. It's not like a regular bag that you can unzip slightly in a demi-sleep to cool down.

My biggest complaint? Its dorkiness is only rivaled by Five Finger shoes and rat tail hair cuts.

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
I bought my warmlite bag in 2006. Before that I had mixed results with a MTN Hardware Synthetic 20F bag. I found that I would fall asleep, overheat, then soak the bag a bit with perspiration and then have a cold rest of the night. I tend to perspire alot in general so I did loads of research and found that a bag with a vapor barrier would help. With the warmlite vapor barrier I sense when I am too hot right away and vent the bag accordingly. The large foot-box vents the bag very well.

I have used the bag in everything from my RTT to a Hammock. Sometimes I just use the ait mattress and use a bedsheet in the hot summer. In the fall I normally just use the thin top. When things get really cold I use both tops to warm up and then just the thick top. I have never had to use both for the whole night yet.

The only downside is when both tops and the air mattress are packed in the carry bag it is large and heavy about 7 LBS so putting it on a pack might be a pain. I do not find the size a problem for overlanding though.

As far as I know there is no other bag like it except maybe from Wiggys's. I will be buying one for my wife too.

Mark

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
My wife and i got the Selk sleeping bags as a wedding gift.
Quality is so-so and i wouldnt use it by itself for anything under 30*F. Actually over the weekend i was out doing the Mojave Desert trail with temps down in the mid 20's at night and i just opened up another sleeping bag and used it as a blanket which worked out great.
I do like the freedom of being able move about and roll around while sleeping

Yossa

Steer clear of the selk bags - waste of money and poor quality of finish. They are releasing a Patagon model in 2012, which is supposed to be rated to much lower temperatures. A great idea, but very poorly implemented, which is a shame. I´d recommend Rab, as they´re hand made, with amazing quality. I use this one (http://rab.uk.com/products/sleeping-bags/alpine_1/alpine-600.html) and find I can be comfortable, if not cosy, when it´s blowing a hoolie on a freezing mountain. They´re not cheap, around 700 USD, but you get what you pay for. Before that I had a North Face Cat´s Meow, which was OK, but didn´t live up to my expectations. Never found myself totally comfortable in it.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
My wife and i got the Selk sleeping bags as a wedding gift.
Quality is so-so and i wouldnt use it by itself for anything under 30*F. Actually over the weekend i was out doing the Mojave Desert trail with temps down in the mid 20's at night and i just opened up another sleeping bag and used it as a blanket which worked out great.
I do like the freedom of being able move about and roll around while sleeping

Ah ha! I got pics of you looking like Gumby. :elkgrin:
_DSC9301.jpg

_DSC9310.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94