FYI on some solar panel sales

pods8

Explorer
Just a heads up for anyone interested I noticed solarblvd.com is running some good looking sales on a few sized panels:
100watt- $135
80watt - $129
60watt - $80
40watt- $55

Even though I don't NEED solar the temptation got to me so I ordered the 100watt panel above for my camper build. :p I paired it with a Sunsaver SS-10, also an FYI the Gen 3 sunsavers do stage charging, I was not aware of that previously and tipped the scales in my decision since it has the functions I'd want in a compact/affordable controller. Gen 3 sunsaver manual has charge profiles listed (page 8 of 11mb pdf)

The prices have really come down in the last few years. I remember when $4.00/watt was a good deal. I'm in the same boat as you. I don't need one but it sure would be fun to play with.

pods8

Explorer
Yeah I've been on the fence watching them around $1.85-2.00/watt but with that one panel at $1.35/watt it tipped the scale for me since I could get a panel and controller shipped for under $200. Stuff may come down a bit more over the years but you can only get so low when you still have material costs for the aluminum frame, protective cover, etc. so I felt pulling the trigger now was probably a good enough bet that they won't get substaintially cheaper over the next couple years.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just a heads up for anyone interested I noticed solarblvd.com is running some good looking sales on a few sized panels:
100watt- $135
80watt - $129
60watt - $80
40watt- $55

Even though I don't NEED solar the temptation got to me so I ordered the 100watt panel above for my camper build. :p I paired it with a Sunsaver SS-10, also an FYI the Gen 3 sunsavers do stage charging, I was not aware of that previously and tipped the scales in my decision since it has the functions I'd want in a compact/affordable controller. Gen 3 sunsaver manual has charge profiles listed (page 8 of 11mb pdf)

Wow. Whats a good controller for the 60 watt 12v panel? What all else is needed to link the panel to a second battery?

:drool:

pods8

Explorer
Wow. Whats a good controller for the 60 watt 12v panel? What all else is needed to link the panel to a second battery?

I went with morningstar stuff for their decent reliability reviews. I liked the sunsaver controller personally, you'd only need an SS-6 for that size panel though (assuming you didn't think you'd want more capacity later). I haven't read up much on the small/basic Sunguard SG-4 that also has enough capacity for your panel that you could potentially consider.

Wiring is needed from panel to controller and controller to battery. Panels might require special connector cables. The listing doesn't say what the connectors are specifically though so I ordered my panel first to check it out and decide from there. Might be possible to open up the panel junction box to install your own wiring rather than sticking with the manufacturers connectors.

There are threads on other folks installations to review.

herm

Adventurer
what you you guys thing of the BZ charge controllers? i am about ready to get in on this too. 2 of the 100 watt panels for me.

kclark421

Observer
Yea great prices, hope the QA is there

I ordered a couple of the 40 watt panels last week, my plan is to build a foldable panel to supply power to my ARB fridge and 12 volt LED lights in my teardrop I'm building. I'll use a Morning Star SS-10-12 controller. I'm tempted to order a another 80 watt panel.

pods8

Explorer
what you you guys thing of the BZ charge controllers? i am about ready to get in on this too. 2 of the 100 watt panels for me.

If you go read some threads in the windsun.com forum they've concluded they suck. If you're thinking MPPT the sunsaver MPPT is probably the lowest cost one of those. Another unit that got decent reviews at windsun is this Rogue unit: http://www.roguepowertech.com/products/mpt3024.htm which if you were thinking about a Sunsaver MPPT, battery temp probe, and digital display isn't that much cost difference.

Yea great prices, hope the QA is there

I ordered a couple of the 40 watt panels last week, my plan is to build a foldable panel to supply power to my ARB fridge and 12 volt LED lights in my teardrop I'm building. I'll use a Morning Star SS-10-12 controller. I'm tempted to order a another 80 watt panel.

I'm assuming/hoping they are probably throwing out the lower price and running it as a big group buy.

Same controller I opted for. Did you notice the GEN 3's have bulk and float charging now? That's pretty nice for the price point.

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Those guys are located in NorCo so you could maybe pick up the goods in person if they allow it and save on shipping. The standard PWM Sunsaver units were about $39 to $79through them and it is a nice controller.

kclark421

Observer
Those guys are located in NorCo so you could maybe pick up the goods in person if they allow it and save on shipping. The standard PWM Sunsaver units were about $39 to $79through them and it is a nice controller.

They do have the option of pick up, but for me is was more cost effective (gas, time etc) to ship the 2-40 watt panels to my door $12.00. They won't ship until the 24 of November, I called to see what type of connectors will be on the back, they said they are not sure, the last two shipments they got were different, one shipment had cables and the other just had j-boxes.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Might be possible to open up the panel junction box to install your own wiring rather than sticking with the manufacturers connectors.

If it's a type with a j-box on the back, then there is no wiring and you can use your choice of wire out of the j-box.

But if it's already fitted with MC3 or MC4 connectors - removing them generally voids the warranty.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Another unit that got decent reviews at windsun is this Rogue unit: http://www.roguepowertech.com/products/mpt3024.htm which if you were thinking about a Sunsaver MPPT, battery temp probe, and digital display isn't that much cost difference.

The Rogue is excellent. Originally sold as a kit, or you could pay them to assemble it for you.

I don't think they're doing the kit thing on the new unit.

Only drawback is it's not UL listed, so it won't be used for installs that require inspection by the Building and Safety Dept.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The Rogue is excellent. Originally sold as a kit, or you could pay them to assemble it for you.

I don't think they're doing the kit thing on the new unit.

Only drawback is it's not UL listed, so it won't be used for installs that require inspection by the Building and Safety Dept.

Yup, no more kits from them. I think it was last year when I called them and asked.

I went with morningstar stuff for their decent reliability reviews. I liked the sunsaver controller personally, you'd only need an SS-6 for that size panel though.
Hey Doc, I have been using a Morningstar as well. SunSaver 6 for over a year, haven't had any problems.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
What's the reason these solar panels are so cheap compared to equivalent products produced by Goal Zero and Powerfilm? The Goal Zero 30 Watt panel is about $280!!!! Goal Zero equipment seems to connect a little easier, but I'll do some work to save this kind of money.... Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94